Low Fuel Indicator - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 07:23 AM  

Default Low Fuel Indicator

Guys,

Can someone explain this?
I let the low fuel indicator come on for the first time in my 3 month old Insight. I was at 45 mpg for a week up to that time, as soon as the indicator light came on, I checked the Range. It said I had 30 miles left on the tank. If there is 1.8 gallons of gas in the tank when the indicator comes on, how can the range be accurate? I did fill the tank soon after that, but can't remember exactly how much fuel it took, but I do believe it was close to 8.8 gallons.

What am I missing?

Denise
Denisede is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 07:51 AM  

The range indicator is just an estimation/approximation. It's really not accurate. It counts miles left based on your previous last miles driving style (mpg), but also and estimated from many hundred prior miles and many other variables.

If you take a long drive (say all tank in one single drive) you will see the range "moving". Example, 100 miles left, then you slow down for a while and it will tell 120 miles left, then accelerate after few more miles and it will tell you 80 miles left. On the other hand, I noticed that entering the summer high mpg zone (warmer + no additive in gas = higher mpg), the range gradually adjusted as well. I was fuelling at 9.2 -9.3 gal. But getting into the winter lower mpg zone, the range tend to under estimate a little (compare to summer), and it gradually re-adjust. Therefore, I would say it takes in account several hundred miles of driving behavior...

The range has a good safety factor in it. With my driving style (~55mpg average tank), the light come around 40 miles left on the MID. I often drive to 0 left and more. The deepest I went is somewhere around 30 miles past the 0 mark and it's actually my last tank, last week... I put 9.99 gal. It was more fuel than I expected to put, so it kind of confirm my theory above that getting into winter, the range is overestimating.

In any case, this range is just an estimate, not really accurate, and is just to remind you that even if you don't fuel up too often, you still have to some time

hope this help.
Purplegate is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 08:37 AM  

i've been past the 0 miles left many times aswell LOL
xtremeview21 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 12:48 PM  

Thanks for the responses, guys. It would be nice to know exactly what's in the tank, as other cars show, but I guess I have to take what I can get!
Denisede is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 01:25 PM  

From my experience, research, testing and "rule of thumb". When the low fuel light comes on, you will have at least 1 gallon of gas left in the gas tank. If I remember right, it is mandated by the Feds. How many miles you can drive is dependant upon how you drive. This is required to all newer type vehicles.

HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 08:12 AM  

At least 5 more litres (1.3 us gallons) of fuel when the red light and the MID reminder come to life.
Ehetleos is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 01:55 PM  

when the mileage indicator hits 0 there are 4 litres (1.056 gal) left in the tank. filling up from 0 lets you put 36 lit (9.51 gal) in the tank and the tank is 40 lit (10.56 gal).
zurk is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 09:35 PM  

Default mpg

I noticed the low gas light comes on when I have 1 to 2 gallons left. The first time I was sweating that I would be running out of gas only to fill 8.6 gallons. Now I don't care anymore. I run it untill I get the light and then fill sometime in the next 30-50 miles. My last fill up the hose clicked off at 8.2, then again at 8.7, then again, I finally quit at 9.5. And it still was'nt overfilling the fill pipe. This winter I am only getting 44 average miles per gallon. I anticipate getting better mileage when it warms up a bit.
freddy the mug is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 10:30 PM  

I'm wondering if the Insight has this same ability "feature".

My girl friend has driven her 2002 Prius down to no gas at all, like to the point where the engine stalls, starts again, then stalls. Being about 2000ft from a gas station she was able to ride in on EV mode only. She did this twice. And yes I told her she was pumping bottom of tank scum into the engine.

Then more recently with nearly 180,000 miles on it, we were having issues when ever it was raining out (I think moisture had more to do with it) it would show a big red hybrid warning light and throw codes we later figured out said "engine start failure". Which is exactly what happened, the engine didn't start and I was driving along wondering why I was only able to accelerate slowly, I was in EV mode and was able to drive just long enough to get the car off the road and fiddle with it. New spark plugs, I think, fixed the issue. Now the car is mine and I'm looking to replace it with a 2nd gen insight. In its end days it would be awesome to be able to do this if needed.
zerix01 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 08:14 AM  
Lifetime Member

zerix01, With the 1st Gen car, if you are lucky and the car doesn't realize that its stopped firing, when it starts to misfire, if you mash the gas pedal it will go into full assist like it normally would and you have until full assist would drop off, even with the gas engine not running until the assist would normally decide to stop. ...you don't get too far(a mile maybe, a couple if you were going a decent speed and could coast to a stop the rest of the way) with the Gen 1 and with the Gen 2, if it does the same, you'll get even less due to a heavier car with less aerodynamics and a smaller battery pack. I wouldn't count on it, keep enough fuel in the tank or if you are doing some sort of test to measure how far you've got once the fuel is low, carry a 1 gallon tank of gas in the trunk with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in