Scanguage or other device to help with fuel economy. - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Scanguage or other device to help with fuel economy.

Is the Scanguage the best for getting the most MPG or are there better choices? Does it give you much useful info you don't already get from the MID?
2010 EX with Zenex 35W HID Ballasts with Retrofit Source 4,300K Bulbs; with relay harness. Honda Splash Guards. Honda Vent Visors. Honda Rear Bumper Applique. Honda All Weather Floor Mats and Cargo Tray. Honda Leather Steering Wheel Cover. Yokohama Avid Touring S 195 60 15 Tires. Insulated doors for road noise with Quick Roof. kjanracings window rattle fix. Honda Accord Low Horn Upgrade.
firsthonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Anyone know?
2010 EX with Zenex 35W HID Ballasts with Retrofit Source 4,300K Bulbs; with relay harness. Honda Splash Guards. Honda Vent Visors. Honda Rear Bumper Applique. Honda All Weather Floor Mats and Cargo Tray. Honda Leather Steering Wheel Cover. Yokohama Avid Touring S 195 60 15 Tires. Insulated doors for road noise with Quick Roof. kjanracings window rattle fix. Honda Accord Low Horn Upgrade.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

I had a scangauge on my VW TDI. It will give you the car's OBD2 parameters. You can select which four at a time you would like to read. It will give fuel flow/distance, so that may be useful.
I just bought a Gopoint Technology's BT1 Bluetooth "scanner" ($120), that connects to a iPad, phone or Touch. I also downloaded Dash Command, ($50), that I think would have a lot of useful info regarding fuel usage. BUT. It won't connect to the insight! It did connect to several other cars, euro and earlier model years. I have a help request in to Gopoint. I may send it back if it won't worn on the Insight.
kjanracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I had an Ultragauge before I bought my ODBIIC&C. The Ultragauge will display up to 8 parameters at a time. I had the best luck with displaying the

O2 sensor 1
Throttle position sensor
Instant MPG
Average MPG

The key thing is controlling the TPS to keep the car in lean burn. O2-1 will be at .5v in normal mode .4 to .3v in lean burn and .2 in fuel injector cut out. To get into lean burn once at speed ease off of the throttle to under 20% and watch the O2 drop into LB. Then ease back into the throttle SLOWLY to maintain speed but do not exceed 30 to 32 % or it will drop out. In LB your MID will be at least 70mpg. You can do this without the ulrtragauge but it is easier with.

Note this only works on manual trans cars.
Matt's TPS mod.
Spats cutout mod.

00 5spd 190k mi
ODBIIC&C v0.76

00 5spd parts car
AClewell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

I bought my ScanGaugeII a couple weeks ago and while I can't say it's had any particular impact on my driving/MPG, I do like that it can give you information that is not readily available from the regular gauges and MID.

I like the battery state (SOC) screen on the MID, so on the SGII, so far I've been using the following:

- coolant temperature
- throttle position
- instant MPG

The forth position I haven't set on, but I've used horsepower, outside/intake air temp., etc.
RahTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I got one and I think I have been in the lead for mpg with eco mods vs hypermile driving techniques. Does that count?

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
I got one and I think I have been in the lead for mpg with eco mods vs hypermile driving techniques. Does that count?

Do you have the regular or scangauge2?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Back in 06 I got a new sg2. Used it and managed average 46 mpg in an 06 scion xa. Almost 10 over epa. I sold it to buy a pocket knife I lost fishing.

I recently bought another sg2 that was older and sent it out to be updated. They did so for FREE.

It helped me to see what is going on. I saw as the coolant temp rises the ignition drops off.

I see the coolant takes a while to really warm up vs the blue light going out. Because of this I turn the heat on later.

Knowing my exact temp makes me more comfortable blocking almost all the air spaces up front.

Knowing the intake temp helped me to figure out mpg gains v losses and cold vs warm air intakes.

The map reading has me confused. Typically when it comes to mpg you want the highest vacuum. Well, it seems the more efficient you are, the lower your vacuum is.

The voltage read out helped me to figure out the eld and how it works with back feeding in excees voltage into the ima system and not generating an ima error.

After a failed attempt at all the x guages except the horse power one. I use that, water temp, ignition and intake temp.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in