1 Year of Ownership / Real World MPG = 46.5 US - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2014, 07:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1 Year of Ownership / Real World MPG = 46.5 US

Just a note on MPG--

Have owned my 2010 Insight EX for exactly one year and driven it 15,058 miles. In that time / over that distance I've fueled it up 41 times, averaging 46.5 MPG (US) overall.

It's used primarily for a daily commute of ~ 25 miles each way over a mix of suburban, heavy commercial, freeway, and local rural roads, mostly at 45-55 MPH; it's a fairly hilly route with some short steep grades and a couple of long grades and +/- elevation changes of ~ 500 ft.

On multi-lane roads I generally stick right to the speed limit and let the traffic pass; on 2-lane roads if there's anyone behind me I generally do 5MPH over the limit to avoid being shot. I use cruise control with Eco mode off to keep a steady speed, so I'm sure my average MPG could be a bit higher if I used Eco and varied my speed to match terrain.

Still very happy with my Insight, and sad to see the model discontinued. I'm hoping it means Honda's ready to introduce the FCX...
rallison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Npt bad. Do you have any eco modifications like a grill block, increased air pressure in your tires, etc?

With eco off I was never able to exceed 47 mpg in my model.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks--no mods at all, not even increased PSI. Just learned to drive steady and find the spots on my commute that are best suited to coasting/light foot-work.

I'll probably look at rigging up a half-decent looking grill block for next winter, and use the tips I just found in another recent thread (idle in 'N' rather than 'D' when waiting for the engine to get up to temp, etc.) to try to cut down on loss of MPG in sub-freezing temps--a cold engine has been the biggest tank-killer for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
vote 4 mawah

I had the dealer install an engine block heater I bought two years ago 06 civic Engine Block Heater
I also stuffed the upper grille with 3/4" pipe isolation and got about 5 mpg more last winter. But the commute is only about
7 miles which barely gives the car enough time to warm up much less add to the average mpg.

Next year I'm planning to add insulation in the trunk and a heater plus a heater in the back seat in an attempt to keep the pack warm.
Since the engine block heater only heats the coolant I'm also looking into a oil pan heater.
I want to wire them all up to one plug and mount it something like the plugins use.

It will be interesting to see how efficient I can make all those heater work together. Hopefully, I'll be able to switch on the heaters an hour or two before
I go, than just start it up and drive. I probably wouldn't get it all setup by next winter, but that is what I'm working towards.

Last edited by WillS; 03-09-2014 at 09:52 AM.
WillS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Id like to get 2 dip stick heaters, one for the engine, one for the cvt. Then get a battery charger/maintainer. Precharging the starter battery helps for short trips under 10 miles.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
vote 4 mawah

as long as theres space in the fluid for the sticks without getting in the way of any moving parts
I'm still not sure I can drop a stick heater into the oil pan safely.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Pretty good MPG.. I think I'm like one of the worst Insight drivers lol, only averaging around 38-40 MPG after 3+ years on that car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~2010 Honda Insight LX Atomic Blue - 2010-04-25~
~1,000 miles - 2010-07-13~
~10,000 miles - 2011-09-05~
~20,000 miles - 2012-05-22~
~30,000 miles - 2013-03-09~
~40,000 miles - 2013-09-14~
~50,000 miles - 2014-03-20~
~60,000 miles - 2014-08-28~
runtohel121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 03:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by runtohel121 View Post
Pretty good MPG.. I think I'm like one of the worst Insight drivers lol, only averaging around 38-40 MPG after 3+ years on that car.
47 mpgUK lifetime for me and there's 1.2 UK gallons to a US one. Puts me about the same. I put it down to relatively short average journeys an being in a hilly area.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just for fun -- a pic of my best calculated (partial tank) mileage.

I love it when I can basically coast the 3 miles downhill from the gas station where i filled up just to see that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 199.9.jpg (82.1 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by rallison; 03-21-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Cool

YAY, its in ENGLISH too. I suck at dividing bars by kilowatts per a liter or what ever the "other" unit of fuel economy measurement is.

Interesting it goes to 199 as some insights only go to 150. I think mines only goes to 150. Wonder if we went the same stretch plus a mile or 2 if in the end we achieve the same mpg? IE does the car track more than what it can display?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in