Hpw can I increase my MPG? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Hpw can I increase my MPG?

I've been driving my new Insight for about 6 weeks and have not been able to get over 43 mpg. I've read the posts about quick (in blue) acceleration and slow braking. I've had it on one trip and got it to 49.1 on the trip, but the whole tank of gas was only 43.15.

I do no highway driving.

but what else can I do to get my mpg up?
Denisede is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

It will get better in time. First check your tire pressure and boost it a little. Make sure autostop is working at the red lights. Don't use the air conditioner. Use the cues from the MID and other gauges kinda like a game going for high score.

I do good on trips to work, to the store, and to specific venues. I often lose out on good MPG when driving in the parking lots, short distance drives, and when I get boxed in by drivers paying more attention to their cell phones than the road.

Your first oil change should give better results too. Just drive smooth and be patient.
Jayemtee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, J. I'll try to be patient and work at it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default So so in city

Hi,

I've had the I2 for 700 miles now. I've noticed two very distinct kinds of driving styles with my car.

My wife drives it during the weekend doing short little LA city trips with tons of stops. This seems to give the worst MPG for I2. Her weekly average is only about 35mpg! (She has no notion of hypermiling whatsoever. If I drive her same routes I can get 40 easy)

The second driving style we do is medium speed freeway on Pacific Coast Highway for 60 miles in each direction. If I use cruise control set at 62 mph I can EASILY get 55mpg.

So, our combined average is about 44 mpg.

There are lots of little tricks I use to get to 40 in unfriendly driving situations. You just have to learn them by watching the MID. There are so many it would be hard to write them all down. One important one I use is to feather the gas pedal when coasting so that the battery maintains my speed (on level ground or slightly downhill).

Hope this helps.
TepuruMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've been driving my I2 for 2200 miles in the UK and so far my overall average UK mpg is 52 according to the MID. This equals about 43mpg (US).

I have a 15 mile commute each morning with the first 6 miles or so being slow stop go traffic. Often the auto stop won't even function with the cold engine, de-mister and uphill/downhill terrain all conspiring against me.

When the schools are off I get a clearer run and can hit the govt figures of 60mpg(UK).

I've also been calculating the actual mpg by filling to the neck and recording distance since about the 3rd fill. This method shows about 50mpg(UK).

I'm still saving a fortune on my 21mpg Audi A6 that I had before the Insight! 80 pm instead of around 250pm!!!

(conversion factor of 1USgal=0.833UKgal
bubblebuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 08:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks, guys.

I know I'm being impatient, but I want to get to optimum mpg asap. I'll try your suggestions.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Some things I've noted and try to do when driving to improve mpg:

1) When using cruise control on the motorway (That's Freeway in US English!) I go about 5mph past the speed I want to cruise at and then activate cruise control. Observe the real time mpg on the MID and if it decreases then I would knock the Cruise speed down 1mph and this will restore "hypermiling"mode.
2) When coming to sections of road that are slightly uphill you can counter the big increase in fuel consumption by speeding up earlier and Coasting up the hill. This works best for commuting journey's where you get to know the good spots and bad spots for fuel economy.
3) don't use the heated seats if you have them
4) knock off the AC in the mornings. If your screen is misting up give a quick blast of the dedicated front window demist button for a few seconds and that should clear it for a while.
5) dont drive with the windows down. this really increases drag.
6) make sure your tyres are at least inflated to the recommended level. some folks here have pumped them up even more and have received increases in mpg.
7) Get used to the subtle changes you can feel when the IS2 switches from charging to petrol only, to electric only to both electric & fuel modes. Make the most of every opportunity to use electric only (i.e. steady flow of traffic around 20 to 30mph.
Get a feel for how your IS2 behaves with autostop. In my stop go commute if the autostop is not working initially because of any one of a number of reasons, I move off the main road to a "rat-run" route so that the car can heat up and shake of its morning problems. This isn't any quicker but it does seem to give the auto stop a kick up the *** and starts it working. Start/Stop working is the difference between a 45 to 50mpg commute and a 60mpg commute (for me anyway)

I'm open to any suggestions others may have in this area. There is nothing more satisfying than making your way through a gas guzzling commute and still hitting that 60mpg marker! Well almost nothing.

Last edited by bubblebuzz; 10-20-2010 at 10:02 AM.
bubblebuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks loads, Bubblebuzz! I'll give all your suggestions a try.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Just remember, electric mode saps the battery quickly and you'll have to throw away some fuel economy (in the form of extra gas used to restore momentum lost to regenerative braking) to recharge it. If you use it as a method of gaining an engine off glide and work to keep from using assist during those coasts you'll get better mileage. Only use EV propulsion if you have a good pay-off coming up (such as cresting a small hill ahead of your current position which is followed by a decent downslope which will allow you to recharge while still gaining momentum for the following terrain).

A zero current flow glide (no assist or regen) is a lot harder to accomplish in the Insight-II than in the HCH-II but the principle and benefits are the same.
Right Lane Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have had my I2 since last July. During my first few months of ownership, I only averaged 8 L/100 km city and 7 L/100 km highway. But then again I hadn't learnt about hyper-miling. I stumbled upon this web site. Whilst I was reading the posts on here, I learned more about my car and how do drive efficiently. I will say some posts on here are quite extreme like shutting down the ICE whilst coasting and putting the car in Neutral. That may increase your economy but it can be dangerous and possibly harm the car and void the warranty. You will find over time that as you get to know your car, you will find your hyper-miling techniques will change and you will get better economy.

I now average 5.2 - 4.7 L/100 km city and 4.7 - 4.2 L/100 km highway. I find that for my comfort those averages are acceptable. With a 40 L tank I can get 845 km to a tank. If I push it sometimes more. But I am a creature of comfort.
GoMetricToday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in