Auto-Stop timing - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Auto-Stop timing

This article (see below) from 10/29/2010 says that Honda UK is tweaking the auto-stop time in order to increase fuel economy. It states that currently the maximum time it will stop is 30 seconds but that increasing that maximum may increase mpg. Anyone know what the maximum stop time is in U.S. models?

I've been driving a 2010 for a week, I sometimes get stuck unmoving in a line of cars, and I've noticed that the engine will only stop for a limited period which I estimate to be about 30 seconds.

Will increasing the maximum stop time increase the mpg? Intuitively it seems like it should.

Are U.S. models currently limited to a maximum of 30 seconds of stop time?

Is Honda U.S. considering increasing this?

If they do will they make the change to existing models on request?

Is there a way to increase this on our own? (Without invalidating the warranty.)

Honda Insight To Get Better Fuel Efficiency With Longer Engine Stop Times [Honda Tweaks Hybrid Insight Engine's Stop-Start Time To Improve Fuel Efficiency & Increase MPG] TFTS – Technology, Gadgets & Curiosities
davidm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2010, 11:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I get almost 3 minutes. Short as 2-3 seconds if wipers are on and they activate when auto stop starts.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2010, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
I get almost 3 minutes. Short as 2-3 seconds if wipers are on and they activate when auto stop starts.
Well, I only got it a week ago and it's been a rainy damp week so that may explain it.

It's a 2010 dealer swap so it's hard to say if it's got the very latest software or not. I would hope that they'd install any updates before selling it, but who knows.

I'll see what happens with a drier week.

Currently I'm getting, at most, 42-43 mpg.

Last edited by davidm; 11-19-2010 at 11:22 PM.
davidm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

In the U.S I doubt there is a limit on auto-stop time, I have timed it a 7 minutes and it still did not restart. The climate control must be off for auto stop to work for a long time. With the climate control on it will tend to restart in 15-30 secs.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am with Insightfulone. I have been stopped before for as long as 10 minutes in Auto-Stop. But that does depend on what you have running. Climate control will make it restart sooner, the front and rear defrost will keep it from stopping all together. Also if the IMA battery is low it will restart sooner. There are a myriad of factors that will shorten the Auto-Stop times. My advice is to try different things to get the Auto-Stop on as long as possible. I am a creature of comfort so I will tend to use the climate control more. I will usually get 5 minutes of Auto-Stop.
GoMetricToday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have noticed in the winter it takes a long time before auto-stop will kick in when it is cold. Even when it does come on it is only for a short time. I think when it is 19 outside and I have the cabin temperature set for 71 it has to turn on the engine to maintain that temperature. In the summer I don't think the program cares if you get hot. I have the a/c set to 76 and it will be 90 outside and the engine will stay in auto-stop mode at a light and NOT turn the engine on.
mank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2010, 08:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

I find it an amazing bonus that the I2 even goes into Auto-Stop with the temperatures in the single digits. My previous 2001 MT I1 would not go into Auto-Stop if the temperature was below 40F.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 Insight EX Navi Tango Red Pearl
2010 Accord EXL Crystal Black Pearl (wife's)
noseph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Last week and the week before we had lots of snow and most of the time the temperature never got above freezing. I remember the coldest day was -10 C. The Auto-Stop never came on at all. I don't find it so unusual though since it was so cold.
GoMetricToday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

With the climate control on, I've noticed a marked drop, or total lack of, autostop. What I'm wondering is if the length of AS is tied to the car monitoring the SoC of the 12volt battery or if it is just a programming issue. In other words, would adding a different 12 volt, such as the Optima yellow-top group 51 that I have in my Civic make a difference as it can hold a higher charge longer than the tiny honda OEM thing in the car now.
Obviously, AS does not work when the defroster is on but what about regular climate control with the A/C specifically set to off?
Old 12-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Short/missing auto stop seems to mostly be a function of the climate control and not the 12V SOC. When the climate control is off, auto stop comes on and lasts indefinitely once the engine is warm enough. It does not seem to be affected by the 12V loads of the lights (which I believe is a much bigger load than the CC fan), radio, etc. As a previous poster noted, auto stop is more affected by the need for heat than for A/C. Auto stop is more frequent and longer in the summer with the A/C on than in the winter with the heat on.

I believe this is a programming issue, the Honda engineers decided to restrict auto stop when heat is needed. Perhaps they were worried about cold occupants or the safety of defrost. It may be that auto stop in winter is counter productive, since the coolant temp lost by the heater during auto stop may cause less efficient operation or more emissions.

When running the defrost, I have observed the engine temperature actually drop from 150 to 135F when driving on a level road (ICE on) at 35 MPH, 25F outside temp in the morning. Running the climate control has a compound effect, as it makes it take longer to reach the engine temp where auto stop will be engaged, and it shorten/stops auto stop in general.

Auto stop is not a simple function of coolant temp. In the morning it takes about 10 minutes of 30 MPH driving to reach 160F or so where auto stop will engage. But if the car is stopped for an hour and restarted, auto stop starts a lot sooner, at 145F, so it must be measuring other factors besides engine temp.

Even with the climate control off, auto stop will eventually stop engaging in stop and go traffic, but it takes 15+ stops, if not more, and I believe this is caused by low NIMH battery charge, as the engine temp was still high.

In short, I don't think a larger 12V battery going to help.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in