EPA Says What?? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default EPA Says What??

51.02 Actual MPG. Fill took 9.1 gal after 2nd click off. Last tank was 45.5, and i though THAT was good... This tank was less highway travel than normal. A lot of 45 mph roads. I can get used to this!

Last edited by Johnnymac813; 08-02-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Johnnymac813 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Yeah, nice.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Was just going to post same MPG results on this tank so far... 54.3 indicated which will be about 50-52 measured. The surprise comes when you figure that I'm lugging my bicycle on the hitch rack, and using A/C.

Driving has been a mix of back roads, 35 to 50 mph and a few blasts down the interstate (Turnpike here in Maine) at 65-70 mph. And remember that I climb 712 feet each time I come home from the coastal sections of the State. Been doing much of my bicycle riding near the coast where it's a little cooler.

EPA must have measured MPG for the Insight on a cold January day, climbing Pikes Peak in Colorado with a full load of people aboard. It's the only way they could have gotten consistent 44 mpg runs... and they didn't measure coming back down!

My wife's Prius is beating me by about a 1 to 2 MPG right now, but she doesn't have a bicycle messing up the aero out back, like I do most of the time. That will change when the A/C is no longer needed and I start riding here in the hills (where I live) as the weather cools off in the next month or so.

The car still amazes. Too bad it got mild reviews upon introduction and Honda let EPA get away with such poor MPG test results. This car is just as efficient as the Prius in most cases.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Foresight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Objectively speaking, the EPA seems to have put in a pretty good estimate.

All the I2s on Fuelly are averaging 44 mpgUS (mainly US vehicles) On www.honestjohn.co.uk they're averaging 43mpgUS (mainly UK vehicles).

Maybe you'd prefer Europe's NEDC rating? That has I2s (depending on exact model) getting 51-57mpgUS combined figures.

I'm personally averaging much closer to the EPA figures.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
Objectively speaking, the EPA seems to have put in a pretty good estimate.

All the I2s on Fuelly are averaging 44 mpgUS (mainly US vehicles) On www.honestjohn.co.uk they're averaging 43mpgUS (mainly UK vehicles).

Maybe you'd prefer Europe's NEDC rating? That has I2s (depending on exact model) getting 51-57mpgUS combined figures.

I'm personally averaging much closer to the EPA figures.

Just depends on your particular commute. If you do a lot of highway driving at 70-75 mph, combined with normal city driving, you will get 43 - 45 mpg, or less if you don't try. If you take back roads, maximize driving techniques, try really hard, you can get much higher of course.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

The majority of people don't try much and the EPA has to pick a representative figure for all vehicles not play to the I2's strengths.

It all depends on where, when, how far and how fast you drive.

Short journeys, temperatures, hills, speed, traffic and driving style all contribute.

When I say close to the EPA average, I'm talking over 26,000 miles. I've seen individual journeys over 70 mpg. I sometimes see the 20s too. Same driving style for both. The main difference is where I drive and the length of journey.

Last edited by Uriel; 08-06-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
The majority of people don't try much and the EPA has to pick a representative figure for all vehicles not play to the I2's strengths.

It all depends on where, when, how far and how fast you drive.

Short journeys, temperatures, hills, speed, traffic and driving style all contribute.

When I say close to the EPA average, I'm talking over 26,000 miles. I've seen individual journeys over 70 mpg. I sometimes see the 20s too. Same driving style for both. The main difference is where I drive and the length of journey.

I agree with you 100%. Plus, the I2 is not a car that you can just hop into for the first time, and get awesome mpg. It took me a 3-4 tanks of gas to finally break 45 mpg for a full tank average. My first tank was like 36 mpg. There is a YouTube consumer reports review on the 2011 insight where the guy just trashed the car saying the technology was outdated and honda needs to go back to the drawing board, etc. He admitted he averaged 36 mpg, but his wife got a little more. He was probably given the car for a week or less to generate an opinion. Nobody can give an accurate review on this car in a weeks time. If he would have popped 51 mpg during his review, I'm sure he would sing a different tune.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

The Insight like many other Hondas and I imagine other vehicles learns and adjusts to your driving style. For example when I owned a scion it was demostrated if you accelerated past you desired speed, then lift off the throttle and reapply pressure to a slightly slower speed you got better mpg for your trip. It was also suggested when you changed the intake or exhaust to disconnect the battery wait 15 minutes, then let the car idle for 15 minutes to relearn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnymac813 View Post
I agree with you 100%. Plus, the I2 is not a car that you can just hop into for the first time, and get awesome mpg. It took me a 3-4 tanks of gas to finally break 45 mpg for a full tank average.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

I suppose EPA may be fairly average compared to that fuely norm.

On the other hand, I feel I'm a fairly average driver in fairly average driving conditions that include plenty of hill terrain and differing road speed limits. I don't think I'm doing any thing differently than when I drive other vehicles.

Not sure how much one would have to beat up the accelerator to get such low EPA numbers with this car. On the trip home from the dealership 800 miles away or so, the indicated MPG climbed through the 40s into the 50-55 mpg range, driving 60 to 75 mph on interstates.

I was very surprised that this MPG range came up during the trip. Have yet to measure anything lower than 50 mpg this Summer so far. The indicated has been steady between 54 and 58 mpg, that when calculated at the gas pump has stayed at 50 mpg or better.

I would imagine that lower MPG figures might be more attributable to a set of less than good quality non low rolling resistance replacement tires on an Insight, plus running those tires on the car with lower than recommended pressure. That's one thing I do notice a lot of on the roads... flabby looking tires that are alarmingly below recommended on many vehicles.

Or maybe some of us just have really fuel frugal examples!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Foresight; 08-06-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Foresight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 12:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

My thinking has been that the I2's mpg is more sensitive to driving style than most cars. So the EPA figures fit most drivers because their test is designed to reflect that driving style.

So if you drive like most people, some additional air in the tires is a difference that makes an mpg difference for most people. Add in some basic driving style changes in the high mpg direction, and your mpg makes another leap, and you are probably in the upper 40's mpg (using odometer and gas pump numbers). Throw-in some subtleties of driving style, reduced highway speeds, flat terrain, many miles at 35-50 mph, warm temperatures, favorable winds, & etc., etc. mpg's in the low 50's and higher are possible and can become routine.
Have the engine operate as little as possible, especially when standing still or moving slowly; while also meeting my demands for power and maneuvering. This means most battery charging while cruising city streets and rural roads, max regen from slowing down and downgrades, and only using heater or A/C when the engine is on for other purposes.

Moviemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in