FAS/EOC with auto CVT? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default FAS/EOC with auto CVT?

My main reason for joining this forum was to get an answer to this question. I've browsed through some of the older threads in this subforum and seen that some hypermilers have used engine-off coasting (EOC) with their Insights. I've even seen some Youtube videos. I'm not sure if these drivers had auto or standard transmissions ... does the dashboard display look different for standards? If so, the cars in the youtube videos were automatics.

I had been led to believe that this technique was detrimental to automatic transmissions. I've seen advice that says not to use EOC if the car cannot be flat-towed. I looked for this in the manual but saw nothing about flat-towing, only that the car should not be shifted to neutral above 35 mph, so I assume that flat-towing is not recommended?

Is that advice to be taken with a grain of salt? What harm will be done to the transmission?
reb01501 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

Was this thread meant for the 1st or 2nd generation Insight?

The 2nd generation is only available in a CVT.

Home of the BeeMax performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2001 MT Insight @ 201k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k; 2010 CVT Insight2 @ 191k; 2001 MT Insight @ 182k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Was this thread meant for the 1st or 2nd generation Insight?
2nd

Quote:
The 2nd generation is only available in a CVT.
Oh. :forehead slap:
I didn't realize that.

My question still stands. Is EOC bad for the CVT? If so, in what way is it bad? What will happen to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi Eli! If I have a GI Insight with CVT,can I use the EOC or LAS above 40 MPH?
Why would I need two joy sticks? Thnks! Rich
NorthwestIL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2011, 07:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

You seem to be implying that my question is stupid. OK, I confess I'm somewhat ignorant when it comes to cars. Please stop taking the piss and explain why my question is stupid. Especially when I seem to be getting contradictory advice from this place and others.

Whatever happened to "the only stupid questions are the ones that aren't asked"?

PS. If I misinterpreted the "joysticks" comment, I do apologize.

Last edited by reb01501; 12-28-2011 at 10:03 AM. Reason: 2nd thoughts
Old 12-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default CVT and coasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb01501 View Post
You seem to be implying that my question is stupid. OK, I confess I'm somewhat ignorant when it comes to cars. Please stop taking the piss and explain why my question is stupid. Especially when I seem to be getting contradictory advice from this place and others.

Whatever happened to "the only stupid questions are the ones that aren't asked"?
I don't know about the 2nGen CVT, you are on your own there. With the Gen1 CVT coasting is not the problem. Stuffing it back into DRIVE at speeds over about 4MPH will destroy/wear out the start-up clutch in short order. The start-up clutch simply is not robust enough to take that kind of abuse. You may want to keep abusing your CVT. If so, please report back with your experiences so we may all profit from them.
Hugh-Falls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh-Falls View Post
I don't know about the 2nGen CVT, you are on your own there. With the Gen1 CVT coasting is not the problem. Stuffing it back into DRIVE at speeds over about 4MPH will destroy/wear out the start-up clutch in short order. The start-up clutch simply is not robust enough to take that kind of abuse. You may want to keep abusing your CVT. If so, please report back with your experiences so we may all profit from them.
Oh, I'm not using this technique - I'm trying to figure out if this is something that should even be tried with the I2. I've been reading about pulse-and-glide with eoc for several weeks now and had come to the conclusion that the technique was not applicable to the I2 - it seemed to be a technique more suited to cars with standard transmissions.

Then I came across posts in this thread where the people said they had used FAS while gliding, in addition to seeing the videos where people had demonstrated shifting to neutral and switching off the engine while coasting. So now I'm wondering if I had come to the correct conclusion. You seem to be confirming my original conclusion - thanks for your input.

Again, I'm a really good SQL Server dba and programmer, but when it comes to cars I'm clueless compared to most of you people.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb01501 View Post

PS. If I misinterpreted the "joysticks" comment, I do apologize.
That's not what he meant.. he cross posted. He was talking about MIMA for the 1st gen.

I wish I could answer your question, but I've never even driven a CVT Insight so I am not sure.

Home of the BeeMax performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2001 MT Insight @ 201k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k; 2010 CVT Insight2 @ 191k; 2001 MT Insight @ 182k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
That's not what he meant.. he cross posted. He was talking about MIMA for the 1st gen.
Darn! Sorry Rich. Joysticks, eh? Now I'm intrigued - guess I need to go investigate that MIMA thing.

Quote:
I wish I could answer your question, but I've never even driven a CVT Insight so I am not sure.
Well, I'm still getting the impression that it's not good for the CVT so that's where I guess I will leave it until hearing otherwise.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

The reason its bad is that the engine turns the oil pump and if you flat tow it you will run out of lubrication.

Even if you leave the engine running, pulse and glide does help mpg.

Ive shifted from nutral and drive countless times with no noises, motion, etc.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in