blocked grill, better mpg? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 02:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default blocked grill, better mpg?

Moderators Note:"FYI, this shouldnt be attempted unless you have a way to monitor the vehicle temperature by the odb2 port and you should make it easily reversable incase the temp gets warmer faster than you expect."

ive seen this before here where people talk bout covering the grill of the i2 in winter time, and they actually get more mpg

i live in socal and its been pretty cold here lately, also my mpg is dropping, i was wondering if this really works, how cold would it have to be for the car to be safe and not have problems if i block the grill

mornings get as cold as 50 and during the day it stays 60 but never hotter than 70

is that not cold enough?
should i just forget it?

Last edited by Cobb; 04-10-2011 at 01:28 AM. Reason: adding note
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011, 07:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

The main reason I do it is to get the engine up to it's ideal operating temperature.

I suspect your engine is fine with an OAT of 50. Do you have a ScanGage or something to monitor water temperature? With Springtime around the corner, I don't think you should worry about it.
Jayemtee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have an Ultragauge on my current car with temperature alarm set at 210 F just in case.
The opening on the grill is about 1.5" X 12", the car a smart for two. Today with a ambient temperature of 50F the indicated engine temp got to 195F which is the high point normally. When it starts to get higher than that I will just open the hole a little.
Car warms up much faster.
ghammerly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghammerly View Post
Car warms up much faster.
I wonder how this happens. If the thermostat is rated at 180 deg F, or 190 deg F, then the coolant in the engine will heat up to that temperature in X amount of minutes, at which time the thermostat opens. The water in the radiator is unaffected until the thermostat opens at the pre-determined temperature. So, the grill block should have no effect on how fast the coolant in the engine block reaches operating temperature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Insight T-Shirts 4Sale: PM Me.
Monte Carlo Blue 01 5spd w/CRZ seats
CDN Aquamarine Blue 01 DDSOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Silver 01 5spd #0160 Sold to fellow Insight owner
Citrus #1159 Sold to Insight Fan
Red '00 A/C project SOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Citrus #2083
Sold to a fellow Insight owner.
Red '01 A/C parts car.
freezin4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I'll give you two things to think about.

1. What do you think happens to cold air that passes through a cold radiator? Where does it go from there?

2. What do you think happens when that thermostat opens? What happens to the 180 degree water leaving the engine? What happens when it is replaced with 35 degree water?
Jayemtee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 11:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayemtee View Post
I'll give you two things to think about.

1. What do you think happens to cold air that passes through a cold radiator? Where does it go from there?

2. What do you think happens when that thermostat opens? What happens to the 180 degree water leaving the engine? What happens when it is replaced with 35 degree water?
Yes, it may make a difference if you drive before warming up the car. And the engine temp may take somewhat of a dip (although I haven't noticed much if any, at 40 deg F temps on my G1 with Scangauge monitoring), when the thermostat opens.

But I think it takes the same amount of time for an engine to reach operating temperature with or without radiator block. (unless the car is driven while cold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Insight T-Shirts 4Sale: PM Me.
Monte Carlo Blue 01 5spd w/CRZ seats
CDN Aquamarine Blue 01 DDSOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Silver 01 5spd #0160 Sold to fellow Insight owner
Citrus #1159 Sold to Insight Fan
Red '00 A/C project SOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Citrus #2083
Sold to a fellow Insight owner.
Red '01 A/C parts car.
freezin4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 01:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

i dnt have a scangage
i wish i knew what it was....
i got no idea of what anybodys talking bout
i rather not blok the grill haha
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Blocking anything completely is a bad idea. Your license plate mod should account for something as it partly blocks thelower grill. Last summer I ran half a block with no problems even with ac use. In winder I blocked all but an inch of the lower grill.

Even if the t stat opens at a certain temp to allow coolant to go through the radiator, the blockage reduces the air flow through the engine compartment that can cause some cooling and delay the engine warm up. Furthermore a t state does not completely block the flow of coolant, it leaks and some flows through the radiator anyways even if its closed.

From what I can see out engines like 177 degrees. I do not know when the t stat opens, but Id try a colder one next time its replaced or if I get around to it.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 12:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default engine block heater

If you get the engine block heater would it solve this problem? Just plug it in over the night. And then you could also say you have a plug in hybrid.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

I believe there is also a significant savings in cooling drag with the radiator block.

In aircraft, you can get save a lot of drag and get extra speed by altering the size of the cooling exits using variable cowl flaps. I think any reduction in flow of air through the engine compartment / radiator saves drag.

I believe blocking the air conditioning portion alone (if you don't use the AC) would represent a savings.

Imagine how much drag a radiator would be if you mounted it on top of the car sticking straight up. Inside the engine compartment it's hidden but it's still a major source of drag.
ackattacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in