Little tricks for mpg - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Little tricks for mpg

Looking around on here and considering my mpg for the first couple weeks of owning this car, I'm noticing I'm getting generally close but not quite the mpg that people on this forum are achieving. My all around average has been 48, lots of stop lights and stop and go involved in that. I've noticed the constant stopping and going at lights, in traffic, etc... will take a great 53mpg run and quickly drop it into the 40s. Other than just accelerating slow and using cruise, what more do you do to increase mileage? Those are U.S. mileages in a 2010 insigt
wex101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 01:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

You can try changing your driving some and some eco mods like fully inflating your tires, blocking part of your grill or even change your route.

Best fuel economy is a steady 45 mph. I have like 16 stop lights to go through at times and its fun to meet up with the guy who peels off the stop from the previous light. I find if I go 45 in the 55 zone I can coast through all the lights, but if i go the speed limit I hit every light.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 02:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

I always try to drive the car how it was built to be driven.. Lots of coasting, re-gen breaking and "driving like a puss" as i am told. I can hit 60 mpg while doing 60-65 mph on the highway (carpool) lane.. 50-55 is pretty typical for me but I do a lot of city driving and really utilize the tools that the car has to achieve optimum MPG. I like the displacement of the cars energy screen so you know exactly when you are using the battery, I also try to utilize the battery only by lightly pressing on the gas while or after coasting to get the car to drive by battery only while the car is in motion. I utilize that whenever I can because thats free energy from the re-gen. I have had my Insight on battery only going for speeds of over 50mph, but not for a great distance, but even if its for a 1\4-1\2 mile its clean recycled energy. I know I am not alone to say that I get better than whats advertised at 42\44.. I get that in the winter, thats about the only time tho. Use the ECON, coast and try to coast at times letting the cars re-gen slow you down, dont punch it because we all know the insight will just get loud, seem angry and it doesnt have the pull so its just wasting gas.
Cousin Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in