New(er) Insight Driver and Tires - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2014, 11:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New(er) Insight Driver and Tires

Hi everyone,

Nick here and I'm new to the group and just purchased a used 2011 Honda Insight EX (dark metallic gray, no mods, etc) and have been loving it over all. It has come with the OEM Dunlops that I have read on various posts here and online and don't seem to rate so well with most. I am "ok" with them and they serve the purpose for me at this point and were brand new when I bought it. Given our last winter here in the northeast (live in Connecticut) and surprisingly, I did well with the Dunlops. However, come winter, and being a nurse, I will be getting winter tires but that is down the line.

My question is, my tread is still decent on my car and rotate them when recommended, however, I know I will want to get something better in the size that is needed. I currently get decent mpg's - with the warmer weather (60-70 degrees) I average about 44-49mpg depending upon if it's mostly city, highway, hills, or a combination and in the winter it killed at about 36 - 42.

That aside, the most recent postings on tire recs for all/season LRR tires seem to be from a bit back and was wondering what people are recommending with the choices available now. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated and look forward to hearing from everyone and seeing what this group is all about.

Nick
njarsenaut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2014, 11:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

theres pretty quick turnover of tire models so check whats good when u want to buy ... as for sizes, I have an '11 too and I did a 0 plus upgrade to 185/65/15 which fits fine on the stock rims ... if you want to go a little fatter 195/60/15 also fits fine on the stock rims according to other members

2011 Insight LX - 78k miles
jcbesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2014, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hmm, just found this thread, and wondered if any decision on tires was ever made.

Tire Rack's site should be helpful. You can chose the size you want to see in LRR tires, and they list what they have. Can also view +0, +1 and +2 fitments.

My Insight came with Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 185/60 15 tires. Can't say much bad about them so far, with dry and wet performance that's fine. I don't find them too loud, and they do allow very good MPG. My mileage readings have varied from around 50 to 54 mpg measured at the pump this summer using A/C. Driving mostly on rural area roads, and very little city driving. I keep the tires at 40 psi front and 38 rear. Good wear so far.

Unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of LRR tires to chose from in these size ranges. Not that many in other sizes, but the list is growing slowly.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Foresight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in