MPG Question - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default MPG Question

I bought a 2010 Insight used, in September, with about 33,000 miles on the odometer. I actually have 2 questions.
First, since getting the car I have driven a total of 5,133.3 miles and purchased 138.689 gallons of fuel. My mileage based upon that is 37.01303 miles per gallon. However, the information computer in the car that continually shows MPG NEVER goes below 41 mpg. My question is how does the computer calculate mpg and should it be more accurate.

Second, I have always changed oil in every other car I have owned (since 1956 BTW) every 5,000 miles. However, again the computer in teh car says my oil at present is at 50%. Should I believe the car's computer or go by my past expewrience?
bb37221 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

1. If you just filled up, and you have at least 10.6 Gal in the tank, and assuming you can drive 41 mpg on each gallon, then you can add 434.6 miles to the 5,133.3 miles you already traveled. This equals: 5567.9 miles. Divide by total gallons purchased (138.689 Gallons) and you get 41.67 MPGs.

2. If you are using 2013 oil, believe the computer. If you are using up stockpiles of 1956 cans, I would go with the 5000 mile interval. New oils are that much better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Insight T-Shirts 4Sale: PM Me.
Monte Carlo Blue 01 5spd w/CRZ seats
CDN Aquamarine Blue 01 DDSOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Silver 01 5spd #0160 Sold to fellow Insight owner
Citrus #1159 Sold to Insight Fan
Red '00 A/C project SOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Citrus #2083
Sold to a fellow Insight owner.
Red '01 A/C parts car.

Last edited by freezin4; 04-30-2013 at 05:16 PM. Reason: typo
freezin4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default More info

Thanks for the reply. Regarding the first question about mpg. The miles and gallons I mentioned were recorded over the time I owned the Insight. If I wait to get fuel after the low-fuel light comes on the first time I drove 357.3 miles and the car took 9.261 gallons for a 38.58115 avg mpg. The 2nd time I drove until low fuel light I drove 375.1 miles and used 9.368 gallons for 40.04056 mpg. The 2nd occasion was all highway driving (from Nashville to Chicago) while the first was no highway driving only around Nashville. My question, however, involves the MPG figure that is shown on the car's info computer. This indicator NEVER goes below 40 mpg and is usually in the 41-42 mpg range, but when I divide the replaced fuel into the miles driven the "actual" mpg never matches the number on the car's computer. Any explanation for the discrepancy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Well, the computer is off by 2-3 mpg. If you got different tire sizes this will further cause a problem with those numbers.

When you reset your mpg readout after a fill up, start the car and let it idle it doesnt read 0 and start to buildas you drive?

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default MPG Question reply

Thanks for the reply. I have the car set so the A reading reverts to 0 when I get fuel. I manually reset the B to zero also after I put in the fuel, before leaving the gas station. It does start out very low as I usually get fuel at the end of the day less than a mile from my house and normally go right from the station home. The next day, when I start out, the first 1/2 mile I drive is a slight uphill grade which is followed by a 1.5 mile down hill run. By the end of the downhill run, the MPG is always around 45 mpg. Over the next 15 or so days before I again get fuel, the MPG will drop to around 41.2 - 41.5 but never below 40. Like I said originally, the actual mpg on the recent tank was 38.509 and the overall mpg since I first got the Insight in Sept is 37.013 (5133.3 miles using 138.689 gallons)
The tires are the original size and are kept at 41 lbs of pressure.
I was curious why there was always a discrepancy between the Info MPG and the actual MPG. Perhaps the 2-3 gap explains it.
Thanks again.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

The MPG info readout is to help you learn to drive more efficiently. A teaching tool really. It is not and cannot be absolutely accurate. Doing the division problem, when filling up is the only real way to know actual MPG. I would be more inclined to take the MPG numbers from each fill up and average them than to try and use total miles and total gallons. So many things effect MPG. Like the fuel you use. Honda recommends top tier fuel, but Insight owners tend to be cheapskates who buy the cheapest fuel they can find.

If your Insight now has about 38k on it, have you done any of the following:
Replaced the CVT fluid?
Replaced the engine (and cabin) filters?
Had the software updated? (see thread on that)
Replaced the tires? (I bet they are shot if original)

Indeed, buy the best 0w20 engine oil you can and then go by the MID. As has been said, it's not 1956 anymore. Honda Civics, before the oil life meters were introduced had a 10,000 mile oil change interval. I think you will find the MID getting down to 10% somewhere between 8,000 & 10,000. Depending entirely on how the car is actually driven. The computer keeps track of things like: How many starts, how many cold starts, miles driven between starts. This is not only what is measured, but certainly things like that have a big effect on oil life.
And when you do replace the CVT fluid, only use genuine Honda fluid. Changing trans fluid is easier than changing the oil in these things. If this is your first Honda, I can tell you that frequent trans fluid changes are normal. Many of us replace it more often than the MID will say to.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info...You;ve been a big help
Old 05-01-2013, 04:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
eq1

What's an 'oil life meter', what computer in the car tells you something about the oil's condition? I've never heard of that...
Old 05-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

See page 89 of the Insight Owners Manual regarding the MID
This shows the remaining engine oil
life. It shows 100% after the engine
oil is replaced and the display is reset.
The engine oil life is calculated
based on engine operating conditions.
For more information, see page 337 .
Old 05-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Enter "engine oil life indicator" into your favorite search engine and do some reading.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in