new tire thread. - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default new tire thread.

i have 33k on my stock tires and the tech at honda said they were the worst tires hes ever seen anyone driving with on a car. fronts 2/32 rears 1/32.......so i guess ill be getting new tires. i need to know which tire to go with and i want other insight drivers opinions. im thinking of the 185/60 instead of the stock size. i wanna here from everyone that has different tires. please post the
size
mileage
mpg
driveabilty
price

ive been looking for a thread to turn to for the right tire to buy, but since there isnt one ill start one.
b-tak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quick question, how frequently were they rotated?
Zwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

I wonder if these "ECO" tires are all a crock of crap!
circa1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

i think the next tires i get are going to be 195/60R15.. if you do tire calculation these are almost identical to the 175/65R15 in diameter.. maybe lil wider.. but that will be good for me since its all curves up here.. my yokohama AVIDs are ready to be replaced.. next tires i get are NOT going to be directional.. suxs having to rotate front to back and thats it.. had front end aligned cause it seemed the front right was eating the tire.. found out front end was misaligned.. fixed.. so now need new tires argh.. i never had a car eat tires as fast as these.. i dunno if its the size or what.. either way.. next tires im getting 195/60R15
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011, 12:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I don't see many bad reports on Yokos on this forum. How many miles do you have on them?
Jayemtee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayemtee View Post
I don't see many bad reports on Yokos on this forum. How many miles do you have on them?
i have about 25K on them.. im the orig guy that got them to try i have been told with just about all the locals that tires do not last up here in the mtns.. im not driving on a hwy either.. mostly 2 lane curvy roads.. i think the surface of the road is a lil rougher then normal as well.. either way.. since i couldnt roate them like passenger rear to driverside front.. i could only go front to back.. rotated every 3K.. they lasted twice as long as the orig dunlops which they only lasted 12k.. i really like the yokohamas AVIDs.. my mileage stayed the same.. so dont let me deter you from getting them.. they were 10x better then dunlops in all aspects from my experience.. just these curves tearing up tires.. i might try a cheap brand just to see what happens.. buddy of mine at tire shop says they got some new brand of tires.. he can give me a deal.. i might try it and let you guys know..
Old 05-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'll have to change mine as well soon.

Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max 185/60R15 might be my first choice. They have a narrow thread, could be the ones to provide the highest mpg.

Yokohama AVID Envigor has now 175/65R15. This could be my second choice. From reviews, they seems the best well rounded tires. But mpg could be a little lower.

Michelin HydroEdge 185/65R15 could be a good third choice. Very well rounded tire, might have a little lower mpg, but I like the "65" ratio available...

Bridgestone Ecopia 185/65R15. I'm doing some research on this one. Could be a good choice, but rated as summer tire only, and lower life expected. But mpg wise, it could be a good solution. If you live in northern states and put winter tires, this could be a good summer choice.

It's still a puzzle to be solved. Keep us posted on your choice with comments and review of your new tires, this is an interesting topic for many.
Purplegate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011, 09:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge View Post
i think the next tires i get are going to be 195/60R15.. if you do tire calculation these are almost identical to the 175/65R15 in diameter.. maybe lil wider.. but that will be good for me since its all curves up here.. my yokohama AVIDs are ready to be replaced.. next tires i get are NOT going to be directional.. suxs having to rotate front to back and thats it.. had front end aligned cause it seemed the front right was eating the tire.. found out front end was misaligned.. fixed.. so now need new tires argh.. i never had a car eat tires as fast as these.. i dunno if its the size or what.. either way.. next tires im getting 195/60R15
Directional is better for noise. As long as they are wearing evenly, it shouldn't matter if they are directional or not. Otherwise, check your alignment.

I had Yokohama Avid Touring Ss on a Lexus I used to have and they were the best tires I've ever had. Very quiet, and they still looked brand new with 30k miles on them.
circa1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

just bought the goodyear fuel max from discounttiredirect for 372 shipped to my door
b-tak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yokohama AVID Envigor 175/65R15 are what i have now.. i had alignment when i got them and i got another alignment not too long ago cause they were wearing on the front right.. they are excellent tires.. especially for the price.. i just want to try something else that handles curves better..

this is the thread that i started last year when i was getting the yokohamas

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...endations.html

oh and just for record i baby my I2 so i never hit any potholes or run off the road.. etc..

Last edited by blueridge; 05-20-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in