Gas light turned on for the first time!!! How long... - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Gas light turned on for the first time!!! How long...

until I am dead in the water

This is my first tank. I know the Insight has a 10.6 gallon tank, I have 430 miles on the tank currently, and the car is telling me I can go another 32. Its 30 miles exactly to get home and I want to squeeze as much as I can out of the car. How much longer do I have before the tank runs dry do you think? My dash is telling me I am going 51.8MPG.

Thanks!!!
Mattie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

So - this might bring a laugh. My low gas light came on Monday on my way to my customer's site. I reset Trip B to see how far I could go. For some reason I figured I had one gallon left - easy math: 60.2 mpg on this tank, so no problem getting to site, then home (50 more miles), right?

Heading home, I'm showing 33.2 miles from where the light turned on, and GasBuddy is telling me the cheapest gas in my vicinity is this exit. What the heck, 27ish miles short of dry, I'll fill up. I take the off-ramp, engine auto stops as I wait for traffic, I take left turn from stop-sign and my Insight ICE is not responding - feels like it's out of gas. That can't be. I pull to the side and re-start it. Make it up the overpass to the gas station - stalls once more - drift into the gas station - I pump in 10.5 gallons.

Two mistakes: 1) I thought the tank held 10.9 gallons; 2) I thought the light meant one gallon left.

My guess is when I took the left turn from the stop sign, the cup and a half or so of gas in my tank slid away from the pickup tube and wahlah, no gas for a few seconds...

Lesson Learned: When light comes on, I have less than 30 miles (assuming 60MPG) before I'm on fumes.
jdstew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstew View Post
So - this might bring a laugh. My low gas light came on Monday on my way to my customer's site. I reset Trip B to see how far I could go. For some reason I figured I had one gallon left - easy math: 60.2 mpg on this tank, so no problem getting to site, then home (50 more miles), right?

Heading home, I'm showing 33.2 miles from where the light turned on, and GasBuddy is telling me the cheapest gas in my vicinity is this exit. What the heck, 27ish miles short of dry, I'll fill up. I take the off-ramp, engine auto stops as I wait for traffic, I take left turn from stop-sign and my Insight ICE is not responding - feels like it's out of gas. That can't be. I pull to the side and re-start it. Make it up the overpass to the gas station - stalls once more - drift into the gas station - I pump in 10.5 gallons.

Two mistakes: 1) I thought the tank held 10.9 gallons; 2) I thought the light meant one gallon left.

My guess is when I took the left turn from the stop sign, the cup and a half or so of gas in my tank slid away from the pickup tube and wahlah, no gas for a few seconds...

Lesson Learned: When light comes on, I have less than 30 miles (assuming 60MPG) before I'm on fumes.
How much was the car estimating you had left in the tank when the light flipped on? Was it accurate? I am the type of person that flips out when the gas light turns on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Num Nums View Post
How much was the car estimating you had left in the tank when the light flipped on? Was it accurate? I am the type of person that flips out when the gas light turns on
Oops - just noticed this was the 2ndGen thread. I'm new to InsightCentral, as well as new to my car. I've had my 2000 Insight manual for little over a month. So, my info is likely of no value to your new Insight... Sorry.
jdstew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Per the government, which regulates a LOT of what goes into the manufacturing of the vehicles...........1 gallon.
They can't control how we drive, but they are geting there.....so it's up to your foot as how many miles you have left! (or The nut behind the steering wheel)
HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Williford View Post
Per the government, which regulates a LOT of what goes into the manufacturing of the vehicles...........1 gallon.
They can't control how we drive, but they are geting there.....so it's up to your foot as how many miles you have left! (or The nut behind the steering wheel)
HTH
Willie
I don't think this is correct.

Otherwise I would run out of gas in 2 blocks of the gas light going on with my other vehicle!
circa1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just thought I should mention (and you may already be aware of this) that in-tank fuel pumps are typically cooled by the fuel in the tank, so if you regularly run your tank down to near empty there is the potential to shorten fuel pump life. It is best to refill when tank is near 1/4 full.
Just sayin'!
arjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

So the light came on, it told me I had 28 miles left. I put in 8.5 gallons.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

The range estimate is based off of your current mpg. Ive gone to zero and still had gas. Basically the pointer becomes level with that solid line below the E.

The pump is in the tank and cooled by the gas, so its not good for that reason and the fact trash settles to the bottom of the tank to run it dry could get caught up in the screen.

I either fill it up for long drives or buy 2.5 gallons at my local wawa, then get a coupon and get something discounted good to at inside the store.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yum, I wish we had Wawa here!
circa1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in