I seem to be getting better MPG with synthetic oil.(Amsoil) - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I seem to be getting better MPG with synthetic oil.(Amsoil)

I recently changed my oil for the first time and used Amsoil 0w20. In every vehicle I own(ed) or seen it used, it resulted in higher MPG. So far I'm noticing about a 2-3% increase in fuel economy. In my other vehicles, I noticed a larger % gain; although I used Amsoil Products in the entire drive train. ( Auto Transmission, differentials etc)

Then again it could just be the fact that I removed the "break in oil"; if in fact Honda actually uses it.

What say you?
firsthonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Pretty much every I2 owner on here has experienced increase in MPG as their car has run through its normal break-in process. The viscosity difference would likely be minimal if it weren't in the middle of winter so you might be getting benefits of using a synthetic as engines traditionally haven't been broken in on synthetic oils due to rings not wearing in right causing initial new engine consumpsion to never cease. Rings are typically fully broken in within less than 50 miles and likely complete by the time its out of the factory but there are other components in the engine and transmission that likely wear-in to a better fit, transmission probably more than anything.

Could it be the Amsoil, probably but the odds are that it won't be any better than another synthetic considering that the Amsoil ASM 0w20 has a viscosity on the thick side compared to other synthetics at the same full operating temperature, which is why I'm going to use it last in my lineup of oils to try in my 1st Gen even though the difference is so slight it will likely not be noticeable in the MPG numbers.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Yeah, with the miles and change, you do see some improvement. Ive went from regular honda oil, 0w20 honda oil to 0w20 mobile 1 advance fuel economy. Each change I have noticed a slight increase, but I wouldnt suggest everyone run out and do it. Like the kn air filter replacement. I cant tell a noticeable performance change.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

The Honda 0W-20 oil at my local dealer IS synthetic - says so on the bottle.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

What ever the reason, my MPG has definitely gone up.
firsthonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in