I finally broke 100 mpg :D - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default I finally broke 100 mpg :D

Ive removed my passenger side mirror and about done all I could with the front end to help with aero and mpg. Ive decided to start being more active in driving vs using cruse control set to 55mph.

The past few days Ive been letting the car coast more by using the ev mode technique to extend coasting if not maintain speed or even accelerate on some down grades. It seems 50mph is about tops and the slowest I am willing to go on i95.

Its a full time job to get and maintain. I did it for 5 miles. My commute to work ended above 80. Its normally at the low 70s. I think I will seriously consider installing a FAS switch to the injector wires to allow me to kill the motor or keep it from using fuel.

My previous mpg mile stones were done on back roads in Surry, VA where I use to live. The 79 mpg was done shortly after I got my car. Then the 96 mpg was after my enginer phev kit going for a cup of coffee.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 02:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Congratulations! The best I have done is 72 mpg. This is at an average speed of 65 mph over a 30 mile trip. If you were to name the best mods that are easiest to implement to gain mpg would would they be? Obviously you have pulled all the stops on getting above 100.

W. Falicoff
WFalicoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 04:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

No passenger mirror.............Ticket time.?
(haven't seen any posts about a back up camera cobb)

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Williford View Post
No passenger mirror.............Ticket time.?
(haven't seen any posts about a back up camera cobb)

Willie
Depends on the state. You need to check your local laws before trying something like this.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Legal issues aside it comes down to a willingness to compromise for the sake of fuel consumtion reduction.

I personally would not be willing to get rid of the passenger side mirror. There is a big fat blindspot on the rear passenger side and good placement of that nice large mirror Honda have given us means that it isn't a problem.

Quite frankly, without that passenger side mirror I would not regard the car as safe to use on anything bigger than a single-carriageway road.

I also don't think in-motion FAS is safe with our CVT transmission. Manual transmission is one thing where you can just bring up the clutch pedal and you're instantaneously in control. The Insight's CVT, where there is a delay from turning the key to the transmission re-engaging properly, is quite another. Would this be any better with a dedicated switch?

Another thing - what would an insurance company think of mods such as mirror removal or FAS switch? In the UK an insurer would be within their rights to refuse to pay out on a claim if they had not been told about modifications to the car that could affect the vehicle's safety features or value. If you did tell them, I would have thought the premium would go up considerably. See here: News : insurance claims refused after failure to disclose key facts - The AA
Old 05-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
Legal issues aside it comes down to a willingness to compromise for the sake of fuel consumtion reduction.

I personally would not be willing to get rid of the passenger side mirror. There is a big fat blindspot on the rear passenger side and good placement of that nice large mirror Honda have given us means that it isn't a problem.

Quite frankly, without that passenger side mirror I would not regard the car as safe to use on anything bigger than a single-carriageway road.
I will grant you that one. Many modders get around the legal issue by putting an extra mirror inside the car, but that cannot do as well as the outside mirror at eliminating the blind spot you describe. Modders will counter that people drove cars for years without a passenger-side mirror, but I'm not convinced by that argument.

Quote:
I also don't think in-motion FAS is safe with our CVT transmission. Manual transmission is one thing where you can just bring up the clutch pedal and you're instantaneously in control. The Insight's CVT, where there is a delay from turning the key to the transmission re-engaging properly, is quite another. Would this be any better with a dedicated switch?
I don't really buy this "loss of control" objection, however. Brakes and steering still work. The only thing "lost" is the ability to quickly accelerate ... why would that be such a loss, especially when going downhill? The only situation I can think of is when one is boxed into a lane by traffic in adjoining lanes and there is a runaway 18-wheeler looming in the rear-view mirror. Putting aside the rarity of this situation occurring, I submit that if traffic is heavy enough to box one into a lane in this situation, there will likely be traffic ahead preventing an escape by acceleration, no matter how quickly one is able to apply it. I suppose the ability to accelerate instantaneously might allow one to reach a gap in the traffic to allow a lane switch, but even that move is fraught with danger.

Quote:
Another thing - what would an insurance company think of mods such as mirror removal or FAS switch? In the UK an insurer would be within their rights to refuse to pay out on a claim if they had not been told about modifications to the car that could affect the vehicle's safety features or value. If you did tell them, I would have thought the premium would go up considerably. See here: News : insurance claims refused after failure to disclose key facts - The AA
That's just crap! Insurers looking for every excuse in the book to avoid paying claims. Why on earth couldn't they have given the policyholders in each case the option of paying the extra money (including a penalty fee for the dishonesty) required to keep the policy in force? So much easier, and more lucrative as well, to pocket the premiums already paid and bankrupt the policyholder. Sure, they're "within their rights", but it's still crap, I say!
Old 05-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb01501 View Post
That's just crap! Insurers looking for every excuse in the book to avoid paying claims. Why on earth couldn't they have given the policyholders in each case the option of paying the extra money (including a penalty fee for the dishonesty) required to keep the policy in force? So much easier, and more lucrative as well, to pocket the premiums already paid and bankrupt the policyholder. Sure, they're "within their rights", but it's still crap, I say!
Crap it may be but that's the letter of the law in the UK. Insurers can and do use it to get out of paying out on claims. Get caught with undeclared mods after an accident and it's crap creek without a paddle time!

Regarding FAS - it's admittedly rare that you will need to accelerate going downhill. However the unexpected can and does happen. There are stupid / aggressive / unobservant drivers about and strange things happen.

I was rear-ended by a tradesman's van the year before last (before I had the Insight). As it happens the incident occurred on a slight uphill but it could just as easily happened downhill. Noticing the situation slighly earlier, having a more powerful car and / or planting my foot on the gas sooner could have prevented it (or at least reduced the impact). I was approaching a broken down bus on a dual carriageway in the overtaking lane at caution. A car driver pulled out in front of me to get around the bus so I had to slow down even more. Meanwhile the van driver (who originally had a more than adequate stopping gap) seemed not to have noticed the situation unfolding. Saw him coming in the rear-view mirror, realised he was going too fast and just had time to plant my head back on the headrest and foot on the gas before impact (no whiplash for me and only a bit of rear bumper damage - Yay!).

The comical thing was he was apparrently late for his physiotherapist appointment needed because of whiplash from somebody crashing into the back of him...
Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Maybe I should take the 5th?

Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Maybe I should take the 5th?

if anything should happen just claim the mirror was lost in the accident and you have no idea where it is.
maximrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I am not going to hash and rehash safety. Once upon a time reverse lamps, seat belts, air bags, ABS, turn signals, rear wipers, 3rd brake light, DRL, passenger side and rear view mirrors not to mention rear bumpers were all optional equipment on vehicles. Further back people use to walk where they needed to go or ride an animal.

If you actively use something and can not do with out, then I suggest you leave it in tact. You shouldn't do anything to your car that makes it a danger or hazard for YOU to drive.

Ive driven a lot of vehicles with 2+ wheels on it and at times no passenger or rear view mirror. With this circumstances you drive accordingly or not at all.

The only thing I used my passenger side mirror was for parking an inch against the drivers side of the big SUVS that park in the cross areas of the handicap parking places who didnt even had a handicap parking thing where I work.

The passenger side mirror seems to help more with driving around 45mph mpg and abouts. I cant see any actual benefit at 55mph. I may leave the drivers side intact unless I see a slick pair at the bone yard. I have an extra mirror on my rear view mirror since this change.

The biggest improvement to mpg is to adjust the nut behind the steering wheel. Yes, the way you drive plays a very important role. Turning off your power steering by removing the fuse only netted me 2mpg.

Next I would say using the sidewall psi on your tires and blocking 3/4 of your lower grill.

If you use the HVAC, I suggest not using the auto feature and use the least amount of heat you need in the winter and in the summer set it to LO and use the blower speed to make the interior of your vehicle warmer or cooler.

Next to pre or grid chagrinning your IMA battery you can also do this to your accessory battery. You can get a trickle charger from harbor freight for about 6 bucks and this will help on shorter trips, much like precharging your IMA battery.

The last thing Id suggest is a phev kit. Enginer or Jack sells the guts and you supply the batteries and charger for less than a grand. His kits use 48 volts. You can use 4 12 volt deep cycle batteries and for those batteries use 4 12 volt chargers like the one mentioned above.

The nice thing about the enginer kit is that it makes the car more drivable and you can drive in the left lane, go 70 mpg and still break 50mpg. Id also consider this if you think 5 more hp or a small turbo is in your future. At least you dont need premium fuel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in