2012 and up Engine Covers - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2012 and up Engine Covers

Does anyone know enough about the differences in the new underbelly engine cover to decide whether it's worth upgrading from the 2010 cover?

The 2010 and 2012 model numbers are different. The 2010 underbelly engine cover part # is 74111-TM8-A00, while the 2012 underbelly engine cover part # is 74111-TM8-A10. These numbers are from bernardi parts. I suppose I will go to a dealer this week and look at the newer models to check out the underbelly updates.

Last edited by twulz; 09-03-2013 at 11:09 PM.
twulz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

I am also considering buying the air diffusers for the rear bumper. These are included on 2012 and up models. They are only about $12 a piece. I figure I can drill my own holes and mount them with nuts bolts and washers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

first honda did it, claimed 5mpg. Im interested in the rear thing. You got a part number for it?

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Attachment 6474

Last edited by twulz; 09-19-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

I hope you could see the part numbers in the crappy picture uploaded from my iPhone. I just placed an order for the new engine cover & both the left and right air splitters. I will post some 2010/2012 cover comparison pictures. Also, I will try to post some installation pics when attaching the air splitters. I plan on measuring the placement of the air splitters by examining a newer Insight at the dealer.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Congratulations on figuring out a way to post content from Bernardi. I can never link to a page. I guess a screen capture of your shopping cart works. I could read it anyway.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Heh thanks. It's the best I could do on my phone. Cobb could you post a link to firsthonda's description of the cover he used?

Old 09-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

My bad, he never did it, must of been thinking of mpg per lowering springs.

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...10-2011-a.html

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2013, 01:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

No worries, thanks for posting that! I will let you know when I get back my belly pan. It is on back order til the 16th. I will take some pictures and such

Old 09-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Here are some pictures of the new engine belly cover versus the older cover. Basically, the newer model does not have a scooped out belly. The result is an overall smoother under belly. Whether it is worth ~$40, I doubt it. But oh well I will report on any fuel economy changes. Honda reports a 2% increase in mpg from the new belly, the rear bumper air splitters, and other body mods on the 2012 and 2013 models.

The 'scooped out' area is closer to the front of the car. After seeing the newly designed engine cover, it seems like Honda's engineers finally took a class over Bernoulli's equation and aerodynamics. Heh what a simple change.

Last edited by twulz; 06-05-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in