Tips for city driving? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tips for city driving?

Just got done with a pretty mountainous trip through PA going about 65-70 cruising almost the whole way. Even with A/C on, I filled up at my destination and got my best real-world tank yet: 44 at 2,500 miles. Since I started tracking real-world, my mpg has continued to go up (41.5, 43, now 44) so I assume it still has a little to go as the car fully breaks-in.

However I find I usually get much better mpg in highway driving (which I'm sure is typical of the Insight). Even going up those big mountains at 65 with harsh blue around the speedo, the car would balance out with all the coasting downhill. In city conditions, I feel like traffic light definitely screw with my mpg. I've gotten pretty good with coasting as soon as I know I have to stop and braking as early as possible, but there's only so slow you can accelerate without having people behind you start flipping you various birds. Anyone found any good tricks to increase city driving with a lot of traffic stopping? I've tried to actually accelerate a bit faster to get to coasting speed quicker, and I've heard some people here echo that.
Dibidoolandas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 01:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

I hate traffic lights, I think the city has a sensor that turns every one of them red as I get close to them. They drain my battery big time when I keep catching them one right after the other.
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

I look way down the road to the road conditions and traffic up ahead. Just leave a gap between you and the car ahead & try to start coasting when you see break lights. It sometimes upsets the drivers behind you, but we all arrive at about the same time anyway. Be patient & don't mind the honks as long as you are driving safely. Good luck!
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

i have noticed that i get over 70mpg instantaneous when going 35mph and i get 60mpg instantaneous when going 45mph. Basically, I can get 3 ticks over 50mpg going 35mph. This is the insights sweet spot per se.

my drive to work is 7 miles of urban with about 10 stop lights. i have noticed that i get much better mpg by moderately accelerating to the 35mpg Speed Limit and staying there. The Insight is rated at 70mpg on the Japanese Cycle because they test it at 35mph.

Also, you will continue to get better mpg as the insight breaks in. This will be completed after you reach 7500 miles and get your first oil change. do not change before the indicator tells you to.

Pump up your tires over 40psi.

Last edited by silverinsight; 10-10-2010 at 07:11 PM.
silverinsight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 09:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I accelerate at 2 grand, ride the brakes as much as possible. I get like 54mpg on the mid. I try to not use the hvac and open the windows. If auto stop does not take place, force it by shifting to nutral, keying off, then back to on and restart as soon as the light changes and shift back to drive.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
I accelerate at 2 grand, ride the brakes as much as possible. I get like 54mpg on the mid. I try to not use the hvac and open the windows. If auto stop does not take place, force it by shifting to nutral, keying off, then back to on and restart as soon as the light changes and shift back to drive.
Ha, I've never keyed off but I do try and force auto-stop by advancing a little and braking fast to try and re-engage it.

And Silver, I've definitely noticed the sweet spot thing. I find I'm best right when I'm coasting in low 40's, sadly with traffic lights I'm rarely given the chance to do it for long.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

[QUOTE=silverinsight;174380]
Also, you will continue to get better mpg as the insight breaks in. This will be completed after you reach 7500 miles and get your first oil change. do not change before the indicator tells you to.

Why is it that "breaking in" improves mileage? Is this real, or just a myth?
TepuruMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

[QUOTE=TepuruMan;174418]
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverinsight View Post

From what I've heard it's a matter of your car's mechanics getting used to operating the way they're supposed to - a sort of well-oiled machine scenario. The more you use it, the more efficient it gets.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

[QUOTE=TepuruMan;174418]
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverinsight View Post

Breaking in seems to be a mythical truth. Truth in that the pistons are manufactured with some wear in mind and that wear needs to be realized so the pistons are primed and seat in nicely. And it`s myth in that every engine are not made equal and not used by the same driver or driven the same way, no one can tell exactly how much break in is enough.

The Insight manual does mention a 1000km break in period and that one should not redline the engine during that period, not that the computer will ever let you do so anyway
carniver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default break in

engine break in for the honda insight is not a myth. the engine oil placed in the engine at the honda plant is a specially designed oil. it is conventional (non-synthetic) and very, very high in molybdenum as well as other additives.

you will see a 5-10% increase in mpg once the engine is broken in and when synthetic oil is used.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in