36.4mpg on 2010 Insight - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question 36.4mpg on 2010 Insight

I got my 2010 Insight on the 9th of April. I filled up on the 19th, and then again on the 4th of March. So the gas milage is better than the Civic that I had...but not by much. If I would of know I would just get 36.4mpg I would of saved the trouble and just stayed with the Civic. The paper on the car said 40 in the city and 44 on Highway. So how is it that I am only getting 36.4. I am not using defrost, heater, or AC. I just used the CD player and have it to pull air from the outside, and have ECON on. I accelerate to the point that it stays green, rather than the angry cyan or dark blue color. My route is about 25 minutes, 20 on Interstate and 5 on city/country roads. I do live in the cold Midwest, but I let my car warm up before driving and don't floor it like I used to get up to speed. I slow down at stop lights, almost glide to a stop. So I doing what other threads say to do, but still can't get up to 40mpg. My tire pressure is at 50psi, so that isn't the issue. One day I did get 44.4mpg when it was 34 degrees outside. Lately though it has been in the 20's for temp. But should that make the much of a difference?

Any advice on how to get it 40...or more? I have read people getting over 50 which I would love to get one day.
snowvail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

"Got my Insight 9th April. I filled upon the 19th, then again on the 4th of March."

(Three tanks in one year?)

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Williford View Post
"Got my Insight 9th April. I filled upon the 19th, then again on the 4th of March."

(Three tanks in one year?)

Willie
Whoops. I meant I filled up and bought on Feb 9th, then again 19th of Feb, and again on March 4th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

LOL, gotta love Willie, he's gotten me on a few typo's too. So the car is used, what is your milage on it? How is your battery state most of the time? If it is weak and the car is trying to charge it up alot your milage will suffer.

Also if it is high milage the injectors could be dirty, probably wouldn't hurt to run a bottle of injector cleaner through the next tank. Also check your engine air filter, if it is dirty and clogged it will affect your MPG.

So how fast are you driving on the hwy? Speed is a big killer of MPG, the other big killer is stop signs/lights. Sounds like you've been gleaning the good habbits so we just need to rule out anything with the car.

Yes the cold will hurt you especially during the first few miles of warm up but once it is up to temp it shouldn't hurt you so bad to drop you down in the mid thirties.

PS:: As a former resident of Rapid City where are you at in SD?

Last edited by gilbertguy; 03-06-2013 at 10:27 PM.
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowvail View Post
I do live in the cold Midwest, but I let my car warm up before driving and don't floor it like I used to get up to speed.

One day I did get 44.4mpg when it was 34 degrees outside. Lately though it has been in the 20's for temp. But should that make the much of a difference?

Any advice on how to get it 40...or more? I have read people getting over 50 which I would love to get one day.
Idling (while the car is warming up) is hurting your MPG average. Can you park in a garage overnight? Can you run an extension cord and install a block heater? If not, just let the engine idle for a couple of minutes, then drive it easy until it totally warms up. It takes a little while to sort out the most efficient driving method. And the cold spell can definitely account for 10% or more of MPG loss. Don't worry, your summer numbers will be in the 40s.

Insight T-Shirts 4Sale: PM Me.
Monte Carlo Blue 01 5spd w/CRZ seats
CDN Aquamarine Blue 01 DDSOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Silver 01 5spd #0160 Sold to fellow Insight owner
Citrus #1159 Sold to Insight Fan
Red '00 A/C project SOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Citrus #2083
Sold to a fellow Insight owner.
Red '01 A/C parts car.
freezin4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

The mileage is about 23,540. The battery is mainly at 75% or more. Injector cleaner? Is that something specific for Hybrids? Do I pour it in with the gas in the gas tank? I'll check the filter tomorrow. Thanks.

I'm driving between 63-67mph on interstate. Then city 35-45mph.

That's what I was thinking. It's really low for driving nicely. I get all the leafs to light up. But not the dots or second leaf petals.

Good ol' Sioux Falls.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm driving between 63-67mph on interstate.
Try driving at 50 - 55 mph. You will definitely be at least in the 40 mpgs.

Insight T-Shirts 4Sale: PM Me.
Monte Carlo Blue 01 5spd w/CRZ seats
CDN Aquamarine Blue 01 DDSOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Silver 01 5spd #0160 Sold to fellow Insight owner
Citrus #1159 Sold to Insight Fan
Red '00 A/C project SOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Citrus #2083
Sold to a fellow Insight owner.
Red '01 A/C parts car.

Last edited by freezin4; 03-06-2013 at 11:05 PM. Reason: mph / mpg
freezin4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

I wish we had a garage! How nice would that be living in South Dakota. But we rent and landlord doesn't want to build one. I haven't thought of the block heater. How does that work? Is it keeping the battery warm or the engine? I thought I had to run it before driving for the engine to warm up. Thanks Freezin4, I'll see what spring and summer bring. Hoping for 40s like the car is advertised.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Won't that piss people off? If the speed limit is 65 and I'm going 50-55? If it makes for better mpg then screw them, right?
Old 03-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
The mileage is about 23,540. The battery is mainly at 75% or more. Injector cleaner? Is that something specific for Hybrids? Do I pour it in with the gas in the gas tank? I'll check the filter tomorrow. Thanks.

I'm driving between 63-67mph on interstate. Then city 35-45mph.

That's what I was thinking. It's really low for driving nicely. I get all the leafs to light up. But not the dots or second leaf petals.

Good ol' Sioux Falls.
A lot of it is also driving style. 60 is probably the fastest speed you can go and have a good fuel economy. When driving you want to stay at a consistent speed as much as possible. You really want to plan your stopping and moving as much as you can and capitalize on the regenerative brakes by putting very light pressure on the brake pedal for longer distance to slow down and stop. When accelerating you want to accelerate slowly hopefully with very little traffic because honestly most people are hotheads these days. I get passed a lot even in the city. From my experience with the car the only thing really setting it aside from most other cars that are well maintained is that when driven for economy the insight can get much better mileage. When driven like any other car it gets about the same mileage as other cars.
tdiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in