Wider Tires MPG tradeoff. - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wider Tires MPG tradeoff.

hi guys.

i'm looking to get some insight no pun intended on people's experience with wider tires and how significant of a MPG drop off they have seen.

please specify size of upgraded wheels and tires.
maximrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

I just recently, within the last week, installed Yokohama Touring S 195 60 R15's; on stock alloy rims. The loss in MPG I'm noticing so far is around 1 to 1.5 MPG or 2%-3%. This could easily be attributed to cold weather as well. The gain in quietness, traction, handling, responsiveness and comfort has been MONUMENTAL. My Insight feels like a different(bigger)car. If I only knew what a difference it made, I would have done it way sooner.
2010 EX with Zenex 35W HID Ballasts with Retrofit Source 4,300K Bulbs; with relay harness. Honda Splash Guards. Honda Vent Visors. Honda Rear Bumper Applique. Honda All Weather Floor Mats and Cargo Tray. Honda Leather Steering Wheel Cover. Yokohama Avid Touring S 195 60 15 Tires. Insulated doors for road noise with Quick Roof. kjanracings window rattle fix. Honda Accord Low Horn Upgrade.
firsthonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 02:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

There are two key points to remember when going to bigger tires and wheels when it comes to MPG and the Insight -
1. Try to stay as close as possible to the stock tire and wheel weight. (stock weight is 32lbs combined)
2. Always use LRR tires (Low Rolling Resistance )

I am using a light weight 15 x 7 wheel with 195/60-15 Michelin Hydro-Edge LRR tires and I have no loss of MPG. Even though the Hydro-Edge tires are not marketed as high performance tires these tires are just incredible when it comes to handling and ride.
As FirstHonda said earlier - The Insight becomes a completely different car ( sports car) when you change the tires.
Tnqr-Toy's Dad
TNQR-TOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNQR-TOY View Post
2. Always use LRR tires (Low Rolling Resistance )
That's where I strayed. I went with a touring tire for maximum comfort, traction and quietness. I'm glad I did. If I loose 1 or 2 MPG, I don't care. While the skinny Dunlops are designed for maximum fuel efficency, they sacrifice too much in other areas. They are LOUD, handle poorly, have poor traction, let you feel every little bump and wear too quickly.
2010 EX with Zenex 35W HID Ballasts with Retrofit Source 4,300K Bulbs; with relay harness. Honda Splash Guards. Honda Vent Visors. Honda Rear Bumper Applique. Honda All Weather Floor Mats and Cargo Tray. Honda Leather Steering Wheel Cover. Yokohama Avid Touring S 195 60 15 Tires. Insulated doors for road noise with Quick Roof. kjanracings window rattle fix. Honda Accord Low Horn Upgrade.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Glad it is working out for you. The tire store did a plus 1 on sizing. I have no complaints about the avids in the oem size.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was running oem 175/65 and making 48mpg on an easy driving tank. I switched to Hankook h727's and get much better traction in all situations but they are 185/60, one centimeter wider and I now average 45-56 mpg when I'm trying.

I wanna invest in a summer tire though, i'm thinking 225/45 R17. Anybody with some input on the matter is much appreciated.
InsightOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximrick View Post
hi guys.

i'm looking to get some insight no pun intended on people's experience with wider tires and how significant of a MPG drop off they have seen.

please specify size of upgraded wheels and tires.
We have seen no reduction in mpg on our 2010 I2 using Nokian WRG2 185/60 R15 tires. We have had this tire now for over 25K miles. Consumer Reports stated this was a low rolling resistance tire and they were right. Also the weight of this tire is exactly the same as the OEM Dunlops. I have stated the other benefits of this tire in other threads. The bottom line it is one of a handful of all season high performance tires that is also snow certified. You also gain higher dry and wet traction over the stock tires and the car drives much more smoothly.
WFalicoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 12:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Anyone tested a 185/65 15 tire on a stock steel Insight LX 2010 model? Not the alloy EX wheels... Still looking for a reference before I order tires come spring.
BJBuffNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 12:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJBuffNY View Post
Anyone tested a 185/65 15 tire on a stock steel Insight LX 2010 model? Not the alloy EX wheels... Still looking for a reference before I order tires come spring.
I think 185 65's will throw your speedo off too much. You need to go with a 185 60.

Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing
Old 12-26-2011, 12:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'm curious if 185 will fit properly on the stock steel wheels. I've heard many people have no problems with the premium alloy wheels, but I'm curious if anyone has had any problems with the seal and fit of a 185 on the stock 2010 steel LX wheel specifically.
BJBuffNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in