2013 Honda Insight Mileage Results! - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2013 Honda Insight Mileage Results!

Ok below is a video I just made showing my mileage results on my brand new 2013 Honda Insight EX I just purchased last week.

The only other Hybrid I have ever driven was my original 2001 Insight CVT traded it on in 2003 after I put a lot of mileage on it, I am sure that experience has helped me gain these good results so quickly.

A few notes its in the high 30's here today and gas been very cold since I got the car and the car has just over 100 miles on it so we are still in the bresk in period, car is stock except for me pumping all the tires up to 40 psi and putting in 93 octane gas from Shell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Oo...e_gdata_player

Last edited by W4LNY; 01-23-2013 at 06:12 PM.
W4LNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Not bad. Add a grill block and you should be able to get another 5 on top of that.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

I blocked just the bottom grill with pipe insulation from Loews it only cost me $2.00, the next night on my drive home I averaged 64.7 again the temperature was in the high 20's. Bottom grill is completely blocked but I left the top grill open as normal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Insight.jpg (74.1 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by W4LNY; 01-26-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default 2013

Very nice! I also am a new 2013 owner. Still have just ~200 miles on mine--weather has been terrible this week so I haven't been driving it--and am averaging 49.3 overall but well into the 60s highway. I'm also still running completely stock. No grill block, but have been avoiding the ultra cold weather...

JC
Old 01-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Insight is a hoot in the snow. VSA & T/C it's like training wheels for tots.

I tried to get mine sideways yesterday, it wouldn't do it. It would going backwards but not going forward.

Nice MPG BTW.
Zwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

I wish I could get ours to touch the 60mpg range. Last night I averaged 54.9mpg on the way home from work (67 mile drive) but I was only going about 55 mph due to slower traffic with snow on the road. Normally we're closer to 70mph and the mileage is just a little over 50mpg. I have blocked the lower valence off too but still am not getting the same mileage as you guys are reporting in. What am I doing wrong? ECO is always on, not touching the cruise control, heater fan off, and predicting the ups/downs of the hills in the road...
quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Be easy on the gas pedal, I try to "aim" the instantaneous meter on or around the "75" mark and try to stay away from stop and go traffic, your mileage will drop rapidly, your best mileage will be on roads with speed limits around 45 mph and limited stops.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think our speeds and hills are the culprits then. I'm always mindful of the instantaneous meter, but am thankful to just keep it over the 50mpg bar. Since it is a 65mph highway that we need to take on the way to work I think I'll have to be happy with what I'm getting thus far. Only the last few miles are in the 45-50mph range.
quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default mileage max

The only time so far that I've seen 60+ mpg is at about 62 mph, using cruise control, on a generally flat 4-lane highway. But keep in mind it was ~35 F at the time. I'm sure it's similarly winter weather where you are now, and mileage will only get better as it warms up. Insight owners who are getting over 60, 70 mpg in hilly terrain *really* know what they're doing, and I also suspect that cold wintry weather is a double negative when pulling up hills. Just seems that everything runs better in the summer months.

JC
Old 01-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

jc2bg, defiantly try covering your bottom grill, since I tried it, I have found it defiantly works to improve mileage, and seems to be safe for any temps below 50 degrees, here is a pic of mine, I just went to Loews and purchased pipe insulation, nothing is glued or stuck to the car, just used the frame of the grill to hold it in place, even went through a car wash with it and it didn't move.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Insight-Grill.jpg (94.3 KB, 45 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2013, insight ex, mileage, mpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in