This thing just gets better and better.... - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default This thing just gets better and better....

We bought our brand new (UK) I2 EX a week ago, and I know you guys like to measure the 'last tank mpg', but I've just done a mixed journey (cold start, 10 miles of open road, 3 miles in town - then all the way back home again - at 64mpg (imperial/UK gallons) which is 52.5mpg (US gallons). On the way home I tucked it into 'sport' mode and hauled past a slow-moving truck.

I have a friend who's a motoring journalist and when I told him about our new I2 he said "oh, so you've 'gone green'! But, hey - you won't get anything like the mileage that Honda tell you".

Well, there's one theory out 'the window already...

My car has only done 277 miles from new, and people on this forum seem to be saying that I'll do a fair bit better after a few thousand miles. That said, I think I'm doing ok already, bearing in mind that the car and I are both rookies!

I'll start recording my 'last tank mpg' soon (I know that's what really counts), but we've not had to fill up the tank yet. My respect for this car just grows and grows...
Alfettaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Nice job, keep it up

There was probably a good year or so that I was getting pretty frustrated with this car...seemingly never able to get over the mid-to-upper 30's for a tank average. I'm finding that it's not impossible, but my normal short commute, makes it very challenging, to say the least

As far as MPG goes, my one remaining complaint with this car is the overly optimistic MID. I thought it was 1 or 2 MPG off, but my last tank showed 48.0 on the MID, but was 44.2 when calculated. Almost 10% off

I was like "nearly 50!" before submitting to Fuelly, and then saw the calculated

Just out of curiosity, have you found the MID to be as far off on the 2012?
RahTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 05:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks: your observations on the (maybe quite seriously) inaccurate MID are interesting. I can't say very much about my car yet, as we've only just filled up for the first time and I don't really know how full the tank was when we picked the new car up from the dealer.

I'll update this a tank (or two) from now, when a clearer picture of the actual and MID consumption should be starting to emerge...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

The car has been growing on me as well. Part of the getting better and better has been taking on the challenge of discovering driving techniques for best mpg.

Determining an accurate mpg figure has turned out to be a little more difficult then one might think, at first. It has bee a great help to report all fill ups / gas put into the car, to my Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG account. That way over a stretch of say 3 - 6 fill ups I can get a reliable picture of mpg performance. Also I've programed the "A" mpg read out to reset with each fillip. And I reset the "B" read out every morning before starting the engine, to get a daily mpg readout. Then again as needed to checkout or compare various driving techniques, routes, and etc.
Have the engine operate as little as possible, especially when standing still or moving slowly; while also meeting my demands for power and maneuvering. This means most battery charging while cruising city streets and rural roads, max regen from slowing down and downgrades, and only using heater or A/C when the engine is on for other purposes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Moviemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

27k miles on 2010 Insight. MIDI indicated 52mpg, sometimes getting to 53mpg for 15/16 of tankfull. Then when refilling gas tank divided gallons into mileage and got 48mpg. I am so disappointed!. I thought I had finally broken the 50mpg barrier. It had the econ button on the entire tankfull. This tank I will be running with econ button off. I think with it on it just makes the MIDI give higher bogus numbers. It must be a feel good button.
freddy the mug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default 55mpg (UK) at first proper fill-up

Today we filled up for the second time, so I know that the tank was full at both fill-ups. So far we're getting 55mpg (UK/Imperial gallons) = 45.8 mpg (US gallons).

My car has only travelled 420 miles from new, so I'm pleased with this - but I want 60mpg (UK) = 50 mpg (US)! I'll work hard with this tankful, and let you know what happens...
Old 03-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

An actual 50 mpg (US) for a tank of gas has been my goal as well. It IS achievable!!

The in-accuracy of the MID mpg read out has been a topic of extensive discussion here many months ago. I did a 6 tankfull comparison test, and found that the MID readout for a 9 gal fill up was ON AVERAGE 2.9 mpg optimistic. Meaning that you can estimate your actual mpg any time by subtracting 3 from whatever the MID is saying.
Have the engine operate as little as possible, especially when standing still or moving slowly; while also meeting my demands for power and maneuvering. This means most battery charging while cruising city streets and rural roads, max regen from slowing down and downgrades, and only using heater or A/C when the engine is on for other purposes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

It isn't just the Honda MID that overestimates mpg. Accuracy in these factory gauges is rare indeed.
How accurate are are factory/OEM MPG fuel economy gauges ? - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com
Old 03-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb01501 View Post
It isn't just the Honda MID that overestimates mpg. Accuracy in these factory gauges is rare indeed.
How accurate are are factory/OEM MPG fuel economy gauges ? - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com
Thanks for the link.
Our other car is an 2006 I1, which my wife drives. When we first got it we were both happy and amazed to see an in-dash mpg gauge. What a great addition, and how very appropriate for a car dedicated to high mpg! After driving the car for awhile I got curious about the accuracy of the gauge. I spot checked it 3-4 times and found the gauge right on for accuracy or off one way or the other by 0.1 mpg. So all the complex technical issues for an in-dash mpg gauge have been solved.....I thought.

In '09 I bought an I2. Its gauge has been inaccurate as extensively discussed. Being a daily watcher of mpg, knowing my indash gauge is inaccurate and knowing that Honda can do better I have made my complaint known to Honda and encourage others to do so as well.

At consistently 3 mpg optimistic at 50 mpg for the tankfull thats (3 / 50 = .06) 6%. Which is generally consistent with the "industry standard" alluded to in yur link.

Blue Bird (Honda Insight) | Fuelly

Last edited by Moviemike; 03-28-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

I started to put in what the MID says on my Fuelly, My MID seems to be about 2.4+mpg optimistic. It was 3mpg optimistic this latest fillup. With only 3 occurrences it seems that the higher the actual mpg, the more optimistic the MID is.

Fuelly
mikejbb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in