I2 Best tank range so far: 660miles - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2011, 07:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default I2 Best tank range so far: 660miles

I changed my commute few months ago. The kick to $4/gal earlier this year increased my desire to do better with my Insight. I have a 30 miles commute one way (60 daily) and I used to take the highway for about 26 of those miles. I found out that I could take a local street, with lower speed limit (between 35-45 depending of the stretch) which is more direct, has timed street lights and which is also 3 miles less of commute. So a good hypermiling/fuel saving option, but an additional 10 min trade off.

I do agree with everyone around me saying I’m not driving normally (I found myself enjoying hypermiling techniques) but I don’t push it to the craziest (…yet…) with engine cut-off while P&G and stuff like that. I pretty much just use the car’s capabilities, coast whenever possible, maximize the EV mode, etc.

But the result is pretty good. I got a personal best for the tank: 660.8 miles as well as mpg: 66.2. I could have gone a bit further, but decided it was enough. I put 9.974 gal in the car. My MID is usually off by 3.2mpg. This time, it’s off by 4.2mpg… Even after 2 years driving this car, I don’t understand why the MID is so inaccurate…

Some interesting stats: the low fuel light came on at 600 miles sharp, the “0 miles left” came at 642 miles. So I drove almost 20 miles further than the 0 mark on the MID and still had fuel to go...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 660 miles photos.JPG (95.3 KB, 45 views)
Purplegate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2011, 09:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Congrads, all this traffic and construction I won't be posting anything like that any time soon. Over all I hover around 55mpg.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

COngrats man! Those are some awesome numbers.. I just recently got a 2011 White base insight and I am averaging 48mpg and my average fill up is 9.2 gals. I filled up the other day for the first time with Ethanol free gas and I am trying to see what is the best miles I can get out of this tank. The price for Ethanol free gas was a little steep though @ $4.15 a gal, compaired to $3.67 a gal for 10% Ethanol. But we shall see if I can break into the 600's, the most miles I have gotten to a tank so far is 500 but the car only has 1700 miles on it and still needs to break in. My 3 to 4 day commute to work is 21 miles each way so 42 miles total of all city driving with speed limits ranging from 40mph to 55mph. Best of luck breaking 700 LOL.. Why not right?

Last edited by lacoursiere18; 08-17-2011 at 09:16 AM.
lacoursiere18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011, 07:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

I tried many things in the past, high octane fuel and no ethenol. My conclusion is it does not pay for itself. You can get slightly better mileage, but the additional cost is higher than the gain. I gave up on this and went back to regular.

I'm sure 700 miles range is feasible. Even in the current configuration, with a bit of luck, no rain, not too much wind, etc.

With new/better tires and combined with no ethanol fuel, it's definitively possible.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Epic for a car like this. I wish my car can be something like yours.
eheart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2011, 04:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Last fill-up after 12 miles had managed to get it up to 60 MPG with some careful driving. Wife took a picture of it too as I was driving. lol

It was cool to see, had to do it at least once.

It has since equalized out to be around 45 / 46 MPG, which is not unexpected since it lives its normal life on the Interstate between 70-80 MPH.

EDIT: Recently inflated tires as the TMPS sensors began to balk ... they were all at 25 PSI. Upped them to 35 PSI, MPG came up from 39 / 41 MPG back to 44 MPG average.

Last edited by Zwolfe; 08-30-2011 at 04:24 AM.
Zwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 11:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

For my car, right now bc it's new, it takes a lot of careful driving and patience to pull those numbers off. Also, I think the heat in South Florida is killing my mileage right now..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lacoursiere18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Excellent mileage!

Wow, 600 miles is excellent for a tank. My personal best so far is 575 miles and life time average of 51.5 MPG so far with about 6000 miles on the car. I am starting to see a difference and a drop in mileage as it starts to get cooler in upstate NY in the evenings and mornings. I guess if you can do 600 miles on a tank I could do the same with some careful route planning. I have recently been using the car more on the highway at speeds of 70-72 MPH and that takes away from the mileage for sure. I found that my car gets the best mileage right around 40-45 MPH on flat roads with no lights, I think if you could go the whole tank at that speed and limit your stop and go you could reach low to mid sixties for sure. The car is very sensitive to cold, speed, and hills in my experience with it, but overall a great little car.
Mr 2011 Insight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 12:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yes, the I2 is the most efficient between 35-45 mph. Planning the road you can take, for example for your daily commute, is probably the top bullet point in the hypermyling list for daily usage. At these speeds, it quite easy to maximize the battery usage, and also max out the coasting to have efficient regen overall.

One funny thing, I was reading the Ford Focus/Hyndai Elantra challenge (seems Ford was not too happy that Hyundai got the same 40mpg EPA rating)

Ford tries to prove 2012 Focus is more fuel efficient than Hyundai Elantra

I was just thinking, at those speed and driving conditions, I would probably pop clost to 80mpg with my I2, and the I2 is about the same size/class as these 2 cars.... funny that they argue over 3 mpgs...
Old 09-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

What's "hypermiling"? (And "leanburn" for that matter... I can't find the glossary for these forums!)
The_Driving_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in