does anyone come close to the official uk figures - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Smile does anyone come close to the official uk figures

Ok I know the rolliing road test can never replicate real road driving but no matter how carefully I drive my 2010 insigt (low mileage) I have never succeeded in getting more than 48.9 mpg -dont get me wrong that is good for a car of its size but so far of the government figures as to make them meaningless - if I recall it mentions up to 62mpg - has anyone ever achieved that off a rolling road?
gbswales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Wink mpg

Hi I have just joined the forum and have a uk insight with 30k on the clock which I have owned for 3 weeks.
I have studied the forum pumped extra air in my tires and modified how I drive to ensure I get decent fuel economy which is why I bought the vehicle.
my office is in northwich and I live in leeds so it about 170 mile round trip. I go there 3 days a week so most of my driving is on the very busy m62.
I do not use air con, drive with one window partially down and try to keep the speed ( if traffic will allow) between 55 to 68mph.
I base my fuel economy on what I put in the tank rather than the onboard computer.
so after nearly 1500 miles and am delighted with the economy I am getting which is based on the above just over 62mpg my previous car registered 34 over a 12 month period.
the car is a 2010 year model. I am pleased with all aspects of the car , I don't find it overly noisy or ride badly it thourogly competent all round vehicle.
In the Uk at least were it seems its pretty much the forgotten hybrid it sells for about 5k less than the same year milage prius so overall it does what it says on the can!
wiggok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default intersting

I do use the air con though on automatic and economy so it hasnt had to work too hard. I guess it is a trade off maybe where a car has air con the official figures should be calculated with it on. I havent had air con before so how much difference does it make - I would have thought the extra drag of an open window would have much the same effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default mpg

I guess you are right about aircon vs window open, other than that can not comment on my real world mpg and yours?
wiggok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think it is probably trip difference I have only done one run that was more than 50 miles so the rest i county lane driving. Also I havent checked the actual mpg yet so may get a pleasant surprise - the fuel tank seems to be taking its time emptying!
Old 09-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

It depends on the journey duration and if the engine is cold for me. My daily commute is only 3 miles in reasonable traffic conditions. In this pattern the last 3500 miles give an average of 51.4 mpg (all summer). On a similar run with the engine warm, I'm easily hitting 65+ with some coasting and slightly inflated tyres.

Winter, I can easily drop 5-7 mpg average as I like to be warm and see where I'm going in the morning! I also run stock pressures during the winter to give better grip, just incase.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
JamesK-insight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

I shall see what filling the tank brings but if the dashboard guide is close to reliable then I haven't managed to get it to 50 with engine warm on a long run. I have been driving carefully keeping the speedo light green as much as possible - though I did cruise at 70 on the motorway.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

My best tank was 61 on the MID, 57 calculated from fill ups. I estimate that the MID is actually more accurate because (according to my own comparison against GPS) the speedometer and oedometer underread by about 4-6%. I get an average 8% discrepancy between MID and calculated fuel consumption.

Typically though I get high 40s or low 50s mpg per tank for a 9 mile each way hilly commute and a few other journeys. I have MID trip B keeping track of my lifetime fuel consumption. In about 18000 miles over 2 years I've got 50.4 mpg according to the MID or 46.8 according to calculations from fuel receipts.

The main things that kill mpg are short journeys from cold starts, then crawling traffic, hills and high cruising speeds.

Edit: I do drive at 70mph (73 on the speedo equates to 70 gps for my car) on the motorways but for best fuel consumption I've sometimes allowed some speed to gradually bleed off up hills (keeping speedo turqoise). I take the speed of HGVs as a safe minimum - usually an indicated 60mph. Then build up speed again on the flat or downhill.

I almost never run in eco mode except with cruise control. Only use cruise control on the flat or downhill.

Accelerating in the green is less than optimal most of the time. Aim to get up to speed in at least turqoise but not exceeding 3k rpm.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by Uriel; 09-06-2013 at 05:33 AM.
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

My best tank was 66 real mpg (i suspect a problem with the pump there) but the last 5 tanks were around or slightly above 60 mpg. See my fuel log.

Have to say, I do drive very moderately. Mostly motorways following the semis at 85 - 90 km/h (55 mph). At sea level, it happens to be quite flat around here.
A trip to Germany's mountains revealed that although fighting the grades is generally bad for FE, the altitude helps greatly. I got my best economy until then.

I almost always keep it in eco mode and I do use CC when I can.

I also reset my B counter at every cold start and compare the FE to my target consumption of 3.8 l/100 km.
If the MID says 6.0 l/100 km at 5 km into the trip I know I'm (6.0 - 3.8 ) l * 5 / 100 = 110 CC over my target.
At 10km it says 4.7 so that's just 90 CC over. Continuing on I see the number dwindle and hopefully get below zero, if conditions are good.
I'm trying to work out how to factor speed and ambient temp into the equasion to get a better understanding of how well I'm doing.

There is a penalty for accelerating fast; sorry to say but what I see is that for best economy you have to keep the RPM as low as you can live with.
I do accelerate fast occasionally - negotiating a busy T junction - but it carries a 10 to 20 CC penalty compared to a gentle 1500 RPM acceleration.
When nobody is around and the engine is warm I keep RPM at the absolute minimum - 1100 RPM below 55 KM/h, from there it rises in conjunction with the speed) and see my trip l/100 km reading drop even while accelerating.

Already have 910 km on this tank, projected remaining range is 0 km for the last 30 km or so. Fuel warning went on yesterday morning at roughly 830 km into the tank. I should be able to do another 50 km on this tank, but won't try. Not this time. Not yet.

Last edited by RedDevil; 09-15-2013 at 04:37 AM.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
My best tank was 66 real mpg (i suspect a problem with the pump there) but the last 5 tanks were around or slightly above 60 mpg. See my fuel log.
You're talking US MPG (according to your fuel log). UK (Imperial) Gallons are about 20% bigger so that puts you in the 70s!

Just wondering what speed limits are like in the Netherlands? The only times I see individual journeys hitting 70mpg (UK) involve rural roads with 30-50mph limits in fairly flat areas. At 70mph peaks, letting speed drop for terrain, seems to be my last chance to hit 60 mpg. I tend to keep up with traffic enough to avoid being an inconvenience to other drivers, even when aiming for fuel economy.

Edit: Also wondering about the 22 mile commute. Is that one way or both?

Last edited by Uriel; 09-06-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in