Whats the "sweet" speed - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2015, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Whats the "sweet" speed

Hello all,

Had a question regarding MPG speeds. I took the Insight on the Interstate and my son had to get to the airport. As usual he was running late so I had to pick the speed up on the Insight to around 65 as the speed limit was 65. I usually do not drive any faster than 55. I noticed at 65 MPH I was averaging about 49 MPG.
Once I dropped him off, I drove back home at 55 MPH and seemed to be getting much better MPG, like 54 MPG.
It almost seems to me that the Insight likes the 45-50 MPH speed to get maximum MPG? I was getting almost 62 MPG at that speed on local roads. Any thoughts on this?
Jazzyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2015, 08:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

It all depends on the car...condition...and driver.

But here is a link:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...nda-23230.html
nachoshahaha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2015, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

You run out of gearing at 45 mph. So any faster than that you use engine rpm vs power to reach your desired speed.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2015, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Great explanations,,thx guys.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

So many variables. Temperature, terrain, wind, dry vs wet weather, physical road surface condition, traffic type, driver patience, vehicle condition, to include tire pressure, load in car, and type of oil in crankcase, among others.

In most situations, I see best MPG in the 40 to 55 mph range when I'm in the Insight. Our Prius can get better MPG in urban driving situations, so speeds down in the 35 to 45 mpg are nearly optimal for that car. I'm a fairly patient driver, and look way ahead to anticipate acceleration and braking/coasting. Steady accelerator, and steady wheel. Compared to other Prius drivers I know, my driving technique gets me a good extra 4-5 mpg in the Prius and way better tire longevity, too.

I know several people who drive Prii, even family members, so it's easy to compare notes. I know people who have more than one Prius in their garage. Can't compare MPG numbers with other Insight drivers locally. Have no acquaintances or family members that drive Insights. Don't normally see that many Insights around our area, even.

That has to be due to the incredible job Honda did marketing this car!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Foresight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2015, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Good point. Are we setting the cruse control and just steering down the road or is this a contest? The better way is to pulse n glide as that can expose the engine to the sweet spot as the cvt cant lug the engine enough on level surface with fully inflated tires and little to no wind.

Just think to the graph you may see with the circles in it showing load vs efficiency of an engine. You want the car to be in one of those spots.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2015, 07:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Real good explanations. I did notice that the temp variables are also in there as the car will react differently in different climate conditions affecting things like auto-stop, etc. You guys are a wealth of information! Thanks
Old 01-26-2015, 10:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

There is a technical threshold - actually two: the maximal ratio of the CVT and the minimal RPM at any speed.

When the CVT maxes out I get 20 times the RPM per km/h (32 times RPM per mph).
So at 100 km/h (62 mph) the engine does 2000 RPM, at 60 kmh it does 1200 RPM.... but below 55 km/h (34 mph) the RPM will sink no further.
Go any lower than that in speed and the engine will have to turn over more per distance covered.

I do have a 5 km stretch of flat rural road with a speed limit of 60 km/h in my commute (as an option).
On a warm and windless day I can see the instant FE reading drop as low as 2.6 l/100 km for miles on end when doing 58 km/h (35 mph).
I cannot get that low on the freeway, even when drafting trucks at 50 mph.
(as always I mean drafting at a safe distance of over 2 seconds away)

I believe the sweet spot is around 58 km/h (35 mph), driving a constant speed at just over 1100 RPM.
I tried P&G-ing but it does not seem to improve economy, at least not at that speed.
But 2.6 l/100 km (about 85 mpg) is nothing to be ashamed of.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Red Devil,
Interesting, I notice that going 55 mph, I do fairly well depending on wind conditions, etc. There is a video of a guy Hypermiling with the Gen 2 version on Youtube. Check it out if you get a chance. Looks like he is going like 55? He got like 70 MPG on the vehicle. Wow!
Old 01-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

AAMOF I drove that same road this afternoon, wet road, no rain, 6C / 42F, mild wind aft, but not straight aft.
I kept it below 3.0 l/100 km all the way until I had to wait behind some bicyclists for the oncoming traffic to pass us (narrow road).
So even in these less than optimal conditions I can get about 80 mpg driving 35 mph by cruise control.

If you want to go faster and still have good FE you need special conditions, like a good draft from a semi or a tight pack of traffic.

I am pretty sure that if you'd let me drive in circles inside a stadium or so I could get over 1500 km / 900 miles on one tank driving my car just as it is.
If I set the tire pressure to over 50 PSI, block some more grill, leave the lights, A/C and stereo off and dump anything removable that isn't needed to keep the car moving then over 1000 miles on a single tank is entirely possible.
I'd need more than 24 hours, but I would make it.

Driving out in the wild (i.e. my daily 22 mile commute, part city, part highway, part rural) I have yet to beat my goal of over 1000 km (600 miles) per tank. I've been close; had the chance more than once but either chickened out or took advantage of a special discount...
But things are looking good lately. The winter slump is less than usual, if I can keep this up in summer I'll beat it

Last edited by RedDevil; 01-26-2015 at 03:54 PM.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in