New Insight Owner Tips - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Insight Owner Tips

Hey just wanted to introduce myself. VikingStomp is my screen name but I'm Craig from Edmonton Canada. I will be he Litter/100km guy :P

I just bought a used 2012 Insight EX with 8500 km on it so practically brand new. I am super excited to own a green environmentally friendly car and I am excited to see an active forum for this car. It was Honda certified as I bought it right from a Honda dealership. It has been given the full inspection, repairs, maintenance from the dealership and was owned by the dealership as a service loaner before I purchased. From what I can tell its in mint condition.

I have been happily reading through the boards for fuel efficiency tips and ticks and well of ownership tips.

I would love any basic tips you would have for a new Insight owner things I should do things I shouldn't. I am not mechanically savvy and not looking to make any physical modifications just look for general owner information that wouldn't be in the manual and to gain from your experience.

Thanks
VikingStomp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Welcome aboard.

The metrics thing we are slowly getting use to, at least you speak English.

Alot of the basic eco tips work on hybrids like regular cars. Inflating tires to max sidewall psi, driving the speed limit or slightly slower. Taking the highway vs city, hovering around 45-55 mph. Riding brakes to a stop to get all the regen you can. Try buying gas at different stations as they vary in ethanol and octane. We find BP and shell gives the best mpg, sometimes as much as a 5 mpg difference even on regular octane.

Not knowing everything about your cars service history, a bad starter battery can caused low ima performance, random check engine lights and low mpg. You can and should replace it with a group 51 that the civic uses. The cvt fluid should be changed with the first engine oil change, then every other engine oil change. Engine oil should be changed once a year or 10 thousand miles. Brake fluid should be change every 2-3 years.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2015, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Might help others:

Check the all the filters. I just got mine from the dealer and said it was inspected but the cabin and engine filters were dirty.
2010L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2015, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Be mindful of the too small "starter battery" under the hood. Out at the beach I ran the CD player for an hour (with the key in Assessory Position), and drained the battery down, to refusal to start without a jump. Did this 2 more times and had, too soon, to replace the battery. Have gotten into the habit of taking the key out of the ignition, when parked, to prevent this problem.

Mine was among the first off the production line. At around 15k I had to replace tires (due to road hazard). Checked front end alignment and it was way off. Rechecked at around 22k and it was slightly off. Heard it said that newer models fixed this, but ???

Currently at 69.5k with no other problems. Am getting ready to sell it and move on to a '15 Civic Hybrid.
Have the engine operate as little as possible, especially when standing still or moving slowly; while also meeting my demands for power and maneuvering. This means most battery charging while cruising city streets and rural roads, max regen from slowing down and downgrades, and only using heater or A/C when the engine is on for other purposes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Moviemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in