My mileage report - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 06:21 PM  

Default My mileage report

So I have had my used Honda for not quite two months. I drive it like a regular car (no hypermiling or any other economy measures) and I have averaged right at 48MPG with the Econ on. I ran one tank with the Econ off and got 47MPG.

My next test is a tank using the "S" position on the transmission.
rrew is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 02:15 PM  

Thanks for sharing! Sounds great. I plan on driving mine like a normal car, too. What does the "S" mode do? Does it make it simulate an automatic transmission?
amcdonal86 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 02:57 PM  
Lifetime Member

The S mode uses a different set of virtual gears within the CVT. It give you more power and faster starts at the expense of higher RPMs. I sometimes start out from a red light in S and shift to D after I get going.
Jayemtee is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2011, 08:20 PM  

Default S Mode

The "S" mode is, I think, called second in the owners manual. It is called sport in the service manual. It gives more power at the expense of mileage. I found that I would be at highway speed with the tach showing 2500, I would then use the paddle shifter to upshift to settle things down for the cruise. However, then I was in manual and I had to continue to shift unless I went to D and then back to S. Not really bad except for having to shift when the wheel is turned hard in either direction (awkward).

Anyway, I didn't even finish a tank in sport for my mileage report, after 3 days I was averaging 37 MPG. I went back to D - econ and my mileage went back up to 47 MPG. I guess I'll save sport for the occasional use. Or S to start and move to D as suggested.
rrew is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 09:32 PM  

Today I test drove a used 2010 and only got to drive it about 16 miles. Half of the trip I got 42 mpg on trip A in "D". On my way back on the same route (mainly level roads) I put it in "S" mode and got 52mpg on trip B. Top speed less than 50mph. I noticed that continually pulsing the up-shift when accelerating allowed me to keep the motor revs low and tons of assist. Then when coming to stops I downshifted and just pressed the brake to where the lights would go on thereby maximizing regen.

Anybody else use these methods? The bottom line for me is that it seemed like it is possible to get good mileage in S mode if you want. Acceleration when up-shifting to the tallest gear isn't that great though.
thedhgroup is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 09:40 PM  

Base doesn't have paddle shifters. Sad face!
amcdonal86 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 10:01 PM  

I get my best mpg using mostly 'D' and doing as much coasting or ev mode as I can. I only use 'S' when the engine cold light is on and I'm accelerating after a traffic light or going up a hill.

The other time I use 'S' is on a long upgrade and forced regen has kicked in after the battery charge level has gone down. I noticed that while on the upgrade by shifting into 'S', and holding the mph steady, the speedometer background light would change from bluish to pure green.
Have the engine operate as little as possible, especially when standing still or moving slowly; while also meeting my demands for power and maneuvering. This means most battery charging while cruising city streets and rural roads, max regen from slowing down and downgrades, and only using heater or A/C when the engine is on for other purposes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Moviemike is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in