1 month insight real world MPG ~ 47mpg city, 70 mpg highway - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1 month insight real world MPG ~ 47mpg city, 70 mpg highway

I've just bought my 2012 honda insight (white) about 1 month ago and I'm really liking the excellent mileage. I came to this forum to learn various techniques of hypermiling and adapted my driving technique and achieved this mileage.
1. Removed all excess baggages
2. Switch off aircon when possible (I drive and live in a very hot climate)
3. Cruise control and using the dials to accelerate / decelerate rather than foot pedals whenever safe / possible.
4. Gradual acceleration and deceleration whenever possible
5. Drive within speed limit most of the time
6. ECON mode on
7. Check tire pressure in inflate time higher than recommended specs without increased road noise
8. Foot off acceleratior when going down slope / hill
9. Swtich off aircon at traffic lights (I realise this will prolong the duration of AUTO STOP)

Last edited by aurorasea; 06-21-2014 at 12:29 PM.
aurorasea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorasea View Post
I've just bought my 2012 honda insight (white) about 1 month ago and I'm really liking the excellent mileage. I came to this forum to learn various techniques of hypermiling and adapted my driving technique and achieved this mileage.
3. Cruise control and using the dials to accelerate / decelerate rather than foot pedals whenever safe / possible.
6. ECON mode on
7. Check tire pressure in inflate time higher than recommended specs without increased road noise
9. Swtich off aircon at traffic lights (I realise this will prolong the duration of AUTO STOP)
I just bought a 2010 ex and have been trying to apply these things to my driving. I have not seen numbers like this but congrats!
Old 04-22-2015, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

yeah those Numbers are great I'm at 2506 Miles and Avg 43.7 MPG...no where near 70MPG
UberInsight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2015, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

great mpg!!!!!! was it measured by gallons/miles or on the digital readout?
minis2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

I can't get near those figures, even at 50mph... best Ive got is 67mpg imperial gallons, whats that about 54 mpg US...
2009 Hornet CBF600F-A
2008 SH300 ABS
phb10186 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2015, 11:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

I call BS on those Numbers
UberInsight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2015, 02:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

BS? Maybe.
First of all, Aurorasea, what is your location and what are your driving conditions? Hot, OK, but flat too?
Are those MPGs imperial or not (15% difference...)?

I can get about 49 mpg in city driving and up to 75 mpg on stretches on the highway, on the level, no wind, doing 55 mph following slow lane traffic (at a respectable distance as ever).
Per tank it is 60 mpg (US) tops, doing all the tricks.

If you measure consumption by the MID readout on relatively short stretches you can get pretty much anything, depending on conditions.
One way to get reliable consumption data is by keeping a tank log. After several tanks you'll see improvement and trends.
Here's my tank log: 2011 Honda Insight Elegance Gas Mileage (Red Devil) - EcoModder.com.

As you can see the 60 mpg season is starting right now.
This is mostly a 22 mile (one way) commute, but also some shopping, local errands, family outings etc. The commute is the mpg builder, the rest lowers my overall average by about 3 mpg.

I am sure I can get over 80 mpg on a closed and level circuit, no wind, mild temperature, driving 35 mph on cruise control for hours on end, no (further) mods.
Anything under 80 mpg is plausible under the right conditions.

I do use A/C when I need it; preferably in Auto mode - Auto mode is quite efficient in Eco mode; generally the more you change the settings on the ventilation system the worse that works out for FE.

Last edited by RedDevil; 05-20-2015 at 02:39 PM.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2015, 05:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Na, I can't touch this. England is too hilly, and I would have to take every incline at 80mph to regen down to 50mph, and even then the traffic behind me is coming up at 70mph, meaning I just cant do it, and there are not too many long flat stretches.

If I try hard, setting cruise at 67mph, ill get 60mpg... thats it. If I hypermile, maybe 63mpg. I once got 67 but that was hard... all imperial gallon figs.

My ave urban Mpg is about 40-45 imperial gal.

I have to do the stupid L/100km conversion, and thats comfortable 4.5l/100km - which is fine by me.

Rough conversion: 52mpg US as an absolute upper limit... never more... thats with AC off and feathering the throttle, and just me as a passenger.

I can get about 1.5-2mpg more using high octane 99 RON unleaded, but the price premium as about the mpg gain, so it makes nil difference.

Yaris D4D makes the same figures really.

I want to see photographic evidence of these MPG figures, just a phone snap of the instrument display would be good to post up, then I'll believe what I read.

It boils down to this: if I have to get somewhere on the highway, I'm looking at 58mpg Imperial, 48.5 US, driving at the 70mph UK speed limit. Every 1mph over that is about 1mpg less per 100miles, every 1mph less is about 0.5mpg more I think.

On the plus side my SOC is about 80% after a highway run due to the rolling inclines and declines. What's good is that I live lower than the first 10 miles of highways, so it charges up well on the return leg.

The other thing that I have implemented in my mind is the law of diminishing returns. Going from a car that did 30mpg to one that does 50mpg highway has reduced fuel costs by about 60-70% already, the additional savings from 50mpg to 60mpg are relatively smaller.

Last edited by phb10186; 05-20-2015 at 05:24 PM.
phb10186 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default i think it cam be done, but not average it!

70 mpg, well maybe! i did a trip from new york to philadelphia, in the rain, durring a hurricane, with defrost on, wipers, music and went 65mph and i averaged 54.3 mpg! now if one hypermiles i think one can get maybe 70mpg, i dont think he can average that though!
themadchef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2015, 07:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default i like to see some proof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorasea View Post
6. ECON mode on
i like to see some photographic proof! i have a 2012 insight and the best i got was an average tank of 49.7 mpg, now i have achieved that by 3 tanks now!, also i have tried my best to hyper mile and i have gotton 56.6 mpg for 80 miles! now saying you get 70 mpg, i would assume that is on an average or did you just see those numbers briefly? like riding down a hill for 2 miles?

so please take a picture of your average tanks, they are listed on your trip meter! i like to know how many mpg do you average per tank?
themadchef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in