surprising Insight economy - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default surprising Insight economy

I have recently purchased a low mileage Insight and to be quite honest I am very surprised about its fuel economy. I had previously driven our 2007 prius generation2 for a year and managed to average 56.2 mpg imperial, 46.8mpg US.
Prior to the prius , I drove our Lexus CT200 and averaged 62mpg imperial, 51.8 mpg US. My wife still drives the Lexus and through travelling totally different routes, journey durations and speed restrictions has reduced the overall average to 59.9mpg imperial, 49.9mpg US. I have covered 1600 miles in the Insight and have achieved 59.2mpg imperial, 49.3mpgUS. Our climate is getting warmer and so the fuel economy is also improving still more.
I am surprised that the insight is returning better figures than the prius. I can only assume that my driving style suits the Insight technology better than the prius technology( which the journalistic propaganda would have us believe is far superior to the Honda). I would hasten to point out that I totally disregard the on board computers on all my vehicles since they are all as wildly optimistic as the speedometers! Instead, I monitor fuel usage on fuelly from tankful to tankful.
I originally purchased the Insight because in UK one gets a lot more car for the money than when Prius shopping. For the same money I bought the 18000 mile 2010 white Insight ES, I could only have bought a 2010 Prius base model T3 with 38000 miles. The cheapest white prius with a similar mileage as my Insight would have cost me over 50% more money ( which in my case represents the cost of insuring,maintaining and fueling the Honda for two years!).
As it turns out, the insight seems to get off the starting blocks ( 0 to 20mph) much quicker than either the prius or the Lexus and makes a lot more sense economically too. It uses less fuel that our old prius but uses about 5% more than I could achieve with the lexus. The insight keeps more money in my pocket....lets hope it stays reliable.
wass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Welcome aboard. Yes, the insight is a different design, its actually better for highway vs city. City driving with lots of stop n go was what the prius was made for.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2014, 03:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Nice to see someone nearly achieving the official figures on UK roads. What are your typical journeys like and how fast do you tend to drive?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2014, 06:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
Nice to see someone nearly achieving the official figures on UK roads. What are your typical journeys like and how fast do you tend to drive?

My typical journey is a 38 mile commute across country single carriageway "A" roads with a few hills and hollows interspersed with villages where the police speed detector vans sit quite close to the news agents and pub. Heavy lorries are restricted to 40mph on these roads and there is very little opportunity to overtake. There are also numerous speed traps since the road is of the type which tends to make one rather impatient to proceed when one can!
Having used a number of vehicles on these roads including various motorcycles, the average speed is 35 mph for a car irrespective of type and engine size and 44mph for a motorcycle (with 0-60mph acceleration time in the realms of 3.4 seconds and in a hurry). So, its just a slow road even during the off peak times which I am accustomed to travel in.
I dont have the air conditioning on and on the cold mornings, I don't switch the heater on until my scan gauge tells me that the engine temperature is 82C( normally about 3 miles or 5 minutes) . I run the tyres (tires in American) at 40-39psi F-R and they are 185/55x16 bridgestone standard fittngs.
wass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 03:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
The insight keeps more money in my pocket....lets hope it stays reliable.
Well, with just a little luck it should do! Honda comes first in almost every reliability study...
Home - Car Reliability Index | Reliability Index | How reliable is your car?
What Car? Reliability Survey 2012 - Introduction - What Car?
Most reliable cars 2013: Honda tops league while Bentley comes last | This is Money
Honda tops UK reliability survey | Autocar

Also, the i2 has never had a safety recall, while the Prius has had more than its fair share, and some very high profile safety problems...
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/reca...1/Apr/2014&tx=

I love my i2 partly because it's the only truly reliable car I've ever had (my current cars include Land Rover, Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Volkswagen and the Honda). If your i2 turns out to be a lemon, that'll be bloomin' bad luck....

Enjoy!
Alfettaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 04:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

I don't think Toyota's recalls are a bad thing at all. It shows that Toyota take a proactive approach to the long term safety and reliability of their vehicles. They also issue a press release with every recall, where as most manufacturers keep it pretty quiet.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wass View Post
I have recently purchased a low mileage Insight and to be quite honest I am very surprised about its fuel economy. I had previously driven our 2007 prius generation2 for a year and managed to average 56.2 mpg imperial, 46.8mpg US.
Prior to the prius , I drove our Lexus CT200 and averaged 62mpg imperial, 51.8 mpg US. My wife still drives the Lexus and through travelling totally different routes, journey durations and speed restrictions has reduced the overall average to 59.9mpg imperial, 49.9mpg US. I have covered 1600 miles in the Insight and have achieved 59.2mpg imperial, 49.3mpgUS. Our climate is getting warmer and so the fuel economy is also improving still more.
I am surprised that the insight is returning better figures than the prius. I can only assume that my driving style suits the Insight technology better than the prius technology( which the journalistic propaganda would have us believe is far superior to the Honda). I would hasten to point out that I totally disregard the on board computers on all my vehicles since they are all as wildly optimistic as the speedometers! Instead, I monitor fuel usage on fuelly from tankful to tankful.
I originally purchased the Insight because in UK one gets a lot more car for the money than when Prius shopping. For the same money I bought the 18000 mile 2010 white Insight ES, I could only have bought a 2010 Prius base model T3 with 38000 miles. The cheapest white prius with a similar mileage as my Insight would have cost me over 50% more money ( which in my case represents the cost of insuring,maintaining and fueling the Honda for two years!).
As it turns out, the insight seems to get off the starting blocks ( 0 to 20mph) much quicker than either the prius or the Lexus and makes a lot more sense economically too. It uses less fuel that our old prius but uses about 5% more than I could achieve with the lexus. The insight keeps more money in my pocket....lets hope it stays reliable.
I have to say, I had the same reaction to this little Honda. At less than 2/3rds the price of our Prius, you get a car that still averages excellent MPG. Way more than the U.S. EPA suggests on the car sticker.

Can't find much to gripe about it. I've only had the car a few weeks and really like the way it drives, especially over our Winter damaged roads.

We haven't really warmed up that significantly yet, other than a couple of days with teaser warmth. This morning it was 19F (-7C) and we only warmed to 40 (4C) today. It was colder yesterday, so still waiting for those nicer days. Still, the Insight keeps churning out excellent mileage figures in the upper 40s to around 50 MPG (not Imperial) calculated at fill ups.

Does not match what I heard about this car in the media. Very happy with it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Foresight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2014, 01:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am consistently getting 46-47mpg with a roughly 70% highway/30% city driving pattern. Much better than what I expected and especially nice this spring as gas prices have been steadily climbing.
m5guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wass View Post
My typical journey is a 38 mile commute across country single carriageway "A" roads with a few hills and hollows interspersed with villages where the police speed detector vans sit quite close to the news agents and pub. Heavy lorries are restricted to 40mph on these roads and there is very little opportunity to overtake. There are also numerous speed traps since the road is of the type which tends to make one rather impatient to proceed when one can! ...
OMG! English English from a real Englishman (I presume). Carriageway, hollows, news agent, lorries.... so Dickensesque.
BackStreet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
I don't think Toyota's recalls are a bad thing at all. It shows that Toyota take a proactive approach to the long term safety and reliability of their vehicles. They also issue a press release with every recall, where as most manufacturers keep it pretty quiet.

Well, they have had 8.5 million vehicles recalled after 20-34 deaths and hundreds of accidents due to "sudden acceleration" which they fought and denied for years.

I would not pat them on the back or buy a Toyota.
BackStreet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in