3rd tank - Steady MPG improvement - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 3rd tank - Steady MPG improvement

Just filled up the 3rd tank of the new Insight this morning and I am seeing good results. Here is what I have so far for 3 full tanks.

1st tank - 36 mpg end result. tire pressure was approx 35 psi (set from dealership). Drove about half Econ mode and half not. AC blasting on low most of the time.

2nd tank - 39 mpg end result. Bumped up tire psi at time of fill up to 40 psi. Drove mostly in Econ mode. Learned how to drive the car for better results. Used less AC but was still comfortable.

3rd tank - 42.75 mpg end result. Bumped up the psi to 45 psi at time of fill up. Drove 95% in Econ mode. Really tried hard to keep the mpg way up. AC use was about the same as the second tank.

My tires are Yokohama avid ascends, and have a max psi of 51. Wondering if I should crank them up a tad more..
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Not bad. Its likely you and the car are learning from each other. A lot of systems on the honda learns as you go. Many cars pick up bad habits being shuttled around the car lot to different spots and the car wash weekly.

Tire psi is just one of several factors for mpg. A low or weak starter battery is the big one. Aftermarket wheels play an even bigger role vs tire selection and psi.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Not bad. Its likely you and the car are learning from each other. A lot of systems on the honda learns as you go. Many cars pick up bad habits being shuttled around the car lot to different spots and the car wash weekly.

Tire psi is just one of several factors for mpg. A low or weak starter battery is the big one. Aftermarket wheels play an even bigger role vs tire selection and psi.
Maybe autozone could tell me if the starter battery is good.
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Try to time the lights from a distance so you never have to stop. Starting from a dead stop kills your MPG, slowly accelerate when and drive with a really light foot.
Daewoo Matiz rear Springs
Fumoto oil drain valve

Add yourself to the Best Mileage Spreadsheet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 07:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertguy View Post
Try to time the lights from a distance so you never have to stop. Starting from a dead stop kills your MPG, slowly accelerate when and drive with a really light foot.
You are so right. Getting back up to speed is a killer..
Old 07-04-2014, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Maybe try changing your route or travel times? I can see a big traffic difference by leaving 5 minutes early than the day before. Thursdays seem to have the heaviest traffic.

Also I tend to take roads with 45 mph speed limits, even if it does go a bit out of the way. I also take routes with right turns and plan 1 trip with multiple stops vs a trip a stop.

If your trips are 7 miles or less, it really hurts your mpg. You may want to consider a full grill block vs a partial. Maybe even removal of the air snorkel to suck warm air in from the engine bay.

Have you checked tires to see how they are wearing? Have you or the car had an alignment recently? Have you rotated tires?

Old 07-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Maybe try changing your route or travel times? I can see a big traffic difference by leaving 5 minutes early than the day before. Thursdays seem to have the heaviest traffic.

Also I tend to take roads with 45 mph speed limits, even if it does go a bit out of the way. I also take routes with right turns and plan 1 trip with multiple stops vs a trip a stop.

If your trips are 7 miles or less, it really hurts your mpg. You may want to consider a full grill block vs a partial. Maybe even removal of the air snorkel to suck warm air in from the engine bay.

Have you checked tires to see how they are wearing? Have you or the car had an alignment recently? Have you rotated tires?

Tires look good and the car seems aligned. I actually do have an alternative rural route home from work that I have been taking. It's roughy 14 miles each way to work. I think my mpg will continue to improve a bit simply from learning to drive the car to its fullest. Since I filled the talk yesterday I have gone about 84 miles and my average says 47.4. Realistically if I retain that, it would probably give me 45 mpg on a fill. Last tank was 42.75. I am learning to be super light on the pedal, coast, anticipate stops, and allow the car to charge. These things I am becoming more and more contious of every time I drive. I believe that if I had a long course road trip, from fill to refill, with little traffic to contend with, I could break 50 mpg or more. Maybe even 55 +. What is your average mpg during the summer?
Johnnymac813 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 12:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Highest with all the eco driving tricks 79. Regular driving about 65mpg. Lowest in winter, 36-43. The past winter I averages 29, but we had a lot of below freezing weather, which is unusual for this area. The frozen stuff on ground doesnt help.

Yup, add more coasting, timing lights is about it. As your tires wear, and fluids near replacement you will see the mpg start to drop.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Highest with all the eco driving tricks 79. Regular driving about 65mpg. Lowest in winter, 36-43. The past winter I averages 29, but we had a lot of below freezing weather, which is unusual for this area. The frozen stuff on ground doesnt help.

Yup, add more coasting, timing lights is about it. As your tires wear, and fluids near replacement you will see the mpg start to drop.
Were those two numbers on long trips? What's your average summertime tank mpg city/hwy normal driving?
Old 07-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

The 79 was a ten mile trip to see what I could do. We had a contest a few years ago on this forum.

The 65 was a combination of mainly highway commute. 65 summer, 54 the other months with a nose dive once temps got down to freezing.

Those were on the same commute. Ive since moved twice, changed jobs a few times. Recently I was averaging 39 a tank with gas, 45 with an e85 mix. Now since the 100k mile tune up Im see 45-47 with mid grade gas. Of course I do a lot of stuff that hurts mpg now. I did have to go where I use to live and notice the instant readout for mpg started to hover around 65 mpg.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in