Hey, this thing CAN get good MPG on the Interstate ... - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hey, this thing CAN get good MPG on the Interstate ...

It had been my idea that the Insight could only get real good MPG at 65 and under. I've been able to get low-to-mid 50's driving from 55 to 65 on rural back roads.

I sort of proved myself wrong yesterday.

I had to drive down to Charleston to pick up the old lady and I set the cruise at 70 MPH and just sat back and observed the calculated MPG gauge and the battery screen.

The wife normally drives this 50 mile route every day and I notice she's perpetually stuck at about 43 (calculated) MPG so I wondered how much higher I could get it than her.

By the time I rolled into the parking lot to pick her up I was at 49.9 (calculated) MPG.

I told her what happened and showed her the screen but she told me she's normally running late, hence the 43 MPG thing.

This is one case where leaving early can literally save you money.
Zwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2011, 02:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

its rare when i get to 50 mpg per trip when driving on the freeway
going 70 just makes it worse for me, i gotta go slower

and cruise just ruins it more when im driving on hills
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Driving over 70+ will result in a low MPG. I usually need to drive 70+ mph on a long trip. I've been getting only 38-40 mpg when driving 70+ mph. If you're willing to drive slow and take more time, of course it will result in better mpg.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~2010 Honda Insight LX Atomic Blue - 2010-04-25~
~1,000 miles - 2010-07-13~
~10,000 miles - 2011-09-05~
~20,000 miles - 2012-05-22~
~30,000 miles - 2013-03-09~
~40,000 miles - 2013-09-14~
~50,000 miles - 2014-03-20~
~60,000 miles - 2014-08-28~
runtohel121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

I do 85% Highway driving and I am averaging 51MPG. That includes about 35% of my driving in bumper to bumper traffic. Its all about pulsing the accelerator! I don't use Cruise and I use the IMA quite a bit. If its smooth sailing I lift off the throttle and feather it back on and go on the battery until I feel the car losing momentum then I pulse the throttle back up to where the ICE is telling me 2 bars over 50 until I get to speed or a hill (or behind a truck!) and go back on the IMA.
Mattie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

So what did you get on the return trip?
Jayemtee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayemtee View Post
So what did you get on the return trip?
Who, me? I don't remember.

Cruise on the Insight is terrific, I suspect the CR-Z too. Probably has a lot to do with the CVT.

If you turn ECON off it won't budge 2 MPH from where it was even if you hit a big hill. Otherwise, w/o hills, ECON on and it still pretty much stays on-point.

I've driven cars in the past where certain situations made cruise effectively useless. So to me, that's awesome.

The only thing I can do better than cruise is milking momentum - cruise can't do that.
Zwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2011, 12:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

When it coms to aerodynamics, twice the speed = 4 times the wind resistance, its not alinear relationship. Blocking the grill and some lowering will allow you to cruse at 70 and break 52mpg.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

I just drove my wife to the Philly airport, a round trip of 84 miles on I-95. The car has 6,000 miles. The car got 61.1 mpg. This is a heavily traveled road with traffic at 65+ mph. Normally, I get 43 mpg.
DE19720 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Highway mileage

Prior to a 200 miles roundtrip to Dickinson, ND from Bismarck, ND the car showed about 58 mpg- appr 45 miles of driving in town hills/ downhills and coasting as much as I could.. That 58ish went down to about 53 by the time we managed the first half of our trip (100miles there). I used the cruise at 68-70mph and let it fight the hills (most is half-3/4 mile long steady uphills at 4-5% grade). On the way back (losing 800 feet elevation) we drove into headwind and the gauge went further down to 49 mpg. I know I'm able to bring it back above 50 by the time this tank empties.. This car with it's tiny engine can't really handle the 70mph with cruise control when the trip includes uphills. After the first fill up a week ago the computer indicated about 51mpg for 450 miles but I managed to fill only 9.3 gallons of gas only in the car and that's exactly 48.9mpg (including another 200miles roundtrip to and from Dickinson, ND from Bismarck ND with occasional heavy winds..
I sure am satisfied with this car so far but I would be curious what would a Prius' computer show (or me calculate) after the same trips..
Old 09-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well I use the cruise with Econ on and I live in Pittsburgh. With the hills around here the cruise has a very slow reaction and I as much as 5 mph before the system decides to give it more gas and/or assist from the electric motor. At times I am tempted to turn off the Econ but then I say forget it. I get about 46 mpg in the summer and 40 mpg in the winter on my commute.
mank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in