Wind turbulence - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wind turbulence

I have a 2012 LX and drive 120mi highway every day.
on windy days I have a challenge keeping the car in the middle of my lane.
Not sure if it's the steering or just the characteristics of a light car.
just wondering if anyone else has this problem.
FITZPATRICK30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

I experienced this also, but better tires (in my case expensive Michelin Defenders) made a big difference. But just a difference. It is a small light weight car.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

i hear a rear sway bar helps too

as noted above a simple zero plus tire upgrade makes a big diff ... on stock rims u can easily fit 185/65/15 or 195/60/15 sneakers

2011 Insight LX - 78k miles
jcbesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

I believe in raising the tire pressure, I run 40+ PSI now (3.2 atm front, 3.0 atm rear) which markedly reduces wind sensitivity and enhances responsiveness.

When I went back to summer tires a month ago I was amazed how well the car handled, as the garage always brings the pressure back to OEM. I expected the OEM sloppy handling, but it was firm and all.
At home I home I gingerly took the compressor to pump the tires, only to find that this time the garage had not deflated the tires and they still held their high pressure...
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

1. Good tires help directional stability.

2. A good alignment is a must for directional steadiness.

3. Higher pressure in the tires makes the sidewalls a little less wiggly, and that helps, too.

4. Strong gusty crosswinds always trumps all of the above. You'll have to steer and correct the car. Even big cars will be moved around by strong gusty crosswinds.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Foresight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

With too much air in the tires, I find it hard to drive in a straight line because every little unevenness in the road, or gust of crosswind requires small steering adjustments. So I run at a pressure that is just below a pressure that requires that effort at 75 mph. For me that is 39 psi, all around, measured first thing in the morning prior to driving the car (in order to correct for air temperature, or sunlight on the tire which raises the tires' temperature - either of which influences the tire pressure reading by 0.5 to 2 psi.).

Wheel alignment can also be part of it. I replaced OEM tires at around 20k and it was way off. Had it rechecked at around 27k and was off by a small amount. In contrast to my other cars which were almost never out of alignment.
Have the engine operate as little as possible, especially when standing still or moving slowly; while also meeting my demands for power and maneuvering. This means most battery charging while cruising city streets and rural roads, max regen from slowing down and downgrades, and only using heater or A/C when the engine is on for other purposes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Moviemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 12:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Anyone else seeing alignment going off more often than other cars? And if so, why would that tend to happen?
Old 05-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

My car's alignment was extremely good apparently.. Even after I had 48k miles on it, I took it to an alignment shop to get it checked out, told me everything was fine just a little off on one of the wheel. That was my first alignment check since 4 years. But I think my car have some problems on certain roads, feel like the car is wobbling around on some paved roads on the highway.

~2010 Honda Insight LX Atomic Blue - 2010-04-25~
~1,000 miles - 2010-07-13~
~10,000 miles - 2011-09-05~
~20,000 miles - 2012-05-22~
~30,000 miles - 2013-03-09~
~40,000 miles - 2013-09-14~
~50,000 miles - 2014-03-20~
~60,000 miles - 2014-08-28~
runtohel121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by runtohel121 View Post
My car's alignment was extremely good apparently.. Even after I had 48k miles on it, I took it to an alignment shop to get it checked out, told me everything was fine just a little off on one of the wheel. That was my first alignment check since 4 years. But I think my car have some problems on certain roads, feel like the car is wobbling around on some paved roads on the highway.
What tire brand/size do you have on your Insight? And what pressure do you inflate them?

Some roads have permanent troughs in them from heavy truck traffic and will cause tires to act like it's trying to climb out of them or follow the contours. Some tires seem to be more prone to the "wobbling" you mention under these conditions than others.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foresight View Post
What tire brand/size do you have on your Insight? And what pressure do you inflate them?

Some roads have permanent troughs in them from heavy truck traffic and will cause tires to act like it's trying to climb out of them or follow the contours. Some tires seem to be more prone to the "wobbling" you mention under these conditions than others.
MB Seven X Wheels with Yokohoma AVID ASCNED 195/65/15
Around 30-35psi, haven't checked in a month or two. so I'm assuming that range.

~2010 Honda Insight LX Atomic Blue - 2010-04-25~
~1,000 miles - 2010-07-13~
~10,000 miles - 2011-09-05~
~20,000 miles - 2012-05-22~
~30,000 miles - 2013-03-09~
~40,000 miles - 2013-09-14~
~50,000 miles - 2014-03-20~
~60,000 miles - 2014-08-28~
runtohel121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in