61.4 MPG US local driving! - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2014, 08:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 61.4 MPG US local driving!

I share DMT257 enthusiasm in his last post. I did an experiment and reset the MID trip meter. I took a 40 mile round trip local driving trip here in Central Florida with many lights and stops. I had the windows open, no A/C (its been real nice) and drove like I always do smooth and steady with a max speed of 55 mph on some open roads. By the way, for those of you who think Florida is flat, come to Clermont. It's a lot of hills and valleys. That's why I like this part of the state so much. I did check my MID often and used the speedometer coach to watch my driving.

This car is incredible and so far has really exceeded my expectations with fuel economy. I am beginning to believe those Youtube videos with guys getting 70 MPG US on highway driving.

I can see how you could really cut your mileage down with the way you drive and I guess that's why it got the EPA mileage rating that it did. I guess if you push the accelerator on the floor at every start just from what the MID says, you could potentially be in the high 20's or low 30's?

In any case so far the car has performed every bit as good as the Prius which was my other choice. I am glad I got the Insight as I am Really liking it!
Jazzyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Driving style is a major key to fuel economy with the car, as you are learning. Wonderful little gems
Old 10-08-2014, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Nice.

Eco driving techniques are easy to implement and will give large rewards in FE terms.

On the national speed limit roads (60mph) I've been using a base speed of 45-50mph depending upon the road and accelerating before hills to a max of 65mph. I'll then be off throttle for the incline as much as possible without letting speed drop below 40.

I would estimate that gave me 4-5mpg as opposed to leaving it in cruise. I live in a hilly area though.

What year do you have? Do you have the software updates?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dmt257 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi DMT and Jime,

There used to be a national speed limit which was imposed here in I think 1974 when we had the first so called fuel crises. It was 55 mph and since then states have raised those limits when the government continued highway funding even if they raised their speed limit. Till that time, states were forced to have the national 55 speed limit or they did not get the funding. I have to say that I have always believed that the 55 mph speed limit was the way to go and still think that. I find the best fuel economy even with my conventional cars at 55. Besides that I really feel its just a safer speed with reaction times increasing as speed decreases.

I will say with the Insight that if I was going downhill I would let the insight go over the 55 to maximize regen.

DMT, I have a 2014 and just got it last month. I did ask the dealer to make sure all updates were and they assured me they were. It's funny that you ask that because I just posted a question in one of the other postings. I believe it was the Technical topics regarding software updates and if there was a way to first see your software updates and second to compare that with Honda's revisions or updates on a website or something? Similar to a piece of software that tells you the revisions and what they improved.

In any case, So far real happy with the car and you guys on this forum have been invaluable for information!

Last edited by Jazzyjeff; 10-08-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Jazzyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Congrats on the car and your mileage, Jazzy. I'm just tickling 60.0 lifetime MPG in the couple of months I've owned my Insight.

The National Maximum Speed Limit was implemented for fuel savings after the government-exacerbated "fuel crisis" of 1973. After the crisis subsided, they then claimed it was because "speed kills" and other disproven myths. Unfortunately all it did was breed widespread disregard for the law. It also spawned an institutional disdain in governments large and small for science-based policy that persists today, not to mention enforcement for revenue instead of compliance.

Speed Limits: Frequently Asked Questions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fuelish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

If I drive it like I stole it around town (running up to 40 in second, aggressively accelerating and braking to jockey in traffic) I still get over 50 mpg.

Driving the way I usually do in the same traffic, I typically get 65, although that will drop a bit as winter approaches.

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

National speed limit in the UK is 60 for single carriageways, 70 for dual carriageways and motorways.

I'm fairly sure that my willingness to drive up to those limits and lack of willingness to increase tyre pressure much over Honda's recommendations are the main reasons I've never had a tank over 60 mpgUK.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

National speed limit during the first big energy "crisis" was imposed to try to get fuel economy up a tad back in the days when normal family cars were pushing to get 12 to 18 mpg, if that much. It didn't work very well.

The Oil Crisis was politically ginned up by OPEC. It put some serious hurt on the world economy, which was exactly their intent. These guys are still around today, but they have lost some of their strangle hold on energy supplies luckily.

Speed does influence mortality in crashes. Fortunately, safety measures imposed or mandated by big "gubmint" regulation has helped to increase survival rates in automobile crashes. There are roads and areas where speeds of 75 mph or more can be driven safely. There are roads where 25 to 35 mph can be dangerous.

From seat belt laws, to crumple zones, to air bags, ABS, dynamic stability systems, passenger cell engineering, and more, the list has improved safety for all occupants.

We still die at a rate of over 35,000 people per year in car accidents in the U.S. at this point. But that's down significantly from the pre national 55 mph speed limit days of 1972 when 54,589 deaths were recorded. Deaths were down to 44,525 in 1975, a year after the 55 mph speed limit came into being.

Given the same circumstances, you are still less likely to die in a 25 mph crash, compared to a crash at 75 mph. It's a pretty simple physics thing.

Reasonable speed for conditions, as long as the car and driver are capable, is not a problem. I just returned from a 3,300 mile trip, and saw traffic density where multiple accidents were occurring at speeds of around 35 mph! Mostly due to carelessness or more likely distracted drivers. Totally avoidable incidents that caused big dents and no fatalities.
Foresight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

35,000 is insane.

Adjusted for our population the UK equivalent is about 17,000. We generally have higher speed limits and much narrower, more congested roads too.

dmt257 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Dang Jeff, you're like an hour from me. I didn't know anybody on here lived so close. You ought to put yourself on the map, it's in a post somewhere here

I wish this site showed the cars, so I'd know if I ever passed you on the road!

I'll have moon discs on mine next weekend, so if you see the silver Gen-1 in central Florida with moons and a big ecomodder decal on the back, that's me
"Ron Burgundy" 2001 custom burgundy MT, 112K miles, new IMA battery, sunroof, shaved doors, black leather interior, solar charger, grid charger, Kenwood 4 speaker sound, 3D printed 3-button shifter, custom lower grill block, pod side mirrors, mirrored moon discs

"Turtle" 2000 Silver MT #880 ***retired***
cowmeat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in