My experience to compare Prius and Insight - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2014, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My experience with both 2010 Prius and 2013 Insight

Hi

I have a Prius (2010) and Insight (2013), just filled up the 1st tank for Insight.

With the same driving condition (same driver, same road), I can usually get about 55MPG+ for Prius. I am getting almost the same for Insight.

I realized why some people can't get that good mileage for Insight. Its because the gas paddle for Insight is much responsive than Prius (both in eco mode). You can say that Prius cheat a little bit meaning their gas paddle just doesn't give you the power when you wanted it (no wonder you see so many slow Prius on the road). This sluggish gas paddle responsiveness ends up giving you better mileage easier . When driving Insight, you really need to intentionally watch out how much you press the paddle.

Another reason is Insight's engine is ALWAYS on even you leave the gear to P or N (this burns gas). The only way to shut it off is via break paddle meaning the car is stopped and your foot is on the break paddle. However, Prius shuts down the engine when you car is stopped or starting to stop (no need to press the paddle, doesn't matter in P or N). The engine is on ONLY when you start requesting more power.

At last, driving Insight doesn't make you feel you are driving a Hybrid, and its very obvious for Prius. Just my sharing..

Last edited by blahblah_gc; 05-30-2014 at 01:27 PM.
blahblah_gc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2014, 08:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

I agree with all of your comments. I am sure ,however that these different types of hybrid systems are each suited to different driving conditions. I find that driving our CT200 in a certain manner on some of our slower country roads gets better fuel consumption than the Insight, however, extracting the best from the CT seems to require more concentration. The insight easily outperforms our old 2007 prius on slow country roads but the 2007 prius was better in town.
Those people who have plug in hybrids will each have their own story to tell. Some of them with daily round trips no greater than 30 or so miles will hardly ever use petrol, while those who have sustained high speed journeys will perform differently.
I still maintain that for all cars with automatic gearboxes, diesels are the best for high speeds , long distances. hybrids are good for towns and best at low speed long distances ( over 30 mile round trips) and plug ins are best for urban low speed shorter distances.
Automatic gearbox design seems to be improving year on year. I expect that soon there will be very little to seperate manual gearbox and auto gearbox performance.
I often wonder in this day and age of automatic gearboxes in formula 1 cars whether this technology will pass down to production cars.
wass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 10:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am also very surprised that so few people buying this car. I am getting the same MPG as to Prius (56MPG). You have to drive really slow in Prius though. Insight is definitely more fun to drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Last edited by BackStreet; 06-09-2014 at 10:38 PM.
BackStreet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Old 06-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Last edited by BackStreet; 06-09-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default pictures?

Pictures paint a thousand words Backstreet. but they dont put the words in order. What do your pictures say?
wass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Alright, some updates on my new 2013 Insight, this is the 3rd tank adding, surprisingly its getting 60 MPG, way better than the 2010 Prius. I remember the number on the window was something like 46MPG, was it measured by Toyota?
Old 06-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wass View Post
Pictures paint a thousand words Backstreet. but they dont put the words in order. What do your pictures say?
I like the glasses
I don't like the chunk out of the chair for the seatbelt. I don't like the non-driver aimed controls. I don't like the steering wheel. I don't like, well all.

I like the Insight and assumed I could like the Prius too if need be. I'm not sure now.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2014, 07:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

We tacitly assume it's intuitively obvious to the casual observer and leave it as an exercise to the reader.

Last edited by BackStreet; 06-11-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in