2012 Insight EX - Real World MPG specs - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2012 Insight EX - Real World MPG specs

Hey everyone,

I bought my new 2012 Insight EX in March and so far I love my I2. Having traded in my 2006 Mustang averaging 17mpg, my new Insight is practically paying for itself!! Not that I'm complaing as I'm getting over twice the mpg's i used to get but I still feel like I'm falling short of others on this forum. I see some people averaging up to 47-50mpg's and I really want to get those figures. When I first got my car, I was averaging 38mpg. After reading this forum and changing my driving pattern, I was able to get up to 40-42mpg but my highest was 43.1mpg. I held that for about a month or two but when the Miami heat started and I used my AC more often I saw my MPG steadily drop over the last few months. Now I'm back down to 38-39MPG average up to 41 with highway driving. I understand the AC takes a toll on MPG but I'm just curious how can anyone get up to 45mpg or higher? Even with AC off and driving as conservatively as possible I find it hard to reach anywhere near those figures. I've upped my tire pressure, turn off the AC (when I can) and try to coast and engage light EV driving whenever possible but even with all that I still average 40-41mpg. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!
koodos2123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

MPG depends on a lot of things. Your driving style, weather, road condition, how the road was made, any hills, tire pressure, etc. The only suggestion I can give you is predict the stop lights in city and don't accelerate too fast. I can only average 45mpg in CA driving, includes hills, highway, city, but temperature not too extreme.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~2010 Honda Insight LX Atomic Blue - 2010-04-25~
~1,000 miles - 2010-07-13~
~10,000 miles - 2011-09-05~
~20,000 miles - 2012-05-22~
~30,000 miles - 2013-03-09~
~40,000 miles - 2013-09-14~
~50,000 miles - 2014-03-20~
~60,000 miles - 2014-08-28~
runtohel121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the response. Yes, I've tried to distance myself from traffic in front of me and have gotten pretty good at timing the red lights but like you said ALOT of things come into play. Mostly I've noticed is road conditions here in Miami, our highways are very "hilly" and it takes alot of practice to learn how to get the most speed in between the "hills" so that you don't rev too much to get to the other side. Thanks for the input!
koodos2123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Congrats on the new vehicle. Your typical commute or trip length will greatly affect your mileage. If you're doing all short trips it will lower your mpg when compared to a longer distance commuter. I've had my 2012 EX for about 10 weeks and I've seen mileage between 45.7 and 50.4 actual. The worst tank so far was a week when we had some 100 degree weather. Best was a tank with a couple of 110 mile trips on it. I've got a 22 mile commute one way and normally the climate here only forces us to air condition on the afternoon trip home. I try to run cruise only in flat areas.

Your comparative mileage to your last car is a great improvement, that's truly your best indicator. I suspect you'll see a gradual increase as the weather cools and you can ease back on the A/C.
Good luck,
Brian
BrianZ54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 03:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Mpg

I purchased my new 2012 insight in May. I have taken roadtrips from my home on the Washington coast to both California and Eastern Washington. The mpg is not consistant and the best way to really calculate it is to use the actual miles driven divided by fuel purchased. My normal driving (I live 20 miles from town) averages 46-50 mpg, its pretty flat a few small hills. My worst has been low 30s, that was through the Siskue Mountains. My best was 59. I also think the gas I use makes a difference. I know fuel all comes from the same place, but the additives in the fuel at chevron seem to help in my car. I dont always use chevron but that how I know it makes a difference. In town I still get the 46-50. I coast when I can, gain speed quickly as opposed to slow and then ease up on the gas. I have not tried inflated tire pressure or anything, in fact I am running with whatever the dealer had in it. I love my car, sure beats my old caravan. lol Best of luck to you, enjoy your car.
earthcentral is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Got mine in the fall and we're slowly entering the winter. My current score is 34 mpg! Between the short commute, the defroster, the humidity/fog and low temperatures (I can sacrifice my well-being and not turn on the heater ) there's only so much I can do to be more eco-friendly.

I turn in earlier at work to give myself the time to drive like a snail and gain some leaves on my little plants.

What I have to avoid though, is driving to impress my relatives and pushing over speed limits in town.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

My commute is only 15 miles and is a mixture of lanes and motorway (highway)... I always stick to the speed limit and try to glide as much as possible.

I do however find that weather really can impact the mpg too - especially rain and cold!

In ideal conditions I can easily hit 60mpg (uk gallons) over my commute (including traffic and cold start), but in the colder / wetter conditions, I easily see a drop of 6-7mpg.

I don't use a block heater or anything and the car is always outside.

You know you're an insight driver when you think 52mpg on petrol is bad for a family car!

Edit: so that's about 45-50mpg average (over 8K miles) when converted to US gallons!

Last edited by JamesK-insight; 11-10-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Added US mpg
JamesK-insight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in