Low MPGs on my 2010 Insight - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Low MPGs on my 2010 Insight

I'm new to the forum. Came here looking to see what others are getting for mpg in the winter months. I have been watching my MPG go down for weeks now as the temps have fallen. I live in Mass. so it is very cold here in the winter. But I was disheartened to see that everyone is getting way better mileage than me. In the good weather I am getting 42-45mpg. In the last 650miles I am getting on 29mpg. Things that impact my FE is that we work one mile from our house so we rarely travel far in the Insight. Very little highway miles. We don't have a garage so the car sits outside. I usually don't warm up the car before driving. I do pay attention to the way I am driving but after reading the tips I am not sure if I am accelerating the best way. I accelerate slowly. I also try to anticipate when I will have to stop so that I don't have to accelerate if not necessary. Things like that. I read a tip saying I should accelerate full throttle. That sounds like I should be flooring it. Is that so? I'm really bummed about the FE of the insight so far.
Susan T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hi, actually for the conditions and circumstances you are getting more than excellent mileage.

I have a Mitsubishi diamante as a second car and it has mpg indicator. I get ~ 20-21 mpg in the summer mixed driving . In the winter for the first half mile I have between 2mpg to 7 mpg! Seems when the car is cold the engine computer is making the fuel mixture rich and that hurts the mpg big time . the car worms up after the first 3-4 miles. I believe your car never gets to a normal temperatures...

A partial solution is a block heater. It is electric and you can turn it on a couple of hours before your morning commute. This should make the engine warm before the trip thus to reduce wear and tea and to increase mpg...
Old 02-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for that information. I feel a little better. I can't help but notice in your sig that you are getting much better mileage! Are the older insights getting better FE than the newer ones?
Susan T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Susan,

It would really be good for the car if you took it out for 20 miles or so just to give it a good run once in a while.

Many years ago one of my brother-in-laws picked up a beautiful Honda V45 Sabre. He drove only five miles to work and after two years the lovely chrome muffler rusted from the INSIDE-out displaying rust-holes throughout the exhaust.

There will likely be moisture build-up in the oil along with high concentrations of the fuel that typically burn-off at normal operating temps, but your's does not get that chance, thus the need for some regular "exercise".

Jim.

Tail Extension:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3-Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi, yes the Insight 1 is much more economical, but has some tradeoffs (smaller engine and 2 seats only )...
Old 02-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan T View Post
I'm new to the forum. Came here looking to see what others are getting for mpg in the winter months. I have been watching my MPG go down for weeks now as the temps have fallen. I live in Mass. so it is very cold here in the winter. But I was disheartened to see that everyone is getting way better mileage than me. In the good weather I am getting 42-45mpg. In the last 650miles I am getting on 29mpg. Things that impact my FE is that we work one mile from our house so we rarely travel far in the Insight. Very little highway miles. We don't have a garage so the car sits outside. I usually don't warm up the car before driving. I do pay attention to the way I am driving but after reading the tips I am not sure if I am accelerating the best way. I accelerate slowly. I also try to anticipate when I will have to stop so that I don't have to accelerate if not necessary. Things like that. I read a tip saying I should accelerate full throttle. That sounds like I should be flooring it. Is that so? I'm really bummed about the FE of the insight so far.
If you only drive one mile each way, gas mileage for such a distance
would be quite poor for any car......extra fuel must be burned till the engine
warms. Short distance driving is very hard on a car; moisture drawn in condenses,
contaminates the oil, rots the exhaust system. Oil changes should be spaced
by time, not mileage, and should be frequent.
CycleDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Block heater would really help and I suspect a grid charger.
ghammerly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Sorry guys, this was over in the first gen area.

I have an i2 and the block heater and grid charger do not help any for the lower temps and mpg.

I typically accelerate with allowing 2 bars of assist and coast as much as possible riding hte brakes to a stop. I take a route that offers 40-45mph. Even if its a few miles out of your way if it has less stops or a 40mph speed that will help you in the long run.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 02:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

always let the car warm up for 30 seconds until the RPMs drop in cold weather. otherwise you could cause extensive wear on your engine. drive gently with limited acceleration until the blue light is off.
see my MPG which has also dropped due to cold weather :
zurk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Talking I also get better gas mileage in warmer weather!

I just found this website today and was reading some of the posts. I have a 2010 Insight and it gets WAY better MPG's in summertime weather. I drove from Washington to New York last summer and averaged 60 MPG or better the whole way. In colder weather I am getting around 35-38 MPG and I see that increase as weather gets warmer. Today was 65 degrees and I drove a couple hundred miles and averaged 45 mpgs.
No matter the weather or mpg's I love this car! I was the first in my family to get a Honda as well as a hybrid and at first people thought I was crazy. Eventually I helped my brother trade in his 2 Jeeps for a Honda Civic Hybrid. He likes his car but wished he would have bought an Insight. People stop my all the time at gas stations and restaurants asking about the car! I wouldnt trade it for anything!

Last edited by gal32875; 02-24-2011 at 10:46 AM.
gal32875 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in