Tire Replacement - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tire Replacement

Hey guys, its time to replace the front tires as they are pretty worn out
Whats the general concensus for a replacement tire. Ive read the OEM tires stink, so what is everyone going with??
pikkashoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Keep Reading.

It's mixed. Your driving conditions and expectations will make huge difference. So much so that many people opt for winter tires and summer tires. Some people look for the best LRR and some don't. Snow, desert, rain, dirt, highway, performance, comfort all play a role.

I never had a problem with stock tires but I understand why some people did not like them.
Jayemtee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 04:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah I am in Miami, so I dont anticipate needing winter tires.
Im mostly looking for good value tire.
pikkashoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Please put your loction in your signature...Thank you

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 02:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Why do you ask people to do that anyway Willie?

That's kinda ... creepy, man. Perhaps you have a legit reason that isn't creepy.
Zwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Because people will say they get near 60 mpg's and come to find out they live in a flat part of the country, or people say they don't get good mpg's and they live in San Francisco.

Also some get snow and may want different tires. In LA we get no snow so I don't care about winter tires.

Same with oil viscosity.

etc........
CraigCA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkashoe View Post
Hey guys, its time to replace the front tires as they are pretty worn out
Whats the general concensus for a replacement tire. Ive read the OEM tires stink, so what is everyone going with??
I just ordered a set of four 175/65R-15 Yokohama AVID ENVigor tires off of Tirerack.com ($336); will be having them put on this Thursday 10/6/11.

I never had a problem with the Dunlops except 45000 miles seems quick to wear, and they were loud (though I don't know if the other options last longer or are any quieter). I cornered very good in the Dunlops and they did great in the snow and rain for me. I kept them at 44psi. I only got the Yokos because they were significantly cheaper ($336 set) than the spec'd Dunlops ($424 set) and I heard they were just as good or better on this forum. I like that they come with a treadlife warranty (60,000 miles), which the Dunlops don't which makes me think (hope) the Yoko's will last longer. I'll try to remember to let you know how they work out for me once I get them on.
insight78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 02:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Bridestones Turanza

My Insight 2010 was delivered with OEM Bridgestone Turanzas. No complaints so far > 20.000 km., whereas other owners have a lot of complaints about the Dunlops in The Netherlands.
EcoDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Got the new Yokohama Envigors on; dropped my avg mpg about 2mpg from the worn Dunlops (as calculated on MID). I wouldn't be surprised if any new tires would have resulted in a similar drop. I don't feel like these have any ride/noise/performance differences over the Dunlops. I take turns pretty tight/fast and was fine on either set of tires. But the Yokohamas were significantly cheaper and I have some hope they may last longer since they come with a treadwear warranty.
insight78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 01:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

I got about 52000 out of my dunlops. They werent that bad for me. Just loud. My tire center put Goodyear Assurance comfortred 185/60/15, My mileage went from averaging 49, to 40, I actually had a 37 MPG tank. I contacted goodyear, they told me to return them to a dealer, and they replaced them with the Assurance FuelMax 175/65/15. No questions asked. I put over 8K on them. Mileage is right back to 49. I could do better, but I cant drive 65, or 70. They will run me right off the road!! Tire is very quiet, and was great in the rain. Hopefully I get 50K out of them. So far, I like them....
shawncav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in