My daily commute and mpg video logs - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default My daily commute and mpg video logs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjfK7Xrc6b0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk1AEzkHVmU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz0-3RpYkKw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om_f_qzkW08

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

You can't make any scientifically meaningful conclusions by measuring mpg on a one way trip. It has to be a round trip: end at the exact point you started.
Ideally, you measure several such round trips and average them.
MPBK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Scientific? So, I should include my whole trip including 18 stop lights, 7 miles of stop n go traffic to show the actual mpg?

I thought taking the same route, same time of day, same direction, same speed, same cargo and weather conditions was the best scientific method?

Thats one reason I use cruse control vs hypermiling, so if anyone wants to follow me they can test it and rule out driver input .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 12:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Scientific? So, I should include my whole trip including 18 stop lights, 7 miles of stop n go traffic to show the actual mpg?

I thought taking the same route, same time of day, same direction, same speed, same cargo and weather conditions was the best scientific method?

Thats one reason I use cruse control vs hypermiling, so if anyone wants to follow me they can test it and rule out driver input .

You're confusing the terms. Although repeatability is a requirement for an experiment to be valid scientifically, just because it's repeatable doesn't mean it has scientific significance.
If you want to show repeatability of a measurement, then yes, taking the same route, same time of day, same direction, same speed, same cargo and weather conditions is a good start.
But you can't use the mpg number that you get from that experiment as an indication of what your average mpg is. If you do, then your conclusion is scientifically wrong.
You got a number for a particular stretch of road.
Honda claims the average for the Insight is 42mpg. My experience confirms that they are very close.
Your video shows you averaging 80mpg in one stretch and 60mpg in another.
Unless you've added a flux capacitor or some other gizmo in your car, I'd venture to say that both of those stretches are downhill.
That's why you need to average over a round trip.

Last edited by MPBK; 03-14-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

60+80/2 is 70. I think you are mis reading what I am posting, but Ill agree with the numbers. Not quite double epa, but its livable and exceedable.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

I thought in reporting your post for excessive non-scientific arguments.
But then I notice you are the moderator. LOL

Last edited by MPBK; 03-14-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

If we are using the total tank as an average, then I get in the mid 60s. This is from a range of driving, some idle, lots of traffic.

Since you seem to be the expert, lets see your fuel economy?

Old 03-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
If we are using the total tank as an average, then I get in the mid 60s. This is from a range of driving, some idle, lots of traffic.

2010 EX with Zenex 35W HID Ballasts with Retrofit Source 4,300K Bulbs; with relay harness. Honda Splash Guards. Honda Vent Visors. Honda Rear Bumper Applique. Honda All Weather Floor Mats and Cargo Tray. Honda Leather Steering Wheel Cover. Yokohama Avid Touring S 195 60 15 Tires. Insulated doors for road noise with Quick Roof. kjanracings window rattle fix. Honda Accord Low Horn Upgrade.
firsthonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I do tend to use logic and common sense. I am also a scientist by training (an engineer to be exact).

However, I never claimed to be a hypermiler. Nor am I interested in that area / field (notice I didn't use the term science ).
I do like cars and driving. My kind of fun is going to the race track and flooring the pedal. I'm not a modder. I only replace what's broken and with OEM part, if I can help. Quite the opposite of your interests, so let's not go there.
Unfortunately, my Insight is suffering the plague of the new double secretive Honda software update, which killed its fuel efficiency. I made a thread about that, I'm sure you'll recall.

Having disclosed that background, allow me a retort:
Even if you measure over one entire gas tank it's not a valid claim for an average mpg. For instance, let's say I live in the mountains. I go on a trip to the beach. I use 1 tank to get there, but it's mostly downhill. Is that my average mpg? NOT until I go back home. As I said multiple times, you have to average over a round trip, back to where you started.

Food for thought: if, as you claimed, a one way trip over select stretches of road is a valid measure, then I don't understand what hypermiling is all about.
We all know that when the Insight is coasting down hill, it displays 99.99mpg.
I have one particular stretch with just enough inclination that I can coast at 40mph over the entire mile long. If I were to tape that and post on youtube, you'd see my display at 99.99.
Do I beat y'all hypermilers?

Last edited by MPBK; 03-14-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsthonda View Post

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in