Advancing the Ecomods - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advancing the Ecomods

Well, I have effectively shed 77 lbs from my 2010 insight. Spare tire, jack and tools and all the foam around it, all plastic and floor (carpet) in the hatch, back of the rear seats on the passenger side (the "60" of the 60/40 split), all headrests and floor mats (except mine). totaled to 77.4 but I am sure there is some deviation on a common household scale. So far I have also blocked the lower front grille and am using a 62 watt 12V solar panel through a 30amp hour 12v control arm to keep the 12V charged.

My question to others out there who may have done this or would know. Can I put the 1st gen rims and rubber on mine instead of putting on moon caps. I don't even know if moon caps would fit on my rims (I don't have steelies) And I would also question to those who may have done this; wheel fairings for the rear wheels. I see many different formats to doing this online and not sure what the best way to go about it is or which source would be best to follow. And lastly, has anyone put extra sheet metal or plastic underneath to reduce drag; or would lowing the car be better (I do no know how to lower my car) And I don't know if getting a turbo would be better than a phev if I would ever be able to save that much money.

Most of my driving is in the city so maybe these mods would be splitting hairs. I am getting an average in the high 50's for mpg already. But I'm sure they would help on the occasional highway trip. I have looked all over Ecomodder.com and tried to decipher through the posts to figure some of this stuff out but I'm having trouble with it all. Any help or suggestions would be great.
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I think everyone can agree lowering with tanabe springs has helped. I have a cut pair of oem springs for 100 bucks if you are interested. They are cut 1 coil. They give about a 2 inch drop, but if you load your car up and go over a nice bump it will scrape.

Another idea is to cut a gutter drain pipe to make 2 L pieces and place them around the sides and front to further reduce the space air can travel under your car.

Inaddtion to narrower tires, you can increase the psi.

Eco modder has a lot about aero. Maybe a boat tail extension would help, but may make the car more difficult to park?

I want to fool with the vtec, hoever most mods are to leave it on for more power over all. I got 2 oil psi meters I want to hook to each gallery to see how it work and what I need to do to make it more efficient.

The wheels are a standard 4x 100 15 inch with 40 back spacing.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

But will lowering really help me in the city? I know I take the occasional road trip, and I'm sure it would then but my average speed on my tanks nearly always show up as 25mph. We talked about the rain guter thing in the past, just a little confused I guess as to how to accomplish it and where to attach them, but i would definetly try that out. I keep the tires at about 47 psi so the rolling resistance seems pretty good to me right now. And i'm not ready for new tires just yet so I will wait till then to buy narrower tires. Thats why I'm looking into Gen1 tires, to see if they would work. You said standard is 4x100 15 in with 40 back spacing. is that the Gen1 or 2? if I could find the exact specs (had a hard time with that on google) for both I could start buying or rule it out now.

Whats going on with the oil psi meters and hooking them up? how does that work?
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Sounds like you need mods for stop n go vs highway. Not sure I can really help here. Less weight is really the only way to go other than picking roads with 45 mph limits, timing lights and working on your acceleration rate and increasing your braking distances so you coast more.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

No worries on that. I have just been stuck in the high 50's and can't seem to do much better. I should probably just be satisfied with about 45% above EPA. I use some of your tricks for highway trips and took a segment the other day of 50 miles each way (100 total) with mixed driving between 35 and 55 going through towns. Got lucky with most of the red lights on that highway and it came out to 68 mpg (73 MID) even with my wife and son in the car. So your stuff really does work. I think a PHEV is my only real option at this point. For highway stuff or even just general driving I'm curious to see if the moon discs will fit over alloy wheels instead of steel rims.

Last edited by jtshuey; 09-23-2012 at 02:02 PM.
jtshuey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 05:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Alright. Came up with a quick design similar to me lower grille block. I don't have enough materials to do this just yet but let me hear thoughts on this. My wheel skirts in the back are going to be made out of Lexan. I'll cut it out off a card board template, leave several tabs along the semi-circle, heat gut the tabs to bend over to screw into the mud flap spots, and silicone the skirt to the fender well the rest of the way around. Oh, and paint it black. Now it looks a little rough on the front but I havn't redone my prototype because the day I put it on it was colder than the day prior to putting it on and my car heated up much faster, so being functional I left it in place. But this time I will be taking much more care. Then its off to Lowes to get large sheet metal for an under body.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in