Horrible MPG ... - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Horrible MPG ...

I took the Insight up to 90 MPH for a while today and only got 25 MPG while doing it. Sport Mode + Econ On.

How lame.

I do see a desire for having a rear sway bar installed, though. But it can be compensated for by driving intelligently and planning your actions in advance.

Still, it did not feel unsafe driving through a twisty portion of 77 as long as you did not abruptly try to change lanes at speed. Letting the road do the lane changes for you it was mostly a non-issue.

I am surprised however how responsive the car was at high speeds. I guess I can see why the Insight hands the Prius its rear end at highway travel.

edit: I did have the wife with me, we had to be somewhere effectively yesterday for an appointment and running late. She pointed out the engine noise. I told her ignore it, Honda's love revolutions, it's designed to do that. lol

Last edited by Zwolfe; 04-08-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Zwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

25 MPG seem pretty good at that speed Top Gear famously flogged a Prius at top speed around a racetrack and got 14.3 MPG!
ackattacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 04:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi Guys,

I bought Honda Insight #2 recently and noticed it does only 49mpg under 37mph is it good or worse. I guess it has to be more than that
enigma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

The slower you go up to 35mph the better the mpg you get. I thnik a magazine tested in the 60s or 70s at that speed. I can easily beat that doing 70mph, so its not the best.

Never tried going 90, but doing 80 with a dish washer sticking out the hatch I managed 36mpg. I ripped through WV one day for a car show and my tacoma got 16mpg. I passed everything but a civilian use polica car.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwolfe View Post
I took the Insight up to 90 MPH for a while today and only got 25 MPG while doing it. Sport Mode + Econ On.

How lame.
I've heard they're going to increase the speed limit in some parts of Texas to 85. And you know how some people are, thinking that they can always drive 5 miles over... You need to do that more often and find out what the best mode is for getting good gas mileage is at that speed At least 30!
Krista is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 11:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Come on Krista, you are in Falls Church right? Nothing like the drivers from NOVA. Depends on traffic, some cases I jsut keep with the flow vs set the cruse to 55.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Come on Krista, you are in Falls Church right? Nothing like the drivers from NOVA. Depends on traffic, some cases I jsut keep with the flow vs set the cruse to 55.
Traffic is so bad around here that not going with the flow, no matter what speed it is, can be dangerous for your health I just wish the flow were closer to 55 than 20.
Krista is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 01:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

On the 495 I traveled 5 miles in an hour, must of been a worlds record.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

hmm weird on the 5 going to so cal i was going 80 i was easily get 30's almost 40
ATS*SOL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 02:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

I could had been going up an incline. 77 through WV is nothing but hills, so, there's a good chance. I definitely was not on flat ground, it doesn't exist here except in short bursts.

I was joking about the horrible part BTW. 25MPG @ 90 is what some cars wish they got at 55, not complaining about it.
Zwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in