Annoyed at city mileage - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Annoyed at city mileage

Is it just me or is it hard to match the 40 mpg EPA rating in the city? It seems like if I have the A/C on and am driving on the slower edge of "normally"--meaning, other cars beat me off the stop lights, etc., and I'm braking somewhat carefully--I can barely reach the 40 mpg estimate. In fact, it seems like most of the time, it's closer to 30-35 mpg.

This is kind of disappointing to me, because the Insight really only makes sense as a car if it can at reach, at a minimum, the EPA ratings.

Highway, I don't really have a big problem reaching 45mpg or more, but it seems to be so variable depending on whether you have your headlights on, wipers on, and which way the wind blows, which is very annoying.
circa1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

Welcome to the world of ultra efficient vehicles, where every environmental nuance makes itself known.

You can't expect EPA ratings with accessories like the A/C running.

Us gen1 Insight owners have been worrying about which way the wind is blowing since 2000.

Home of the BeeMax performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2001 MT Insight @ 201k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k; 2010 CVT Insight2 @ 191k; 2001 MT Insight @ 182k.

Last edited by Eli; 05-23-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Welcome to the world of ultra efficient vehicles, where every environmental nuance makes itself known.

You can't expect EPA ratings with accessories like the A/C running.
Why not? They test it with the AC running!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

They do? I guess I wasn't aware of that. Must be the new fancy ratings. My bad.

Home of the BeeMax performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2001 MT Insight @ 201k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k; 2010 CVT Insight2 @ 191k; 2001 MT Insight @ 182k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Depending on your cars setup and driving arrangement it can be way lower than epa. After all epa is tested on a closed loop track. I recall from another post you may drive through the DC area. I was on the beltway once, I traveled 5 miles in an hour. I would be tickled pink to average 30mpg with the ac on.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Amen to that.

Keep in mind that all of the variables that contribute to lowered MPG's apply to non-hybrids as well. You just notice them now because you're actually paying attention to fuel consumption. Mileage will decrease in city driving with A/C on in a non-hybrid too. At the end of the day you are still ahead of the game compared to most non-hybrids.

As for city driving; try to time the lights so you don't have to stop at all. Most places will have a "sweet spot" speed where you can make most of the lights without stopping at all. Of course that doesn't work everywhere or everyday...

Regarding EPA estimates; IIRC the Insight is rated at about 41MPG overall, so if you get 45MPG highway and 35MPG city that seems fairly close too me.
mrkcohen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Depending on your cars setup and driving arrangement it can be way lower than epa. After all epa is tested on a closed loop track. I recall from another post you may drive through the DC area. I was on the beltway once, I traveled 5 miles in an hour. I would be tickled pink to average 30mpg with the ac on.
Haha, this is true, but my average speed this tank is 29 mph and I am averaging about 41-42 mpg on this tank. That is with about 70% of my commute being unrestricted highway driving at 60 mph, and 30% being "city" driving, with crawling along the highway at 10-15 mph with lots of stopping and going, traffic lights, etc.

I don't have any trouble reaching the EPA city mileage estimates with the A/C on and driving with my other cars.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

AC is a fuel burner especially on small engines it eats much power and increasing fuel consumption is more noticable than on bigger engines; i have a 3cyl./47kW but 1100kg car and in sommer i really get hot fingernails of switching AC on/off every time when push on.....Ive put a sticker over the AC button "Turbo"

Honda should offer a Solarroofpanel perhaps in replacement for the useless flat rearscreen; could be a nice idea for modification makers
hessebauer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by circa1986 View Post
Is it just me or is it hard to match the 40 mpg EPA rating in the city? It seems like if I have the A/C on and am driving on the slower edge of "normally"--meaning, other cars beat me off the stop lights, etc., and I'm braking somewhat carefully--I can barely reach the 40 mpg estimate. In fact, it seems like most of the time, it's closer to 30-35 mpg.

This is kind of disappointing to me, because the Insight really only makes sense as a car if it can at reach, at a minimum, the EPA ratings.

Highway, I don't really have a big problem reaching 45mpg or more, but it seems to be so variable depending on whether you have your headlights on, wipers on, and which way the wind blows, which is very annoying.

How long is your drive (in miles, one-way)? And do you start out in city driving for the first mile or more of your route? Many hills on the way? Many stops on hills? Many long stops (over 2 minutes at a time?)

Do you find that your car does not go into auto-stop much, or if it does it doesn't stay auto-stopped for long?

How many miles do you have on the car? Is it still breaking in?
insight78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Circa,

Do you have a MT or a CVT? I've got a manual and because the gears are so tall I've often thought that a CVT might have an advantage over the MT if running the AC because it has endless gear ratios. I'm constantly watching my ASSIST gauge when driving with AC because it drags down the engine so much that I'll be using assist and won't even realize it and then my battery runs low which forces regen and even more drag on the engine.

With Phoenix starting to hit over 100 degrees every day now I've just come to the stark reality that for the next 4-5 months my MPG are going to suck. But like someone said earlier it is still better then pretty much everything else out there.

Edit: Ah, saw this post from Active topics so didn't realize it was from G2 land, so you must have a CVT, still think CVT would have an advantage over tall gears in G1 manual transmission when running AC.

Last edited by gilbertguy; 05-24-2011 at 03:59 PM.
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in