Good highway speed for best mpg? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Good highway speed for best mpg?

Taking a 17-18 hour trip down to Florida, all highway. What would be a good speed to average, not going too slow to piss people off and not too fast as the MPG will drop drastically? I'm thinking 65 might be okay, but is there much of a difference between 65 and 70? Going 70 will save me over an hour. I've tried testing on the highway for a few 9 mile stretches, but it must not be long enough to average out, as both 65-70 showed the same mpg. Anyone have any info?

-Mike
SlowSL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

for the last three years i've done 1-2 round trip drives per year from TX to NY ... i put cruise control on at 70mph and pass at 75mph ... trouble free

2011 Insight LX - 78k miles
jcbesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSL View Post
Taking a 17-18 hour trip down to Florida, all highway. What would be a good speed to average, not going too slow to piss people off and not too fast as the MPG will drop drastically? I'm thinking 65 might be okay, but is there much of a difference between 65 and 70? Going 70 will save me over an hour. I've tried testing on the highway for a few 9 mile stretches, but it must not be long enough to average out, as both 65-70 showed the same mpg. Anyone have any info?

-Mike
What kind of car are you driving? A hummer or a G1 Insight?

Basically, the slower the better. But I usually drive the speed limit so there shouldn't be too much problem with people complaining.

http://forkenswift.com/album/24-grap...pg-insight.jpg

1963 Lotus 7 replica, 12 mpg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1962 Henny Kilowatt, 40 miles/charge @ 40 mph

My website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Hack your OBDIIc&c
* Cool the IMA battery
* DIY Fix rear motor mount
* DIY Grid charger/discharger build instructions etc
* My grid charger/discharger thread on the forum
olrowdy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrowdy01 View Post
What kind of car are you driving? A hummer or a G1 Insight?

Basically, the slower the better. But I usually drive the speed limit so there shouldn't be too much problem with people complaining.

http://forkenswift.com/album/24-grap...pg-insight.jpg

That chart is exactly the info I'm looking for! any chance someone made one for the G2?
Old 04-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
That chart is exactly the info I'm looking for! any chance someone made one for the G2?
Ah so, you arn't driving a hummer.

You might want to add a little info about your car because when you use "New Posts" on this site you don't know where the post was originally posted but we can look at the signature lines and see what info people put there.

Anyway:
I just did a goggle image search for "gas mileage vs speed insight" and found a lot of images including that graph (which I knew was on the web somewhere). Try the same search but add the year of your car.

Have fun on your trip.

My website

* Hack your OBDIIc&c
* Cool the IMA battery
Old 04-02-2014, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrowdy01 View Post
Ah so, you arn't driving a hummer.

You might want to add a little info about your car because when you use "New Posts" on this site you don't know where the post was originally posted but we can look at the signature lines and see what info people put there.

Anyway:
I just did a goggle image search for "gas mileage vs speed insight" and found a lot of images including that graph (which I knew was on the web somewhere). Try the same search but add the year of your car.

Have fun on your trip.
Ooops, didn't know that, will put car info next time. You couldn't pay me to drive a Hummer at 10mpg, lol. Our other vehicle is a GMC Envoy which is probably pretty close to a hummer's MPG, but mainly only driven when we need to pull a trailer or haul something large. Looks like it would cost roughly $550-600 round trip, yikes. Should be about $160-200 with the Insight. It still puts a smile on my face when I fill the the car up and see it was only $28.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
It still puts a smile on my face when I fill the the car up and see it was only $28.
There's a stretch of 6 lane road here where you go about 1 mile between stop lights. At the first light a souped up new Corvette pulled up alongside of me and when the light turned green he took off in a cloud of exhaust.

I pulled up along side of him at the next light and his car sounded great with a race cam at a fast idle. I checked my dash to make sure my car was in autostop and suddenly the thought occurred to me that he is probably using more fuel at this stop light than it took me to get here from the last stop light!

My website

* Hack your OBDIIc&c
* Cool the IMA battery
Old 04-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

http://forkenswift.com/album/7-cr-orig-mpg.gif

this was from an old CR article

the figures are from a 2010 model

2011 Insight LX - 78k miles

Last edited by jcbesq; 04-02-2014 at 05:30 PM.
jcbesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

I drove our Insight from Raleigh, NC where we bought it to our house near Portland, Maine 99% on Interstates and Turnpikes at posted speed limits and the silly car averaged 50 mpg for the trip. It isn't even broken in yet! Plus, during the trip, the car went from 72 degrees when we started to 12 degrees when we arrived home. Polar Vortex weather.

Around 65 mph the Insight was indicating 49 to 50 mpg for the most part... at 70 to 75 it would dip to 46 to 48 or so. Closer to 60 mph it went up and seemed to stay 50 to 55 mpg at steady state cruise control driving.

Something that few people think about... and I'll share. Our hybrids get great mpg, so you can cheat by actually going a tad slower than the speed limit and still save even more trip time! Just stay in the right lane when you do that.

As gas prices climb, I've noticed that a lot of drivers slow up some on the Interstates. You'll have plenty of company and usually the speed is 62 to 65 or so. And be assured that you'll see some of the faster traffic passing you more than once during the trip, mostly because they are burning a lot more fuel and have to stop a lot more often.

By extending the driving time, since you're not stopping for fuel as often, you save time. When you do stop for fuel, make that stop count, fuel, food, pit stop and a quick stretch! The stretch is important.

If you go faster than posted speed limit, you will end up stopping for fuel more often. Those stops really eat up time, since you have to slow down when you exit the interstate, find a place go gas up... that's when you spend a while at zero miles per hour during the actual stop, and then you have the slow drive back to the interstate.

Your car has the capability of traveling about 500 miles on a tank of gas. The average car on that same highway usually has to stop more often. Time advantage... Insight!

Steady speed, well inflated tires, and take only what you really need for the trip, to save as much weight as possible.

Do let us know how you do on this trip. Here's hoping you get a good tail wind on both legs of your drive!
Foresight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Cool

For mpg Id say 55. For time vs being a road hazzard at least 70. Since you are likely to go from gas station to gas station you are going to average higher mpg than with mix city/highway. Id suggest trying to avoid use of the ac as that can eat into your mpg. Also block your lower grill for more aero.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in