MPG Challenge? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default MPG Challenge?

Fall is upon us and I think it would be fun to have a Challenge to see who can get the best MPG over the course of a complete tank. Not just a short commute. I figure people could post the best numbers this time of year as the use of A/C will be minimal.

This idea might be total bogus but I thought this would be fun.

Just post a pic of your MID, and a brief description of city/highway ratio and maybe the weight load you carried for that tank. (I know some people claim 1-2mpg inaccuracies in the MID but nevertheless we'll all get the idea.)

Lets see what the GEN2 Insights can do!!!!
Bigtipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014, 05:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Red Devil will win this.

No pic but my last tank was a personal best. 59.5 mpgUK indicated (58.6 mpgUK calculated). Sounds pretty good but our gallons are bigger so it just equates to 49.5mpgUS or 4.7 l/100km

I was on holiday so car fully laden, 2 adults and 2 kids plus luggage most of the time. Air con turned on for higher speed roads, off for lower speed. Mix of 50, 60 and 70mph roads. I do tend to drive to the speed limit but do let some speed bleed off on hills.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
Red Devil will win this.
I hope not... Please do beat my economy and tell me how you did it

Here's my fuel log on Spritmonitor.de and on Ecomodder.com:
2011 HIH Elegance => over 41.342 km.

Last edited by RedDevil; 09-08-2014 at 04:23 PM.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Here's my fuel up records from Fuelly.

I attribute that improvement over the last few months to having my rear brakes disassembled, cleared out and reassembled around February, after they were found to be binding.

I don't expect to match RedDevil's consumption, for two main reasons. One is the hills and winding roads round here. The other one is I'm unwilling to drive much below the speed limit. 60 vs 70 mph top speed makes quite a difference. In an 18 mile daily commute about half is on 70mph limit dual carriegeways. I am encouraged that my best tanks are better than RedDevil's worst though .

Oh yeah - I run my tyre pressures at stock too. Everything else at stock, apart from Toyo Proxes CF2, which are slightly lower RR than the stock Dunlop SP2030s, and it's running Honda Green Oil.

Last edited by Uriel; 09-10-2014 at 06:24 AM.
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default my fuel consumption

My last tank was 64mpg,53.3 US mpg,4.4l/100km,22.7km/l. That was calculated tank full to tank full. Indication is always about 4% optimistic.
My average over 9621 miles is 62mpg, 51.6 USmpg,4.6l/100km,21.9km/l.
I have owned the car since late Feb so haven't done a winter in it yet.
I suspect the overall 12 month average will be closer to 60UKmpg.
wass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Would be fun to give it a try. We've definitely cooled down here for the time being. I have a lot of hills and curves to drive, but it's not insurmountable. Have not planned any bigger trips than my normal running around, so may take me some time to go through this tank.

Need to check the tire pressures now that we're averaging temperatures consistently 10 to 20 degrees lower than previous month.

Hopefully, there won't be a need for other family members to drive the Insight during this tank of gas... that will usually drop my average quite a bit (I suspect that heavy feet must be their problem!).

Will stick to speed limits as much as possible. I tend to drive fairly conservatively... no speeding tickets in the last 40 years.

Did get one speeding ticket in Florida between Panama City and Fort Walton Beach (1972 or 73) heading back to a midnight shift during my stint in the Air Force at Hurlburt Field... no one on the road, it was after 11 pm and got caught by a bored Florida Highway Patrol for 5 over the speed limit. Then got caught in southern Germany on my first day out on their roads... was passed very quickly by about 5 cars where their Autobahn ended north of Garmisch back then somewhere close to Oberau. The speed limit lowered quickly as the we headed over a single lane exit... and when I came to down a curve to the old road, the German Polizie just grouped me right in with the bunch of speeding drivers that had just passed me. Nothing I could do to get out of that, and my German was too weak at the time to help in 1974. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

So gotta be doing something right or just extremely lucky. Probably a little of both, since I do try to keep pace during trips that involve the crazy fast Interstate traffic these days.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Foresight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Saturday driving:

IMG_20140907_140229.jpg

Note that my indicated seems to give 6mpg over actual.

I have three potential fuel economy increasing items to be completed shortly. Namely a green oil change, the software updates, and the replacement of a weak 12v battery. That should increase my odds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dmt257; 09-08-2014 at 02:29 PM.
dmt257 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Software updates and a healthy 12V battery will contribute.
You won't notice the effect of Green Oil - yet.
I got it late this spring so most of my experience with it is under mild temperatures, and I cannot tell the difference.
Though we had one very cold morning this summer and as I expected fuel economy suffered on the first few miles - but not by as much as I was accustomed to at that temperature in the winter and early spring.

Ordinary oil gets thicker as it gets cold, exponentially when below freezing.
Green Oil should do that way less quickly, if my Japanese is accurate.

(it isn't really, no idea what it says. Nice colors though)

But the proof of the cake is in the eating. This one needs to be served ice cold for greatest effect.

Last edited by RedDevil; 09-08-2014 at 04:44 PM.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm in a nice coastal temperate climate. +3 average low in coldest months and +18 in warmest. I likely won't see too much of a benefit from it, but it can't hurt

dmt257 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 06:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

dtm257, I think, by looking at your MPG display, you may have failed to mention that where you live, everywhere you drive must be downhill!
Foresight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in