Is the mpg shown on the gauge accurate? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is the mpg shown on the gauge accurate?

Hey guys, I have an Insight 2011 and am pretty happy with it.

So I noticed this for the first time. I typically reset the "B" odometer every time I fill up the gas tank. So currently, I have driven 390 miles and my mileage shows up as 47.6. However, my low fuel light came on. From what I understand, when that light turns on, I have 1.8 gallons left. So it means that I used up around 8.8 gallons to drive 390 miles, which gives me a mileage of 44. so what gives? which one is correct?

Has anyone else seen this behaviour?
dinesh75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

The fuel economy displayed on the MID above the steering wheel is usually optimistic by about 2 mpg. Thus, when the MID reads around 47 mpg, then you are likely getting around 45mpg.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

When you fill the tank and zero out the trip meter, do the division problem:
miles divided by gallons equals MPG. That is the real MPG. The MID is just a guess and as twulz says, about 2 MPG optimistic.

Many folks use an app called Fuelly and just enter the figures in their smartphones when refueling.

https://www.fuelly.com/

My wife has a little book she writes this info in.

I always print the receipt and write down the trip mileage and MPG from my calculator. I also try to write down the total miles on odometer as this helps me figure the miles driven if I forget to zero out the trip meter.

Both my wife and I take mileage deductions on our schedule C tax forms so having some details about business use makes taking the time to write things down worth it.

There is a way to program the MID to zero out the trip meter whenever you refuel. See your manual.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2014, 03:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

My last two tanks:

Indicated- 68.6 imp mpg
Actual- 64.66

Indicated- 67.4
Actual- 61.5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dmt257 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

The fuel gauge/readout is definitely optimistic (between 1 to 2 mpg) but that is by design. Gasoline standards are all over the map and the readout uses an average based on how the car is driven.(not taking into account how the gas is formulated for example: 10%ethanol fuel will also lower your mpg or some states require a specific additive and so on)
longdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

When the pump says 8.8 gallons, that is what you pay for. True.

But did you really get 8.7 gallons? Was the hose full when you started?

Did you fill the tank a little less last time and squeeze a bit more in this time?

400 miles / 8.8 = 45 mpg or 400 / 8.7 = 46 mpg.

I agree with the E10 getting less mpg too.
BackStreet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2014, 10:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have found if using the same pump when filling up the MID is considered accurate IMO.

As the above comment there are multiple variables that play part when filling up. temperature, car angle, weight distribution, fuel hose having fuel in the line, etc, etc. bottom line it's near impossible to replicate the fuel filling of the previous tank unless you physically remove the fuel tank and measure/weigh the gas you put in each time. So I am sure there is always a margin of error...

I have found with my particular car the range is ~1.5mpg in the +/-. I've had a few that calculated out a little less and a few that calculated a little higher then the MID display.
Bigtipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 03:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Well, my latest tank was an indicated 70.5 imperial mpg. In reality, once I did the calculations, it was 64.1 imp mpg.

Same pump and approx time of day too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

MID on my Insight can vary a bit. I've seen mostly 2.0 mpgs of optimism, but latest tank was just about 0.7 mpg off.
Foresight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm going to use a different brand of fuel and see if that makes any difference.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in