+2 mpg after oil change and buttoning up belly? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2011, 12:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default +2 mpg after oil change and buttoning up belly?

Ive been using mobile 1 0w20 advance fuel economy and waiting til the warning comes on to change the oil. This happened about the time my car came due for inspection, so I changed it as its harder to pass with an error message on your car.

While under the car I saw 5 of the push pins were missing, 3 philip head screws and 2 push pins were loose. I also broke one and luckly had a bag I bought from some Chineese ebay vendor to replace them.

I placed a pin in every hole it would fit, I made sure that it went through all plastic panels as well as any metal surfaces under that. I replaced all screws I could and used some zip ties to close off the access panels to change the fog lamp bulbs. So, it was tight and secure.

I went from 51 to 53 mpg and its seems less impacted by speed too.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 01:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hey Cobb, I'm about to order a bag of those push pins. I'm bound to screw the pooch on a few when I change the fluids, etc.

Can you point me to a link on eBay of the ones you ordered?
Zwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 12:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

20 Bumper Clips For Acura Integra Legend NSX MDX RSX TL - eBay (item 220751740340 end time Apr-08-11 00:40:46 PDT) Sold by a Chinaman in Canadian dollars to the US Market? :confused

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 12:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I could use two of those because my bumper hangs loose, assuming they are the right size or close enough to keep the thing in place. ..The price is so cheap but I have no use for the rest of the lot of 20, anyone who bought/buys them who wants to send two my way, I'll pay the postage or whatever, send me a PM if you can spare two.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I see you have a first gen Insight, we have the 2nd. Are you able to measure a clip to make sure the size is correct? The peg should be 10mm round.

Ive been through quite a few clips as I find my oil changes clash withte cold weather as well as other modifications. Cold weather and those clips do not go well together.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Yes, I know its a different generation and you are talking about a different place for the clips to go too, but I just measured and the hole is 3/8" which is just a tiny hair narrower than 10mm. The head size of 20mm is slightly smaller but close enough to where it won't be a problem. They measure out to be snug on the 1st gen bumper and I could use two, or maybe three so I have a spare.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

I also broke one and luckly had a bag I bought from some Chineese ebay vendor to replace them. """""
Why would you do that? How expensive can they be? So much for "buying American"!
ps, this snarky comment is meant in fun. Ad parody, not to be taken seriously. Don't get your nuts in a bunch.
kjanracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

"Another option." I bought a bunch from my local NAPA, cheap + no waiting.
Napa part number 665-3272, it's a bag of five.

Last edited by ghammerly; 04-01-2011 at 04:45 PM.
ghammerly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I use ebay over the years to get the same products I buy locally for a fraction of the price, even when or if shipping is added.

Last time I went to a napa dealer they wants 140 bucks for a u1 battery and 60 bucks for an anderson connector. Neither were in stock and had to be ordered. When I asked about wax they showed me a bottle of something called booty wax. If those Americans wanted my business they did a poor job of it.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

I lost my original aero-pan after a dealer oil change and they had to order me a new one.
The mileage most definitely went down 1 to 2 mpg on the highway w/o the belly pan on!
Oh and the dealer covered the pan cost I just had to wait a week...
jonniedee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in