Almost got 50mpg over 100 miles - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Almost got 50mpg over 100 miles

This would be small potatoes for most of you guys, but given that I struggle to hit even the upper 30's for a tank, I was shocked when I got in to work today and saw that over 100 miles (ok, 99.9, but spread out over several days and multiple trips), I got my best ever MPG at 48.7 (on the MID, I'm sure calculated would be closer to 46). Now my goal is to try to maintain somewhere in the 40's for the tank...we'll see.

Weather has been ranging from 50-75F here recently, so no use of A/C. Tires recently topped back up to ~38psi at last fill up.

In the picture, disregard the seat belt light. Despite the fact that the car is in gear, I am in a parking space and keyed-off while in auto-stop.

This is unrelated, but Cobb, in your experience with the Enginer PHEV kit, would the smallest pack improve mileage in short (<10 mile) trips? Or does it take longer trips to get efficient use of it? I can't really afford it right now, but this is something I've had my eye on ever since you started posting about it and put up your videos with it...

The thing that kills my mileage is city/suburban driving where depending on how unlucky I am with the stoplights, I may have to come from a dead stop up to 35-45mph something like 4-5 times in about 4 miles on one particular route. Is that a scenario where the PHEV kit could help? Or are you pretty much stuffed if you have to come from a stop that often?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120307_075422.jpg (44.3 KB, 23 views)
RahTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I think I started at that fuel economy for my first tank.

The good thing about the phev kit is that you can abuse EV mode and get decent fuel economy in the city. The image/video of me getting 96mpg was from a warm start, 8 miles down the road to a 711 to get a cup of coffee. I just drove up to 40mph, then triggered ev mode and coasted til 30, then did it again.

You will find downshifting to a stop helps to dump more power than indicated on the dash into the ima pack.

I am sure if I tried at it, I could get more mpg, but I am trying to stay in a some what control environment to test things.

My roof strips blew off and I moved my phev kit forward and removed my rear bumper. I use my ride to work with cruse control to test it. At that I have to deal with our ever changing weather.

For short trips Id block the grill or half the radiator with a piece of cardboard inserted under the hood. Remove the black rubber snorkle so it suck in air down by the radiator fan. Only fill the gas tank to half vs full, no need in carrying around excess gas. Coast as much as possible to stops and be more aggressive at accelerating so you have more coast time. If auto stop wont work or last long enough use your key to fas it. Back in to parking places or look for those you can drive through and start off in the forward position.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

I drove my Insight for the first time last night. I took a 30 mile round trip ride. I was extremely disappointed I'd only averaged 36mpg. I thought at minimum I'd see 40. I kept my speed below 65mph.

Do you get worse mileage during the break in period? Before buying I looking through many sites where people were posting high 40's to low 50's mpg.

Is 35-37 the norm? I hope not
Congratulations on hitting 50mpg
RickRed40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks, I'll try some of those suggestions. The only gas station on my commute is one of the more expensive ones around, so I usually fill up somewhere else, but yeah, I probably shouldn't carry around ~35lbs more weight than I need all the time.

I didn't realize that about downshifting to a stop - as you said, if you go by the assist/charge gauge, it definitely seems to indicate the opposite...

About removing the snorkel or blocking the grill/rad, could that cause overheating when the summer heat hits??
Old 03-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Last time I get 36mpg I had a washer machine in my hatch, hatch wide open doing 80+ down i264.

I got almost 300 miles before the low gas light came on.

That sounds really, really low.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRed40 View Post
I drove my Insight for the first time last night. I took a 30 mile round trip ride. I was extremely disappointed I'd only averaged 36mpg. I thought at minimum I'd see 40. I kept my speed below 65mph.

Do you get worse mileage during the break in period? Before buying I looking through many sites where people were posting high 40's to low 50's mpg.

Is 35-37 the norm? I hope not
Congratulations on hitting 50mpg
If you go by fuelly, there are definitely people averaging in the 30's (including myself most of the time), but the majority are getting 40+:

2010 Honda Insight MPG Reports | Fuelly

People reported better mileage after break in, but I didn't really notice much. In no particular order, I think mileage comes down to: driving style, terrain, weather, and probably tire pressure. Whether or not you are carrying a bunch of weight in passengers or cargo probably affects it to some degree. The estimated number I've read elsewhere is about 2% loss for every 100lbs...not sure how accurate that is, though.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Took my first long trip 110 miles averaged 47mpg. Here's what I'm having trouble understanding. I thought the Insight would get better mileage around town because of the assist from the electric motor, and lower gas mileage on the open highway. 47 was on the open highway.

In town I've some of my trips have averaged in the 20mpg range. These were shorter trips, but still, I thought I'd use less gas, not more.
RickRed40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rickred: My guess is that your 20mpg trips are extremely short. The only time I get that mileage is if I'm literally driving a mile or two. I think a lot of people (myself included at first) vastly underestimate the difference in mpg of a car that is warmed up to operating temp. versus cold. Although not as profound, this also holds true in the summer.

- engine not as efficient
- battery not as efficient (I believe)
- car will likely not auto stop
- car will idle at higher rpms (using more fuel)
- others??

For the record- I'm in an urban area of WV (if there is such a thing), which naturally has its share of hills. I don't have a true lifetime avg., but I generally get between 40 to 50 mpg. Mostly low to mid 40's overall it seems regardless of how I drive.
InsightWV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

RahTX: FWIW- I would expect the amount of weight to effect mpg differently depending on type of drivng... for instance- I believe weight would have a larger impact on mpg when going up hills and while accelerating. So without a doubt, it would have an effect on real world mpg. However, an increase of 200 lbs. would have little effect on a car traveling at a constant speed on flat terrain, say 40 mph.
InsightWV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

20mpg is pretty abnormal, even for me (short commute), but in general this car gets better highway mileage. As opposed to say the Prius, which will get better city mileage...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in