51.4 mpg avg - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 51.4 mpg avg

I drove over 1000 miles over four days, and averaged 51.4mpg.
10ex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Wow, whats that like 2 tanks of gas? Cant help but think of the saying your insight was getting more *** time than a rental car.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 11:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ex View Post
I drove over 1000 miles over four days, and averaged 51.4mpg.
Congrats on your high mpg skills. Any tankful at an actual 50 mpg or better (not the dashboard gauge which runs +3 mpg over the actual mpg), is more than just good fortune, there's good high mpg driving skills in the mix as well!
Have the engine operate as little as possible, especially when standing still or moving slowly; while also meeting my demands for power and maneuvering. This means most battery charging while cruising city streets and rural roads, max regen from slowing down and downgrades, and only using heater or A/C when the engine is on for other purposes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Moviemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2014, 12:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

seriously wonder how people can manage to get that much mpg on the Insight...

My 500+ mile round trip from the Bay Area to SoCal resulted in an average of... 35.6 mpg (1st tank - 38.2; 2nd tank - 33)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~2010 Honda Insight LX Atomic Blue - 2010-04-25~
~1,000 miles - 2010-07-13~
~10,000 miles - 2011-09-05~
~20,000 miles - 2012-05-22~
~30,000 miles - 2013-03-09~
~40,000 miles - 2013-09-14~
~50,000 miles - 2014-03-20~
~60,000 miles - 2014-08-28~
runtohel121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 01:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

The bay area must be full of stop lights? I had a week off from work, just driving around the community I live with the AC on I averaged 39 on the mid. Next week I went back to work I was back at 45 on the mid. Of course that means keeping with traffic and driving with the AC on.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 02:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

The trip I had was mostly freeway with hills, high speed, etc. And some city driving, maybe ~50 miles worth of city. AC was on most if not all the time.

~2010 Honda Insight LX Atomic Blue - 2010-04-25~
~1,000 miles - 2010-07-13~
~10,000 miles - 2011-09-05~
~20,000 miles - 2012-05-22~
~30,000 miles - 2013-03-09~
~40,000 miles - 2013-09-14~
~50,000 miles - 2014-03-20~
~60,000 miles - 2014-08-28~
runtohel121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Is there a way to adjust the gauge for accurate mpg? Isn't that false advertising?Is odometer off too?
sk8sc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

The odometer / speedometer over-read so I would dispute 'actual'. Therefore the truth lies somewhere higher than what you calculate from fuel receipts vs mileage.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-15-2014, 01:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
The odometer / speedometer over-read so I would dispute 'actual'. Therefore the truth lies somewhere higher than what you calculate from fuel receipts vs mileage.
I'm not familiar with the "odometer / speedometer over-read" that you refer to. Am wondering how much that over-read is?

I also note you are in the UK and so two factors come to mind; (1) Here in the states many areas have very strict rules preventing tampering with the odometer of all vehicles. This is because of our history of thievery in the car resale market, and technical tax issues. (2) A gallon of gasoline in UK is a different volume than a US gallon.
Also: (3) Some people put larger circumference wheels or tires on their car, altering the odometer / speedometer accuracy. This would be a special case circumstance in which the "actual" for most, would not apply.

Given all the above, what language would you suggest as an alternative to "actual", ...to identify and lablel the common process of calculating mpg from fuel receipts and odometer based mileage?
Have the engine operate as little as possible, especially when standing still or moving slowly; while also meeting my demands for power and maneuvering. This means most battery charging while cruising city streets and rural roads, max regen from slowing down and downgrades, and only using heater or A/C when the engine is on for other purposes.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8sc View Post
Is there a way to adjust the gauge for accurate mpg? Isn't that false advertising?Is odometer off too?
I complained to Honda about this several times. Nothing has been done. I've since learned that it is technically difficult to get it accurate. However my wifes I1's gauge is consistent to within 0.05 mpg with fuel receipts and odometer based mileage figures.

I believe that the odometer and speedometer are sufficiently accurate. I believe the error in the mpg gauge readout has to do with the measurement of fuel flow / fuel used by the engine.

I once compared mpg from the gauge with mpg from fuel receipts and odometer readings. I did this for 5 tankfuls. The gauge averaged 2.93 mpg higher than the hand calculated mpg, per tankful. As a practical matter I assume the gauge mpg is 3 mpg high. I assume the miles to go before you run out of gas screen, is too high and untrustworthy.

Last edited by Moviemike; 07-15-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in