MPG drop with Bridgestone Ecopia 422 195 60R15? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default MPG drop with Bridgestone Ecopia 422 195 60R15?

Hello folks,

At 32k miles, my Dunlops were running quite bare. I live in SoCal and on 10 mile commutes to work, in which around 60% of the distance is highway driving, I'd get around 48-52mpg on the MID with the Dunlops at 38 PSI all around.

I just bought four Bridgestone Ecopia 422's at Costco, sized at 195/60R15 87H as I've seen several folks on these forums raving about this tire size (the Yokohamas in particular). There were one or two reports of the Bridgestone Ecopia 422's here as well, and they were positive.

So I've had the tires for around 30 miles worth of driving, and have them at 41 PSI all around (they felt too sloshy at 33 PSI). It seems like my mileage in moderate stop/go traffic and on the highway has dropped a bit. On the way home today, the MID stayed at 40-41mpg on the highway, whereas it would normally be around 44 or 45mpg (around 68 mph). In the city (moderate stop/go), normally mileage would hover in the mid 30s, but it dropped to the high 20s/low 30s. That said, there was a bit of a headwind today so maybe I shouldn't jump to conclusions.

The max sidewall of the tire is 44 PSI, but I feel like they are still a bit sloshy at 41 PSI all around (measured using an accurate digital gauge). Should I try running a bit higher?

Also, I've never had an alignment done, and the car is 3 yrs old. Could this perhaps help?

Maybe the tires just need to "break in"?

Last edited by Zangetsu57; 04-17-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Zangetsu57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

tires need to break in. i would give it atleast a couple hundred miles if you're doing mostly highway. If you still have trouble then you may have a legitmate issue with the tires performance.
maximrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangetsu57 View Post
Maybe the tires just need to "break in"?
All new tires need to break in. Rolling resistance is always higher with brand new treads.

MPG aside, have you experienced a reduction in tire noise and smoother ride with the Escopias?
2010 EX with Zenex 35W HID Ballasts with Retrofit Source 4,300K Bulbs; with relay harness. Honda Splash Guards. Honda Vent Visors. Honda Rear Bumper Applique. Honda All Weather Floor Mats and Cargo Tray. Honda Leather Steering Wheel Cover. Yokohama Avid Touring S 195 60 15 Tires. Insulated doors for road noise with Quick Roof. kjanracings window rattle fix. Honda Accord Low Horn Upgrade.
firsthonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsthonda View Post
All new tires need to break in. Rolling resistance is always higher with brand new treads.

MPG aside, have you experienced a reduction in tire noise and smoother ride with the Escopias?
The ride does seem a bit smoother, but not tremendously so, more "damped" if anything for larger bumps (speed bumps are a LOT better). Handling seems better when cornering turns; I certainly feel more comfortable turning at a higher speed. There does seem to be a bit more "slosh" when steering marginally to the left or to the right at highway speeds.

I think road noise was decreased too, but I don't have a digital sound level meter to verify.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Has anyone tried the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 in 175/65R15 size? It turns out Costco has these and would be willing to swap them out within 30 days if I'm still not satisfied.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

I am thinking of buying new tires in the 185/65r15 size which is just .5" taller and am wondering about the wisdom of it. (2% oversize).

Last edited by t walgamuth; 04-23-2012 at 12:21 AM.
t walgamuth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

never mind.
t walgamuth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 02:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
I am thinking of buying new tires in the 185/65r15 size which is just .5" taller and am wondering about the wisdom of it. (2% oversize).
I've heard folks around here advise against 185/65R15, and in favor of 195/60R15 or 185/60R15.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Getting an alignment check is a very good idea. Mine was way out, hurting mpg and greatly decreasing tire life. I had it checked again after just 12k miles on the new tires and it had just slipped out of spec. Needing a very small adjustment.

This may be a factor of early production vehicles, but also could be an on going design weakness.
Have the engine operate as little as possible, especially when standing still or moving slowly; while also meeting my demands for power and maneuvering. This means most battery charging while cruising city streets and rural roads, max regen from slowing down and downgrades, and only using heater or A/C when the engine is on for other purposes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Moviemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 02:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

Does it matter whether I get the alignment before or after getting a new set of tires? I've read that it doesn't, but when I called to schedule, the receptionist said otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in