Early K&N vs OEM Filter Results - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Early K&N vs OEM Filter Results

Alright, I know there's ALWAYS a ton of debate/discussion around performance air filters, but I've got some results that I'd never have expected, so I thought you all might enjoy hearing about it.

I pulled out the OEM air filter and decided I didn't like it at all; it looked cheap, felt cheap, it's like an air intake tampon. I was displeased. I decided to buy a K&N filter from Amazon because it was about $10 cheaper than through my local parts store, even with next day air, so I jumped on it. I swapped out the filters, threw the OEM filter next to the spare tire for the inevitable 24 hour cleaning the K&N will need, and did some driving.

Here's the deal: I'm using stats from the last tank of gas; I've only burned part of the tank since the K&N filter, drove the same routes using the same driving style, the CC is not on. Here's what my early results are showing:

Tank average with OEM filter: 47 mpg.
Real-time fuel economy cruising (rough average): ~51 mpg

Current tank average with K&N filter: 51 mpg.
Real-time fuel economy cruising (rough average): ~65 mpg

It's still early in the tank, but I haven't gotten these numbers consistently out of this car during in town drives, so this is a major improvement. Once I'm further into the tank, I'll update this number.
12404 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Just for grins.....after this tank is done, put the OEM back in just to make sure your MPG goes down again.....The reason I suggest this.....there may be other factors involved in your recent higher MPG

Warmer weather is always a positive towards higher MPG....
Driver getting more experince with achieving higher numbers may also be a factor.

I'm not saying the K&N is no good but like with any test or troubleshooting, you should be able to produce predictable results and if you don't try it, you will never know if other factors were involved.

JoeCVT = Just your average CVT owner
Low Speed Auto Stop (LSAS)
ABS - IMA regen enabler (allows regen during ABS)
Relocated outside temp sensor near mid engine
Cooling fans powered by 12V Solar Panel

2004 CVT Red Insight
Relocated outside temp sensor near mid engine
joecvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecvt View Post
.....after this tank is done, put the OEM back in just to make sure your MPG goes down again.....
But of course! What kind of an experiment would this be if I didn't at least try to rule out possible variables?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Interesting.... I am tempted to try cleaning mines or try a standard filter again.

I found with my super charged tacoma I was cleaning the red filter that turned black after 2 thousand miles of use always gave a bit more performance for a few weeks til it blacked up again. I could hit 15 vs 13 psi of boost too with a fresh cleaning.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Why the heck do these K&N filter discussions pop up on every automotive forum known to man! Surely with a car as complex as the Insight, the air filter makes little difference! Heck, try running the car for one tank without an air filter at all! You should see better improvement versus the K&N, right?
amcdonal86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I wouldnt recommend removing the filter.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcdonal86 View Post
Why the heck do these K&N filter discussions pop up on every automotive forum known to man!
Automotive Forum. That's a major contributor to the problem. Automotive forums have a tendency to be infiltrated by tech-savvy motorheads who love nothing more than big block V8's stuffed under the hood of an El Camino or Catalina just to hear it roar and visit every gas station in town.

Those guys tend to be obsessed with performance parts, like the K&N filter. The reason the air filters come up so often is because they make them for virtually everything. Not many people will be looking for new headers for their Insight, but everyone replaces the air filter at some point...and that's the appeal: it's easily accessible and it's a part associated with better performance.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

as soon as i put the k&n on my I2 i started gettn more mpg
but never went back to the cheap tampon
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 07:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Classic placebo affect me thinks

Modern cars operate on a "closed loop" and as a result the air filter has zero affect on gas mileage, it can only affect top end HP when the air filter becomes the "throttle" restricting total air flow.
Hitech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

I think we should break into these people's cars, replace their K&N filters with stock ones without telling them, and then come back on the forum. I bet you they will still be singing the praises of their increased gas mileage with the K&N filters... with a stock paper filter.
amcdonal86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in