First 70mpg (imp)tank! - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default First 70mpg (imp)tank!

Last tank was 70.4 mpg (58.6 US mpg)

Black_Insight (Honda Insight) | Fuelly

Mods: sidewall psi only.

The last two tanks I've been using 'pulse and glide' on hills. Pulsing on the decline, gliding the incline as much as possible (does it still count as a glide if you all you are doing is coming off throttle? I don't turn off the engine). I live in a hilly area so it's very much a worthwhile technique. That resulted in my tanks jumping by 4-5 mpg.

I've had her six weeks now and so have been on a learning curve in regards to the best ways of treating her, but I'm hoping 70 mpg might become my 'average'. The next tank is almost completed and will be approximately same mpg. Whilst next week she is receiving the software updates and green oil

Hypermiling bug well and truly caught

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dmt257; 09-29-2014 at 10:22 AM.
dmt257 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2014, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well done !
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2014, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Imperially impressive!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Foresight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2014, 05:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Nice job!

If you're really going to get into hypermiling, I suggest extending your tanks and dropping the fuel level down until it's closer to empty before refilling the tank. You're carrying around and extra 40 or 50 lb (couple of stones) with that much gas (petrol) left in the tank, your best MPGs will come when the tank is closer to empty. Shoot for 600 miles on this tank

Your Fuelly chart looks like you've already come a long way! It definitely is addictive!
cowmeat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2014, 05:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
Nice job!

If you're really going to get into hypermiling, I suggest extending your tanks and dropping the fuel level down until it's closer to empty before refilling the tank. You're carrying around and extra 40 or 50 lb (couple of stones) with that much gas (petrol) left in the tank, your best MPGs will come when the tank is closer to empty. Shoot for 600 miles on this tank

Your Fuelly chart looks like you've already come a long way! It definitely is addictive!
Of course, running down the tank to near empty makes sense. I think I'm always eager to get a true mpg reading at least once per week I'll run it down in future.

With any luck I'm hoping to see an extra few mpg with the green oil and all (three I believe mine is due) software updates!

Old 09-30-2014, 06:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Trust me, the first time you log a 600 mile tank onto Fuelly, you'll never go back to getting gas once a week again!
My next goal is a 700 mile tank, that probably won't happen this tank, but it's something to shoot for.
You can find my car (Turtle) on both Fuelly and Ecomodder, I'm going to all-out hypermile it and see what it will do.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Add me on fuelly, cow. I can't find you.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Here are the links to Turtle on Fuelly and Ecomodder.com

Turtle (Honda Insight) | Fuelly

Details: Turtle - 2000 Honda Insight Fuel Economy - EcoModder.com

I friended you on Fuelly, too

Last edited by cowmeat; 09-30-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Ah, you have the gen one.

If I didn't have the dog I may well have plumped for one of those. 100mpg (imp) potential there

Old 10-01-2014, 11:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yep, it took me two solid two months to come up with that Gen-1. Love it so far!

The 58 mpg you got is awesome in a newer one! Keep it up, and every tank try to improve on it. Make sure your tires are pumped up, etc. . . . there are a million tricks to play around with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in