Maintenance = better mpg? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Maintenance = better mpg?

So recently I watched my maintenance minder pass 15%, 10, 5 then it started counding negative miles. The time was B123, and I had 30,200 miles on the 2011 insight. I just bought new michelin defenders 285/60/15 the weekend before I took the car in for the oil change and transmission fluid change. I noticed my previous mpg per tank dropping 1 to 2 mpg per tank, down to about 40mpg per tank(average of 44.5), and over the last 5K miles noticed a jerky condition when accelerating. So after the work and a fresh top off of fuel from my normal store, the very next tank was 49mpg, a 9mpg change for no change in driving habits at all... I would like to think the dealer added a firmware update? I will have to confirm the increase on the following tanks, but seems odd. Has anyone else noticed after maintenance their mpg increasing? I have read after 5k, 10k and 20k miles the car breaks in and mpg increases, but just curious if it is a fluke or if others have seen the same result.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
atvkrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I notice a 3-5 mpg gain from a oil change even at 15% service life remaining. Then up to 5mpg gain from the gas at various gas stations.

Hard to say about the firmware update. The biggest side effect is smoothness in engagement of the clutch, but a cvt fluid change has a similar effect.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Nothing like some clean oil to make everything run smoothly and efficiently! Leading to top mpg!

I change the oil at 4-5k miles. Around 50% on the MID. I know it can go longer between changes, but I've been repeatedly told that frequent oil changes are the best preventative maintenance one can do.

A smooth running engine/transmission is a happy engine/transmission, one that may live long into old age
Have the engine operate as little as possible, especially when standing still or moving slowly; while also meeting my demands for power and maneuvering. This means most battery charging while cruising city streets and rural roads, max regen from slowing down and downgrades, and only using heater or A/C when the engine is on for other purposes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Moviemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Maybe the tire size is partly to blame for the lower mpg? I didn't think you could stuff that much meat under the wheel well.
CarlosZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosZ View Post
Maybe the tire size is partly to blame for the lower mpg? I didn't think you could stuff that much meat under the wheel well.
I think that's a typing error, 185/60/15 is the 2012 size and many of us 2010 owners are using that size.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I would of tried a 70 or 75 tire to increas the over all gearing. As is I see my load at 50% at 55mph. Once you go over 36 it seems the cvt starts to shift ratios and you want to lug the engine to a point for best mpg.

Right now there is a thread on the eco modder form about taller tires on a crz helping mpg.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in